Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IM moves Santa Cruz date to same day as Malibu Tri
Quote | Reply
I'm tired of making excuses for this company. IM 70.3 Santa Cruz has been the same date for several years, and now that Malibu Tri has a half they moved Santa Cruz a week so that it's the same f-ing day as Malibu.

I hope people will consider this when picking between the two
Last edited by: peace242000: Oct 19, 19 8:32
Quote Reply
Re: IM moves Santa Cruz date to kill another race [peace242000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
while I don't doubt WTC's predatory practices, Sep. 8 to Sep. 13 is not that big of a shift and honestly, how many people would you expect to do two 70.3s within 1-2 weeks of each other across two separate metropolitan areas?

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Labor Day this year was on Sep. 2. They held the race the following weekend (Sep. 8)

Labor Day next year is Sep. 7. The race is scheduled for the following weekend (Sep. 13)

I'm not quite sure I see how to ascribe any malice to this.
Quote Reply
Re: IM moves Santa Cruz date to kill another race [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did! a long w/ several friends, and even more did the Malibu sprint and santa cruz 70.3

The Malibu Sprint is HUGE and you can bet your life that next year Superfrog will be the same day. When IM acquired Superfrog they moved it to the same weekend as malibu, but it hasn;t been enough. Now we have 2 out of the 4 yearly Ironman 70.3's in CA on the SAME DAY in addition to the Malibu half.

People made excuses about why Santa Rosa 70.3 was moved to the summer and full in May and why St George became the NA championships, but it was all to do w/ getting people away from wildflower, and it worked
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
peace242000 wrote:
I did! a long w/ several friends, and even more did the Malibu sprint and santa cruz 70.3

The Malibu Sprint is HUGE and you can bet your life that next year Superfrog will be the same day. When IM acquired Superfrog they moved it to the same weekend as malibu, but it hasn;t been enough. Now we have 2 out of the 4 yearly Ironman 70.3's in CA on the SAME DAY in addition to the Malibu half.

People made excuses about why Santa Rosa 70.3 was moved to the summer and full in May and why St George became the NA championships, but it was all to do w/ getting people away from wildflower, and it worked

Ahhh right, sorry, I forgot that Malibu is many different distances. Ok, I can get that more people would do a sprint/oly then race a half however as someone else already pointed out, it seems to be the weekend after labor day. These week shifts I think are quite normal as they did with Victoria & Hawai'i to keep it the weekend after memorial day. I'm not one to make excuses for them, but this just seems like a normal shift. Interestingly, they allowed a normal shift with Coeur d'Alene when their PNW equivalent of Malibu, the Pacific Crest moved to a week before. And yes, Like you, now that I have the opportunity, I plan to race the short there and do CdA the following weekend.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: IM moves Santa Cruz date to kill another race [el gato] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
el gato wrote:
Labor Day this year was on Sep. 2. They held the race the following weekend (Sep. 8)

Labor Day next year is Sep. 7. The race is scheduled for the following weekend (Sep. 13)

I'm not quite sure I see how to ascribe any malice to this.

Exactly - if anything Malibu should move back a week. SC is always the weekend following Labor Day.
Quote Reply
Re: IM moves Santa Cruz date to same day as Malibu Tri [peace242000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m sure they did it on purpose. I usually race both, and I like Malibu more, so it is easy easy decision for me.
Quote Reply
Re: IM moves Santa Cruz date to kill another race [SFGetWeird] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Always? As in a few times since they bought Big Kahuna?
Quote Reply
Re: IM moves Santa Cruz date to same day as Malibu Tri [peace242000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why are you trying to find controversy where there isn't any?

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pretty lame. They’d all be better off by agreeing to have one in the spring, one in the fall. More People would be willing to spend the money to race both if they’re not consecutive weeks much less months. Gives people a chance to make corrections and changes and build up some capital much less train. I get that there is only so much money to be made but trying to compete like this isn’t going to help either race nor the triathlon community as a whole.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So let me get this straight, you're upset that Ironman scheduled a race for the same weekend it's historically been on and it happens to conflict with another race approximately 325 miles across the state. That makes sense.
Quote Reply