Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IM Nutrition - Anyone tried lollies?
Quote | Reply
Ok this might be a stupid question (Ahh stuff it there's no such thing as one!) but has anyone ever used jelly type lollies ie gummy bears, snakes etc as quick source of sugary carbs in IM? I recall a while back when I just ran that many marathoners used them. Not sure how suitable they are for this style of racing.

Just trying to think of various food sources apart from bars that are easy to pack and easy to handle. I've heard that Mars Bars are actually very high in calories but they could get messy on a long warm day. Therefore I figured a bag of gummy bears or similar would be easy to pack and separate.

Please resist the urge to call me a fat twit!

Mike
Quote Reply
Re: IM Nutrition - Anyone tried lollies? [mv2005] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Please resist the urge to call me a fat twit!"

I would never... At least not until I saw you.

I've never used those, but I've used honey in a gu flask in place of gu. It's about 2¢ on the dollar. Most of those products are just sugar, so if you can comfortably eat gummie bears on the bike or run (I don't think I could) they should be just as good...

I use hammer gel, because I don't think the straight sugars are the way to go, but maybe I'm just buying hype. That would make me a lean twit...

Cousin Elwood - Team Over-the-hill Racing
Brought to you by the good folks at Metamucil and Geritol...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've just got my cycling nutrition plan from my nutritionist: check out www.evildietwitch.co.nz, and every half an hour on the bike I get to eat either 1/2 a banana, 1/4 power bar or 5-6 jellybeans, plus some water, supplemented by a glucose drink at other intervals. Apparently gummy bears are fine too. I'll let you know how it goes.

Those who know do not speak, those who speak, do not know.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used them until Hawaii, when they all stuck together in one big lump. Never did use that top again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think they would give me a gut bomb on the run, but whatever works for you. I'm eating ginger cookies on my bike at IMFL. They seemed to work well in training.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am so glad someone finally wrote about this.

I have always thought gummies (lollies) would be great for consuming sugar on long workouts, until I tried it. I even thought of a way to transport them - individual drops of icing, the kind that hardens, all over your frame, each with a gummy stuck to it. Kinda like a gingerbread house.

I like using gummies when I am on the trainer, helps with boredom too. However, you have to be careful with the type you chew - it HAS to be the soft kind. I once made the mistake of buying a cheap brand of gummy jewelry. Since it was a cooler day I thought it wouldn't be a big deal so I had a gummy ring for each finger and a bracelet for each hand. The bracelet melted off by the 10th mile and they were so hard to chew I ended up throwing them all out. Amused my training buddies for a long ride though.

In all seriousness, gummies are simple sugars and have the same effect as honey, etc. Some people can stomach it, some can't. There are so many arguments about what type of sugar to consume and how to mix it. I think my biggest concern would be choking on one :)

-----------------------------------------------
maylene jackson, cscs
http://www.kidsintraining.org
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How about the candy necklaces? Talk about easy to transport. And it would be right there for you to eat. No package to throw away. Hell, you could even grab a bite during the swim. The only downside would be a candy colored neck to show for you efforts.

And for you smokers, candy cigarettes could give you a little boost. And probably freak out a few people. Talk about intimidation. Imagine getting passed on the bike by someone smoking a cigarette.

In contrast, the fun stick/dip, which would be a mutha on the bike, and not to much better on the run.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Nutrition - Anyone tried lollies? [maylene] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maylene,

I was chatting with some folks on my cycling team earlier last year and cut out the back of gummy bears from my daughters bag and asked them if they would eat these during training. They all thought it was good and was wondering what they would taste like. Then I told them what they were, and they did not like the idea.

If I eat them while riding I am fine, but if any are in my stomach during a run, I feel awful.

Reverend Dr. Jay
Lake of the Pines Triathlon fastest bike course record holder - Golden State Super Sprint fastest tri course record holder - Wildflower Long Course slowest run course record holder (4:46:32)

"If you have a body, you are an athlete." -Bill Bowerman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the responses people.

Mike
Quote Reply