Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
IM Saddlebag contents
Quote | Reply
We recently covered the "what to carry on the bike to eat during an IM", and had responses across the board from "nothing, just use the offered buffet" to "my own double secret coagulation mixed triple strength in 6 bottles all lining the top and down tube." I'm still undecided for my first, but know I hate the sweet taste of gatorade, so will likely end up the butt of Fleck's jokes as the guy whose (not so) light and aero bike is loaded down with bottles.

But I digress. Let's assume, for the sake of argument, that you are racing on clinchers (I know, if you ride clinchers you're not really racing, but this is my hypothetical, so please play by the rules). What would you carry in an under the seat bag? Tube or tubes? How many? CO2? How many? Tire lever? How many? Change to call home? Superman costume? Any tools? The head of Alfredo Garcia (for the Fletch fans)? Also assume a 2 lap course, so you can "replenish" anything you use, like co2 or a tube.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: IM Saddlebag contents [slowfathappy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
3x tubes (ultralight, fairly small when rolled properly - take the knurled nuts off too to prevent them from rubbing holes in themselves), 2x tire levers or a Crank Bros speedlever (but, if you use that gizmo, make sure it works with your tires, it's not as sturdy as tire irons), 4xCO2 and inflater (practice with it), 1 glueless patch kit, and a tire boot. Possibly 3/4/5 Allen wrenches and tiny screwdriver if anything on your bike has a tendency to come loose. Foot or so of duct or electrical tape around one of the tire irons. Put on new tires 2 weeks out to make sure you've mounted them exactly right and neither they or the new tubes you put in have any congenital defects. Going minimalist and hoping your setbacks are all in the first half so you can resupply your stuff at the special needs, or planning to grab more regardless at special needs is not logical or efficient - carry it all from the get-go, but you could throw another tube in your special needs bag in the unlikely event you really get 3 flats in the first half (say, 1 from irate locals tacking the course, and then a double pinch on a pothole when you are subsequently blinded by rage)
Quote Reply
Re: IM Saddlebag contents [skip] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Small under saddle bag

3 tubes

3 CO2 cartridges

3 tire levers

I have a second under saddle bag - with the exact same set up - in my special needs bag.

If I need it - I can grab it and throw it in a jersey pocket - or even take the two seconds to put it up under my saddle to replce the original.

If I get three flats or even two on the first half - then I have no issue slowing and taking the time to pick up the second bag. I have to grab my nutrition anyway!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I haven't done an Ironman, but it seems like these people have the right idea. It would be a tragedy for you to have have give up on the bike leg simply b/c you didn't have enough tubes or you didn't have an allen wrench on you. What a waste of training and a bit of bad luck that would be.

------------------------------------------------------------
"One thing I have found there are just two ways to go
It all comes down to livin' fast or dyin' slow"- Robert Earlk Keen Jr.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Saddlebag contents [notafish] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2 tubes, 2 CO2 cartridges, park tool patches, 2 tirelevers (plastic), 2 SRAM chain links, multitool (including 2 additional tire-levers)

In IM-Austria there is a pump and additional tubes at all aid stations and when I have more than 2 flats I change to finishing mode anyway so I can even walk to the next aid station.

I will have a bentobox with 4 powerbars cut into pieces and 3 gels in my jersey (don't use the gels - only as a backup).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Skip, I notice that you and "that guy" both have chosen 3 tubes. Can I ask how you arrived at that number? You mentioned taking a glueless patch kit, I take two tubes and such a kit and wondered quite how we decide at a figure. I like to use the security of panaracer flat aways in my tires and have yet to replace a tube since using them, at less than 80g per wheel it makes sense to me and saves room in my pack for allen keys. With this security I only carry the tubes incase of failure around the valve.

Interesting thing that has become apparent is that no-one (including me) has mentioned taking a spare clincher, we would be screwed if the casing got cut. You you think this comes under the heading of where to draw the line?

"How bad can it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: IM Saddlebag contents [jk_allen13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jules, something I used to do in MTB racing (when I could be arsed to carry spares) is to put a small piece of tyre carcass in the saddle bag. If the tyre does go (and I've never seen it) you use to cut piece to fill the gap and tape it in position.

I do like the suggestion about the 2nd saddle bag in the special needs bag - thats contigency !!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
See: http://www.bikesportmichigan.com/features/flatkit.shtml

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Saddlebag contents [UK Gear Muncher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I assume you tape it to the inside of the tyre and that it has to be cut way from the carcasse to avoid and high spot in the tyre causing pressure on the inner tube?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep. It's a last resort really. With a road tyre a strip of 'duck' tape would do just as well. I've seen guys before stuffing their tyres with grass after a blowout....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ah, the legendary grass stuffing. Ever see it work? If so for how long?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't rate my chances with the way in ride. Thats a hell of a lot of grass !!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I choose three tubes - only because I have an insurance policy in case I pinch one of the tubes in a hurry to repair a flat - and flat out the new tube.

Don't laugh - it has happened to more than one of you before - myself included.

That way - atleast if I damage one spare - I have two left "in the breach".

I use a very small bag under the seat and if I can fit three - then why not put in three?

For IM distance racing and long training sessions - better to have one too many spares - than one too few.

AJ
Last edited by: That Guy: Mar 11, 05 5:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At IM Florida this year, I saw quite a few people who used one of their 'behind the saddle' water bottles as an extra saddlebag. You could put an extra tube, c02, etc. in there. I had my bike loaded down with hydration - but there were so many aid stations, that next time I won't carry so much on the bike. I used my jersey pockets to carry extras - big mistake as I went over a bump and saw 2 of my co2 cartridges go flying out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Zinn says you can use a dollar bill ;-) S'posed to work quite well actually, but have never tried it myself.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[reply]Skip, I notice that you and "that guy" both have chosen 3 tubes. Can I ask how you arrived at that number? You mentioned taking a glueless patch kit, I take two tubes and such a kit and wondered quite how we decide at a figure. I like to use the security of panaracer flat aways in my tires and have yet to replace a tube since using them, at less than 80g per wheel it makes sense to me and saves room in my pack for allen keys. With this security I only carry the tubes incase of failure around the valve.

Interesting thing that has become apparent is that no-one (including me) has mentioned taking a spare clincher, we would be screwed if the casing got cut. You you think this comes under the heading of where to draw the line?[/reply]

Julian,

Similar logic to thatguy in his response above - if I ruin a tube on installation or inflation (which I've done when in a hurry in a race, even though I've changed a lot of tubes over the years and know what I am doing), or perhaps more likely fail to find the cause of the first flat and remove it (glass, wire etc), then I want to have enough spares to deal with that without patching...the first flat tends to beget a second flat sometimes. So it's basically a spare for each wheel plus one for insurance. Beyond that, I'm patching. The glueless patches aren't effective in all situations, but they do work in general.

Regarding your second point, I actually did carry a spare clincher, old enough to be supple enough to fold up pretty compactly, in my first couple of Ironman races - I certainly wasn't going to let a badly cut tire take me out of the race. Not sure why I got out of the habit, as it certainly wasn't slowing me down any to have it strapped back there, but I guess vanity got the better of me at some point. It's certainly not a bad idea, if you have the room to store it where it's not in your way, smaller than a tubular.

Regarding boots, the best one is a piece of used tire with the bead cut off, but powerbar wrappers or dollar bills will work - anything that doesn't stretch. Tyvek is a great material too, you can always use your race number (slight risk of penalty - if the race also has frame numbers, helmet numbers, and body marking, you'd probably be OK but maybe the thing to do is put an old race number in your kit, if you don't quite have room for a real tire-section boot or don't have any tires you want to cut up). If the tire is cut to where a tube will push through and pop, you wrap the tube in the boot material before you inflate, and ideally it keeps the tube from pushing through.

The mention of chain links does remind me that I usually do carry a tiny chain tool as well, Ritchy CPR-9 or something, and a couple of links. Broken chain sucks, and if you can't repair it, you could be waiting a LONG time for tech support in some races. This, even more so than the CO2, is something that you should practice using before you need it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a minimalist and would plan for a 112 mile ride. Normally on a ride of that length, I would carry 1 superlight tube, 1 co2, 1 tire lever

Taking into account that it is absolutely critical that you finish, i would bring 2 superlight tubes, 2 co2, 1 tire lever, 1 Park glueless kit. Everyone here should be able to change a tire with 1 lever or none at all.

CO2 Innovations makes a CO2 delivery valve that is only about twice the size of a schraeder to presta adapter. There is no reason that you should break a chain on a road ride. a spoke wrench would not be out of the question and neither would a presta adapter, depending on the bike course. Thjis way you can hit up a gas station if you burn through your CO2.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Skip, I agree totally!
I made the mistake of packing only one tube for IMWI. After I flatted at mile 80 (replaced with new tube), flatted again at mile 85 (patched), flatted again at mile 85.25 (patched again), and flatted again at mile 85.5 (cried and was tossed a spare by another racer-big time assist violation), then flatted again at 106 and rode the rest of the bike on the rim. THe whole thing cost me about three hours and I was physically sick for the run finishing in 16:42.

The ultimate cause was a tire cut, I can't explain why I didn't find it .

Pack as many tubes as you can, think about a frame pump, and practice changing flats in the middle of a sunny hot day after riding for a couple of hours.

Steve C.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Saddlebag contents [scorner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Way to much crap to carry!!!!!!!!

If you have to go with clincher's think about the clincher tubular from Tufo. If not get brand new tires and tubes installed the week of the race. You are racing, whether you finish in 8:00 or 17:00 hours. If you are at the later, who cares if you have to wait a bit for the bike support, or roll to the next aid station where you can use a pump. Most Ironman's have these at the aid stations. 2 tubes, 2 CO 2's, 1-2 tire levers, depending on what you like to use, patch kit if you must. 2 CO 2's in special needs as well as another tube. Only take if needed.

If you are that worried about flating and having everything you need to change that many flats, you should not be worried about any thing other than the 10:20 bike cut off time any way. Don't worry about the tire casing splitting open. It does happen and if it does, just get a new wheel from the bike support folks and move on.

And lastly. Just get tubular's and not worry about any of this. You can find older tubular wheels on Ebay for a good price. And if you are thinking about carbon racing rims. Please don't waist your time with clincher's, they are racing rims, so step up and go with tubular's.

Ironmarc
Quote Reply
Re: IM Saddlebag contents [march66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry March

Not to turn this into a tubulars v clinchers debate - but I find it offensive that you would identify back of the packers and claim that it would not matter if they had to wait for support.

No-one wants to wait during a race - regardless of the time they are shooting for.

The sake of a few extra pounds (if that) to ensure you have everything you need - is just plain sensible to me.

And if someone chooses to race clinchers - then good for them! I do and I am proud of it.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Saddlebag contents [That Guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
but I find it offensive that you would identify back of the packers and claim that it would not matter if they had to wait for support.

No-one wants to wait during a race - regardless of the time they are shooting for.

The sake of a few extra pounds (if that) to ensure you have everything you need - is just plain sensible to me.

And if someone chooses to race clinchers - then good for them! I do and I am proud of it.

Yah, yah!

I am a BOTPer as well. What I meant to say is this.

If you have that many flats in a race, it is just about making the cut off any way. Your projected time it shot. It doesn't matter who you are, if you get 3-4 flats, your day is pretty done. Refocus your day and get to the end. If I get more than 1 flat before I get to my special needs bag I either ride the flat or wait for the wagon. I am slow and I am racing Ironman!!! I am not there to survive.

Of course I don't want to wait during a race.

And you are right. People can race clinchers if they choose. Just remember that clinchers have more problems and are susceptible to flats.

Why do you race clinchers? Cost? Can't/Don't want to change tubulars? Don't use race wheels? When I see people on the side of the road it is almost always on clinchers.

Good luck with your racing.

Ironmarc
Quote Reply
Re: IM Saddlebag contents [march66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I race clinchers - 2005 Zipp 404's - because I was almost killed as a result of a rolled tubular.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Saddlebag contents [That Guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well that would probably change a lot of minds about tubulars.

Ironmarc
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Skip, I like the idea of the Tyvek. I will use that for sure.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A playing card has worked really well for me. Make sure it's the ace of spades or the joker.

Your favorite mafia sucks.
Quote Reply

Prev Next