Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
ISO decent floor pump
Quote | Reply
Time for a new floor pump. I've ben using a Specialized AirTool Pro for a long time but it's been shittty for at least a couple of years and I've just been putting up with it. It was supposed to have a lifetime warranty - which it why i paid $100+ for it - but they convienently refuse to acknowledge that they once upon a time offered a lifetime warranty. And besides - F*ck Specialized. So looking for suggestions for a reasonably priced pump. I have no interest in a $450 hand crafted artisan engineering marvel. I'd like a reasonably accurate gauge and prefer metal construction with replacable parts. The Serfas FMP-500 caught my eye but lets hear some suggestions.
Quote Reply
Re: ISO decent floor pump [TH3_FRB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a Specialized Air Tool Pro as well. I’m looking at the Silca Pista. It’s $125

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Last edited by: BryanD: May 21, 18 9:24
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Topeak Joe Blow, and it has been a great pump. The gauge is very accurate compared to my analog external Accugage gauge. The head is versatile and works well with both valve types. I love the high capacity per stroke.

https://www.amazon.com/...e-Pump/dp/B000FIE4GI

That said, I recently switched to a Silca Pista because it connects easier to my Silca Hiro chuck. I love that chuck. The Topeak gauge is more accurate than my Silca gauge.
Quote Reply
Re: ISO decent floor pump [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you had any issues with the standard Silca presta head (the 17-4) not working short to medium valve lengths? I have that head mounted on my specialized pump, and when it works it's amazing; however, on the tubeless valves i used most often, it doesn't grip.To me, the valve looks plenty long. My bontrager pump grips it fine with plenty of excess showing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you like the Pista? How hard is it to pump with 2 hands? Did you get the travel bag?

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: ISO decent floor pump [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sxevegan wrote:
Have you had any issues with the standard Silca presta head (the 17-4) not working short to medium valve lengths? I have that head mounted on my specialized pump, and when it works it's amazing; however, on the tubeless valves i used most often, it doesn't grip.To me, the valve looks plenty long. My bontrager pump grips it fine with plenty of excess showing.
I actually never used the standard head. I bought the Hiro chuck first, and was loving it. But, I had a jacked-up attachment to get it to work with my Topeak pump. I splurged and got the Pista and immediately swapped the chucks. Now I use the Topeak pump as my general around-the-house pump, and I use the Pista for just my bikes (it is a lot more compact and easier to travel with).
BryanD wrote:
Do you like the Pista? How hard is it to pump with 2 hands? Did you get the travel bag?
I love the Pista. It is good looking, especially with its fancy wooden handle. And, it is easier to travel with than the much larger Topeak pump. It is easy to pump one or two handed. About the only disadvantage to my other pump is the lower capacity per pump stroke. And, I wish that the gauge was like 110 or 120 PSI instead of 220 PSI. I will probably never pump a tire above 100 PSI, so over 50% of the gauge's range is useless to me.

I did not get the travel bag. I really liked it, and I would use it. But, the extra $75 was a bit rich for a nylon bag. Plus, when I use it for races, I just strap it to the side of my transition bag.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm sold then! I wanted a nice travel pump to replace my aging Specialized pump but I don't have a need for the $450 SuperPista. Thanks! I'll order one soon

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i love my lezyne alloy floor drive pump. the head screws on for both presta and shrader valves so there's never any question on whether you seated it correctly. i had an issue with it once and lezyne quickly sent me a replacement seal which took me all of 5 minutes to replace.
Quote Reply
Re: ISO decent floor pump [jazzymusicman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
X2 on Lezyne
Quote Reply
Re: ISO decent floor pump [Greatzaa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
X3 on lezyne Tall alloy pump! Have 2 and they are great!

"I swim because that's how I get to ride my bike."

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got a Topeak Joe Blow... Inexpensive up front (like $50? don't really even remember), never given me a moment's trouble. I'm willing to spend the coin for fancy shoes, wheels, etc, so if I really thought the pimpest pump was worth $200 I could stomach that, but I can't see any way that it could do the job any better or more reliably than the JB. I've since gotten a second one for the vacation home; no worthwhile reason to choose something else just to be different that I could see.
Quote Reply
Re: ISO decent floor pump [Dopers.Suck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Love my Lezyne. Added a Silca 'Hiro side lever locking chuck' , and even better!
Quote Reply
Re: ISO decent floor pump [clydecat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have been thinking about putting a Hiro chuck on my Leznye. Can you just unscrew the old fitting and screw on the Hiro?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you ever plan on tubeless, consider the topeak booster pump. It's about $150...works great pumping up normal tubes and I've used it to seat both cross and MTB tubeless wheels (soon to try road as well).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use a performance (nashbar?) blue pump. It's like 15 years old. Perfect. Accurate pressure gauge. Why do you want fancy pumps? Replaceable parts? Hah! Buy a $50 pump, use it for years, replace when (if) it breaks. I think that my pump was $20 back in the day, maybe $15 on sale...
Quote Reply
Re: ISO decent floor pump [Greatzaa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My pump has the reversible adapter for presta and schrader. The hiro adapter screws into the schrader side. The only draw back is that the hose and Hiro are to long to fit into the hook at the bottom of the pump.
Quote Reply
Re: ISO decent floor pump [giorgitd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
giorgitd wrote:
I use a performance (nashbar?) blue pump. It's like 15 years old. Perfect. Accurate pressure gauge. Why do you want fancy pumps? Replaceable parts? Hah! Buy a $50 pump, use it for years, replace when (if) it breaks. I think that my pump was $20 back in the day, maybe $15 on sale...

I have one of the cheaper Performance Bike floor pumps too. It's great, pumps air into the tires. Gauge is accurate. Why spend a ton on a floor pump - its such a utilitarian thing??
Quote Reply
Re: ISO decent floor pump [Etip] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/900-floor-pump-black-id_8224360.html

I bought that. Works. has a gauge. Better than my old one which is wo gauge. Accuracy unknown of course
Quote Reply
Re: ISO decent floor pump [giorgitd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
giorgitd wrote:
I had blue Nashbar pump that is fine.

http://www.jt10000.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very happy with my Lezyne travel pump.... I added a presta locking pump head and its a slam dunk for me with a total out of pocket of ~$100.

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...avel%20pump#p6514591
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can completely rebuild the pump. I have mine (I don't have the Pro version). $7-9 kit does everything. Worth looking at. THe rebuild option is why I bought mine.
Quote Reply
Re: ISO decent floor pump [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the Joe Blow and a Blackburn Air Tower. They ride around in our cars, get used by the kids, work for both valve kinds...both are less than $50 and have accurate gauges. Don't overthink it.
Quote Reply
Re: ISO decent floor pump [Etip] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Etip wrote:
I have one of the cheaper Performance Bike floor pumps too. It's great, pumps air into the tires. Gauge is accurate. Why spend a ton on a floor pump - its such a utilitarian thing??
Yeah, I bought the Performance Hurricane Essential (now called the Spin Doctor 2) for $19 about ten years ago. I use it daily and it's still going strong. The double sided chuck is a great design and the best Presta/Schrader solution I've seen.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another vote for the Lezyne floor drive. I have both the HP and HV versions. I have had issues with their chucks at times, but Lezyne has replaced them free every time.

"Most of my heroes don't appear on no stamps"
Blog = http://extrememomentum.com|Photos = http://wheelgoodphotos.com
Quote Reply
Re: ISO decent floor pump [prefersdirt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't think mine is worth it. The check valve in the gauge is shot and it doesn't hold pressure.

prefersdirt wrote:
You can completely rebuild the pump. I have mine (I don't have the Pro version). $7-9 kit does everything. Worth looking at. THe rebuild option is why I bought mine.
Quote Reply

Prev Next