Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IM Training
Quote | Reply
For those currently training for an ironman (or who have done ironman races in the past), what other races are you doing (or have you done) to build up to the big day? Ideally what distance races would you mix in to an Ironman training plan and when would they fall on your perfect training calendar?

Example: I'm looking to peak for Ironman USA next year following a 20 week training plan. In that case the 12 week base period starts in March, and the 8 week speed work begins in June taking July to taper. Would an early May 1/2 Ironman (Wildflower) be too early or appropriate? Also how do you justify calling something you pay big bucks for a "training day?" Thanks in advance.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Training [kcwiii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My training program looks very similar to yours. Did 3 mos of base and 2 mos of intensity/taper for IM CDA on 6/29. I did Ralphs 1/2 IM right at the end of my base period.......I can't say I RACED it because I was so damn slow. However I'm glad I was there. It gave me a good insight on where I was. I also signed up for Wildflower in early May thinking I could actually race this and get a good benchmark on how my build was doing. Unfortunately I DNF'd with mechanical trouble.

3 weeks out from CDA I'm doing Alcatraz as a tuneup. Personally I couldn't imagine doing an IM without having tuneup/checkin races prior.

The funny part of the season is that I really don't think I'll be "racing" my first IM.....surviving is the goal. My 2nd half is all Oly distance racing after doing 6 weeks of recovery and speedwork. Therefore I won't actually "race" a triathlon until September even though I'll have trained my ass off since January!
Quote Reply
Re: IM Training [chrismaginn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chris - how long is your taper? Will alcatraz occur in your taper or just before? I'm planning on a 4 week taper and I'd think the weekend before an ironman taper should be huge - 100mi biking and 20mi running - then you start tapering off from those distances.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm 4 weeks out. My last big week just ended with a 120 mile ride and transition run on Sat and a 1:15 swim and 2hr run on Sunday. Next weekend is Alcatraz (tapering for that this week...sort of) and then 3 weeks of official "taper" prior to the race.

I don't expect to be real fresh next Sunday. Can't wait to look at SF from the boat off Alcatraz though (praying for clear sunny weather).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll rest a few weeks later this month (after the sprint season), then begin base training for IronMan Florida. My only planned race is the SC 1/2 IM September 14. This approach differs from past years, where I've done a short low-key event every 3-4 weeks as part of a recovery week (dropped back to 50% during week leading to race).

The short races are fun, and keep me "in the game", but I always have to realize that while I'm in good condition, my gearing is off for the short distances. This year, I will race the 1/2 IM rather hard, but view it more as an IM simulation - a mid-way check on equipment, fitness, nutrition, etc.
Quote Reply