Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IM Moo vs. IM FL
Quote | Reply
Next year is the year I will be doing my first Ironman race, and I am trying to decide if it will be Wisconsin or Florida. I am looking to the wisdom of Slowtwitchers for their opinions on each course, the cities, and general environment.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Moo vs. IM FL [astrotri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The bike course of IMMOO is really tough, Sergio is there preparing his race this year and you can read his thoughts about the bike course in a recent post by him.

Cause is your first, I would go to IM FL.. mostly flat course and really nothing to worry about.. ;)

http://twitter.com/krepster || http://www.pedro-gomes.com || follow all the action on facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go to CDA. It's a nice compromise between IMFL and IMWI.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Done them both...

1) Opinions on each course - Florida is flat vs. Wisconsin isn't. Florida can be in a wavy ocean (2002) or a jellyfish farm (2003) vs. algae infested lake. Florida has a out of water swim turnaround, Moo doesn't.

2) The cities - The redneck Riveria shuts down in the winter vs. the most active/beautiful town in the midwest

3) General environment - Retirees mowing their lawn yelling "get out of town" vs. 150,000 people lining the swim start at Moo. More 1st timers at Florida. At Moo, most people have their race face on. IMO, Moo is the ultimate "venue" for Ironman...the helix rocks. Indoor transition rocks. Banquet facilities rock.

But, overall....for the 1st Ironman, I think Florida is the best. Perhaps b/c that is where I lost my virginity.

I'd also consider other factors....like family/friends coming along. Florida might make them happier...b/c you're going to avoid them for 6 months.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would agree Florida might be friendlier to a first timer. I have done Moo once and IMFL twice (soon to be 3 times in Nov) and while bike is harder at Moo it was nice getting out of the saddle and changing positions vs Florida where you need to train to ride the aero bars all day and deal with the wind. I go to IMFL mainly cuz it is convenient for me to get there. I hope they keep it in Panama for a few more years.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My only IM was at Florida. It's okay, but not the greatest experience outside of the race. The city was dead, and the course is laid out such that there isn't much cheering going on out on the bike course. Sounds like Wisconsin is more of a party atmosphere. I think the swim is more variable in IMFL being an ocean swim. If you're not used to swimming in salt water (I actually threw up several times in the middle of my swim), might not be a bad idea to go with the fresh water swim.

I wouldn't call Florida pancake flat either, but then again, I come from the flattest area on earth - SE Michigan. Also, depending on where you live, training for such a late season race like Florida can be a bit of a pain. September is a much better time to race, as it gives you the whole summer for the bulk of your training. Getting into the middle of october, it gets very difficult to train on the bike due to early sunsets. I feel like I lost some form in the last few weeks leading up to Florida.

---------------------------------------------------------

"What the mind can conceive and believe, the mind and body can achieve; and those who stay will be champions."
Quote Reply
Re: IM Moo vs. IM FL [Klep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is not the first time I've read that Florida is a good race for first-timers. Given the amount of rookies, the problems with drafting on that course, and the competitiveness for Hawaii slots, why doesn't WTC allocate fewer AG slots at Florida and re-allocate to Wisconsin or LP? Here's why they should:

1. The lack of slots would not (IMO) effect the popularity of the event - there are plenty of rookies who are there to complete the distance rather than qualify and the IMNA races are all selling out anyway;

2. The flat course has resulted in notorious draft packs, penalties/whining about penalties, etc. With slots on the line, the opportunity for cheating is too great;

3. IMF could still have pro slots. It has become a great race for the pros who DNFd or DNSd at Hawaii and it's just a matter of time before someone lays down a crazy time on that fast course.

4. The bike courses at IMW and IMLP are more fair. Put the slots there and let the fast AGers battle it out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ask me in two weeks! I am off to MOO for the first time. I have done IMF (IMC and IMNZ). There are a couple of things going for IMF: a) its relative cheap in terms of hotel and food etc. b) if you drive from Orlando you can make it a family vacation (if you have kids) kind of payback for being a grouchy bastard after those long runs! :) c) its flat bike (its the easiest 180km bike ride I have ever experienced, loved it) However, its the least welcoming of all the host cities I have visited (Penticton, Taupo, Roth, I know I am very spoilt!) Town was dead until Wed of the race. Which one is nearer? Always nice to be have the opportunity to train on the course.

Quote | Reply
I would do Florida for your first race, Madison for your second, Lake Plaice for your third, CDA for your 4th, Canada for 5th - All great races and great sites. I'm sure Tempe will also be a great race! Be sure to let me know what you decide and if I'm announcing, I'll be sure to give you a plug. Z
Quote Reply
Re: IM Moo vs. IM FL [tomziebart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom - Sheesh...you gave away my process! But, I added a 2nd IMF before IMLP.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Moo vs. IM FL [tomziebart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The input from everyone has been great! I have lots of friends and family in Georgia, so having them at IMFL would be fantastic. I think IMFL will be the way to go. Plus, as much as I'd love to do IMMOO first because the venue is so great and it is in my backyard (I'm a Michiganer), I am only 24 and have plenty of time to complete all these races at all these wonderful sites. Someday I'd like to be jet setting the world like Tom D and racing in exotic locales like Malaysia. But first things first, finish this seasons race schedule, have a good/productive offseason, and then train smart/hard for IMFL.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Training in Michigan next summer will be great for Ironman Florida. Be sure to include the Steelhead 1/2 Ironman in your training plans. Z
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Now that's you've decided to take the plunge....training is the easy part. You first need to get IN the race....

From my understanding, they haven't made a decision regarding venue for 2005. Supposively coming early in Sept....?????

Next, I'd imagine it will fill up in record time. Any word on that CRAZY Active advanced registration crap?

However...I'm going down there this year to sherpa for a friend, so I'll sign up on site. Since he ditched last year, I'm hoping the jellyfish come back so he'll know what it feels like to jump into a school full of stingers and swim around them for practice. (Race day was fine....perhaps the most perfect day for racing ever)
Quote Reply