Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IM with Medial Meniscus Tear
Quote | Reply
I've been dealing with some minor knee pain for months and finally went to an ortho and had an MRI that revealed a medial meniscus tear. During this time Ive been still running 20-25 miles/week and the only pain is for the first 2-3 minutes of the run. I haven't been doing any real high intensity runs nor avoiding trail running as well. After runs, the knee does not swell or do I have any pain while sitting or standing. Most of the pain incurred is just doing daily tasks or playing anything that requires quick change of directions. The doctor advised that surgery is most likely inevitable so my question to all of you who have had similar experiences or in a similar situation is the timing of it. I'm in for IMAZ this year as its required as my validation for my 2020 Kona Legacy Slot. I was thinking of trying to push thru the training for AZ and focus mostly on Swim-Bike and have the surgery immediately after AZ giving myself nearly 11 months to train for Kona. In the few months of running with it , it has not become worse or more painful. My other alternative would be to try and have the surgery ASAP and leave myself with a shortened training schedule for AZ. Either way I will have no specific goal for AZ as Kona is the race that is really important to me, and being ready for that in the very best shape and health possible. Thanks in advance for any advice or personal experiences, Steve
Quote Reply
Re: IM with Medial Meniscus Tear [steve1128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe we'll be walking together at IMAZ :)
I had a left Medial muniscus tear in 97, and elected no surgery, because if something went south, it could have jeopardized my military career. Normal life was fine. Running hard was out. I could jog slow, pass my fitness tests, but could no longer race hard or play something like tennis. I jog-tested it regularly, as I always had a comeback in the back of my mind. It took 16 years. My comeback came as a master, and I've had the most incredible last 7 years of racing and hauling in age group awards (and even a few overalls).

Last summer the right knee started acting up. This spring despite knowing better, I ran a hard marathon. A week and a half later, the knee really started hurting on anything more than a shuffle, and any twisting/side pressure killed it. I know the routine all too well. I haven't been to a doc. Retired on a pension, and it's either pay a ton of co-pays, for something I'm very experienced with, or buy bike parts (I can cycle fine). Two months later, and I'm back to 20 mph of easy shuffling. Pain threshold is at about a 9:30 pace. Normal life and swim and bike isn't effected at all. Once again, I'm electing no surgery, to keep doing what I'm doing, and I'll do my best at IMAZ, and then go from there.

But, since I have zero meniscus surgery experience, don't listen to me. I've long since run out of PR's and goal races! Just thought I'd give my own experience, and maybe see you at IMAZ!

Athlinks / Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
steve1128 wrote:
I've been dealing with some minor knee pain for months and finally went to an ortho and had an MRI that revealed a medial meniscus tear. During this time Ive been still running 20-25 miles/week and the only pain is for the first 2-3 minutes of the run. I haven't been doing any real high intensity runs nor avoiding trail running as well. After runs, the knee does not swell or do I have any pain while sitting or standing. Most of the pain incurred is just doing daily tasks or playing anything that requires quick change of directions. The doctor advised that surgery is most likely inevitable so my question to all of you who have had similar experiences or in a similar situation is the timing of it. I'm in for IMAZ this year as its required as my validation for my 2020 Kona Legacy Slot. I was thinking of trying to push thru the training for AZ and focus mostly on Swim-Bike and have the surgery immediately after AZ giving myself nearly 11 months to train for Kona. In the few months of running with it , it has not become worse or more painful. My other alternative would be to try and have the surgery ASAP and leave myself with a shortened training schedule for AZ. Either way I will have no specific goal for AZ as Kona is the race that is really important to me, and being ready for that in the very best shape and health possible. Thanks in advance for any advice or personal experiences, Steve

Get the surgery now. You'll be back running in 2 weeks. Water run and trainer ride right after surgery. You'll miss little real training time and be confident that you're good to go. Having the thought that the knee may lock at any time on your training would not be a good thing for me. You could get right up to the race date and have it go south. Get the surgery and have it behind you. I've done it twice (once on each knee) and it's a piece of cake.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you get cut now, you may have a shot at AZ 100% healthy. I had mine done in during June a few years ago. I was in the pool as soon as the stitches came out. The bike trainer the next day albeit 10min less than 70 watts, but outdoors by July 4th. Btw that was a 40 mile ride with some climbing. And running i want to say in less that 4 weeks. I did a spring tri, I know not an IM, in Sept. Just makes sure you have your PT setup while planning the surgery schedule. So you get started immediately. I did not do that, and it took a week to get into PT.

2017 Cervelo P2
2017 Cervelo S2
itraininla.com
#itraininla
Quote Reply
Re: IM with Medial Meniscus Tear [Dean T] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Guys, Really appreciate the feedback and advice. Went ahead and scheduled surgery for June 13th. Thanks for the push. I kinda felt that way too but needed some reassurance I guess. I could work thru the discomfort right now running but would have been nervous about slipping, stumbling or 1 of any 1000 everyday occurrences that would have put me out of AZ which would put me out of Kona. Thanks again!! Steve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
steve1128 wrote:
Hey Guys, Really appreciate the feedback and advice. Went ahead and scheduled surgery for June 13th. Thanks for the push. I kinda felt that way too but needed some reassurance I guess. I could work thru the discomfort right now running but would have been nervous about slipping, stumbling or 1 of any 1000 everyday occurrences that would have put me out of AZ which would put me out of Kona. Thanks again!! Steve

Smart move IMO. Before my surgery I was doing a LOT of water running to maintain fitness as mine seemed to carry more soreness than yours does. If it does bother you and you feel you'd prefer to not damage it, I'd suggest the terribly boring but crazy effective water running regime. I went into both surgeries in great shape and as a result came back crazy fast with no issues. I also stayed awake during the surgery with only a spinal so I could see and hear what the Doc found......it really helped when he confirmed no ligament issues, no unusual wear or arthritis as I had been running for a number of years and was old. Much older now, and the knees are awesome! Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Had meniscus pain 3 months before an IM in 2004. Pushed the doctor to get me through it and he offered Celebrex which did make pain disappear. Swim, bike and half the run ok. Conditioning from lack of run training forced a walk the second half. Celebrex also gummed up by GI tract but felt no knee pain. Fast forward to 2006 and had knee lock up and 70% of medial posterior horn removed per doc. Back running after about 6 weeks, but lost my mojo for awhile as other knee started hurting, but more degenerative per doc and he recommended no surgery. Tried stem cells for OA knee (degenerative) in 2012 and waited 9 months and started racing again sprints for most part. Both knees are behaving fine on low mileage weeks, though the OA knee occassionally gets off the track and requires massage type work on muscle imbalances and trigger points.

Being the knucklehead I am, I am now in training for an IM in 2020 in hopes of qualifying for Kona. Swim & bike going well, building run very slowly and so far so good. Also trying to be a better fat burner which I think helps with inflammation issues.

The jury is still out on stem cells but mine seems to be holding well for the degenerative/OA knee. The surgical knee seems fine on low mileage despite doctor saying I will definite get OA there do given how much cartilage he removed.

Good luck....work on muscle imbalances, hip and ankle mobility which may further help that knee.
Quote Reply
Re: IM with Medial Meniscus Tear [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
my no pain limit is about 11min/mile and only about 5 miles..

I have next to no left medial (15-20%) post surgery... surgery was a must given my gate was completely F'd
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's comforting to read that you had such a good outcome for the meniscus repair. I had a MRI yesterday and the laundry list of defects in my right knee is daunting. I see the sports orthopedist next week to see what all this means. I just want to finish out this year and then will probably shift to aquabike (aka, gimpy division).

Exam Date/Time: 05/21/2019 08:03 Finalized On: 05/21/2019 16:07 MRI KNEE WITHOUT CONTRAST RIGHT CLINICAL INDICATION: Right knee pain COMPARISON: 4/17/2019 TECHNIQUE: Multiplanar, multisequence imaging without contrast. FINDINGS: MENISCI:There is complex tear of the body and posterior horn of the medial meniscus. The lateral meniscus is intact. CRUCIATE LIGAMENTS: Intact.There is a PCL ganglion. COLLATERAL LIGAMENTS:There is right 1 sprain of the MCL. The LCL is intact and unremarkable. EXTENSOR MECHANISM: Intact ARTICULAR CARTILAGE:There is a 1.3 cm osteochondral defect of the weightbearing surface of the medial femoral condyle, with surrounding edema. No evidence of free fragment. There is near complete denudation of the patellofemoral cartilage. BONE AND BONE MARROW : As above. There are tricompartmental marginal osteophytes area JOINTS: There is a small joint effusion. ADDITIONAL FINDINGS:There is a 2.9 cm popliteal cyst that is partially extruded. IMPRESSION: MEDIAL MENISCAL TEAR MCL SPRAIN PCL GANGLION 1.3 CM OSTEOCHONDRAL DEFECT MEDIAL FEMORAL CONDYLE OSTEOARTHRITIS PARTIALLY EXTRUDED POPLITEAL CYST SMALL JOINT EFFUSION
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had the same problem.....had surgery. Was running in 2 week (that hurt) was on the bike and swimming in 1 week. 60 days post surgery was running ok 120 days post surgery ran a marathon pain free.
Quote Reply
Re: IM with Medial Meniscus Tear [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Surgical RN here that does orthopedics…..all this means is that your having surgery and not running for a while.....maybe a good long while
Quote Reply
Re: IM with Medial Meniscus Tear [Scottxs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Scottxs wrote:
Surgical RN here that does orthopedics…..all this means is that your having surgery and not running for a while.....maybe a good long while

Not surprising, but I'll see if he thinks I can get through the year without surgery. I walked the Gulf Coast 70.3 a couple of weeks ago and am already registered for two IMs this year that I want to finish. If that's the end of the line for triathlon, there are plenty of other swim and bike goals I can tackle.

FYI - I was able to alternate walking and jogging for 6 miles a couple of days ago and will be doing that again tonight.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Had the surgery a few days ago. Partial menisectemy and subchonroplasty. Hopefully biking and swimming soon and won’t rush back into running. IMAZ in November with completion as my only goal as it’s my validating race for Kona 2020 legacy slot. Thanks again for all your input. Steve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good luck & keep us posted.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
steve1128 wrote:
Had the surgery a few days ago. Partial menisectemy and subchonroplasty. Hopefully biking and swimming soon and won’t rush back into running. IMAZ in November with completion as my only goal as it’s my validating race for Kona 2020 legacy slot. Thanks again for all your input. Steve

Hey Steve, good choice! If I can be of any help or even a sounding board for you, don’t hesitate to ask. I’m sure you’ll be back better than ever as I’ve been. Careful on the pool wall push offs but other than that I know you’ll be stronger than ever.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
steve1128 wrote:

You've been given bad advice regarding the surgery. Arthroscopy for meniscal lesions doesn't outperform placebo surgery.
When the schedule allows, dial back the running a bit, hit the gym hard for some quads strength, and then gradually build the running up again.

Remember about 50% of people above the age of 45-50 have meniscal tears on MRI, most often they don't cause any symptoms. Good luck
Last edited by: Aidan: Jun 22, 19 14:11
Quote Reply