Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IM Moo Wheel Choice
Quote | Reply
Any wheel setup recommendations for Ironman Wisconsin from someone who's familiar with the course and/or did the inaugural race.

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: IM Moo Wheel Choice [mts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This course has lots of hills. Many of the downhills have a corner at the bottom, with another uphill around said corner. And if I remeber correctly, even corners on some uphills. Fun! (ha) I saw some very strong riders with a disk...but most went with something light. I used Zipp 404's with no problem. Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Zipp 909s.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: IM Moo Wheel Choice [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Zipp 909's are (is) a great set-up, and many experienced riders are capable of riding the IM-Moo course with that top-drawer wheelset....especially if you are looking to hit a goal time. They are fast.

Depending on your experience level, riding strength and race goals however, you may want to go without a disc. I have ridden the course alot. It is very technical, with sharp turns, steep short climbs and a few very fast descents....some into some blind corners. After a lot of experimentation (I own a variety of HED CX/JET/DEEP wheels), I have decided to use a pair of Ritchey WCS Z Deeps 16 spoke front/20 rear. Light and aero enough for my particular race needs and I think that they will do the trick in whatever weather conditions may be present that day.

Good luck with your training and we'll see you in Madison in September.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I raced at IMMoo last year. What can I say? Pace yourself...I came through mile 80 at 3:50 and EXPLODED for a 5:42 bike split (don't even ask about the run).

As for equipment...I made the mistake of selling my Zipp 404s last spring. I used Ksyrium SSC SLs at IMMoo. They are adequate, but I think 404s are the best possible set-up.

Here's why:

Mile 1-16 fairly flat with a prevailing tailwind (aerodynamics are important)

2 Middle Loops have many corners and short/steeper hills...I think a wheel that you can easily accelerate is critical here.

Mile 94-112--Return on flat into stronger prevailing headwinds...Aerodynamics returns as a key feature.

I have 909s this year, but I'm not sure that even a very light disc like a Zipp will be optimal for all but the strongest riders. Here would be my thoughts...If you are strong enough to go sub-5:20 on most courses, pull out the 909s. If not, use 404s.

http://wattieink.com/elite-team/
Raising funds to help wounded veterans and racing RAAM 2013 with http://team4mil.org/
"If you are gonna charge... CHARGE HARD!"
Quote Reply
Re: IM Moo Wheel Choice [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What about the "ppor man's" 909: a Renn disk rear and an Alps or something else up front?
Quote Reply