Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IM Louisville Rant PLEASE JOIN ME [little red] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I refer you to other posters on this subject

Why didn't she push him in the wheelchair the 2 blocks to the convention center to where his dry clothing was and where medical and massage was and where he could get some help?

She did. Sorry, I didn't know you needed every detail.

Quote Reply
Re: IM Louisville Rant PLEASE JOIN ME [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree...unless she had some underlying medical condition, in which case she maybe should have given more thought before attempting this, if her body 'shut down' whatever that means, she did not train right/enough.
600$ does not pay for someone to follow you around babysitting you all day.20 minutes seems like a reasonable interval to wait for help.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Louisville Rant PLEASE JOIN ME [J_R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
Every time I think about doing an M-Dot IM as opposed to an "Iron distance" race I read one of these threads and wonder why people pay ridiculous amounts of money for them. No thanks. I'll stick to marathons, local races or stand alone bike races, the most expensive of which I've ever entered has been $90.

Why is it $600 per person when my local triathlon agency can run four races of various distances on the same weekend (with over 2000 total participants) for $75 per person? I'd love to see a breakdown of where all the money goes. Does anyone have such a thing?

OK let me give ST this one more time in case you missed it:

WTC did not charge $600 this year: so far all are $550 going to to $575 (IMTX sponsored by Memorial Hermann and not Ford is $600 NEXT year, others %575).

There are non-WTC 140.6 races for $75? Really? (before someone said $150, which I still doubt)

The Redman in OK is $325 this year and this years Vineman $325-425 depending when you register.

Now lets compare the atmosphere:

http://www.youtube.com/...&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dBRXA4ihJo

(had to fix links)

And for the record...med tents are still volunteers. Serious medical issues require an ambulance.

x10,000 Those links you posted say it all. Thank you.
Last edited by: highflyer: Aug 31, 10 8:48
Quote Reply
Re: IM Louisville Rant PLEASE JOIN ME [scottusmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Ok here is an update on my end.
1st she has done 6 Ironman's and was properly trained she completed this race last year in 11:06 and it was ran much better then than now
2nd I was contacted by the race director yesterday afternoon after my post and this is what he told me were sorry we had 15 vans to pick up people and there bikes ( 7 P's again) once it got hot it was crazy and we had to find several more vans and leave bikes on the side of the road, then we rented a U Haul to drive the course to get the bikes. I hope she is ok
well I guess Chicago Marathon didn't teach anyone a thing about heat related injuries, and I guess they missed the section in USA Today which stated Louisville was the HOTTEST city in the US this year
7 P's

I don't know why, but I can almost hardly wait until next year after IMTX to see the posts on here about the heat.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Louisville Rant PLEASE JOIN ME [electusunus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I can't add much but the one thing I was surprised about and I'm sure this was a very acute problem, but I was in no-mans land on the bike with nobody behind me for about 5 mins and maybe #2/#3 women pros a couple minutes ahead. On the solo ride back to Louisville all I could think was these lazy police. Every single one who was supposed to be controlling the intersection, but every single one was sitting in the car with the AC on. Of the 15-20 I passed on the way back in, only one of the officers showed any urgency in trying to get out of the car to stop an oncoming car. The volunteers were amazing, every single one I met. As for the IM organization, the event does have a cheesy-type feel. They are starting to coming off as very non-genuine IMO. I know there have been some shake-ups in the organization - I'm not sure if it is general moral with that or just a bit of jadedness over the years. Getting back on tangent though, I would be curious to find out if the original poster's GF was drinking fluids.

I can't speak for all the intersections but I along with several others spectated the bike course at the (393/146) intersection from 9:30 till 2:20. It was the intersection right before the special needs bag area and I can tell you there were 3 cops there that did an amazing job (especially for trying to control a few crazy drivers). They were out in the intersection the whole time. I only saw one major incident and it wasn't the cops fault. They yelled at a van to stop and not turn in front of a cyclist and the idiot turned anyway and yelled NO SPEAK ENGLISH, cop yelled you can't understand hand signs. Besides that they did a dang fine job, they even stopped and scolded a few drivers for attempting to make risky discisions.

"Sometimes you got to learn to hurt"
Quote Reply
Re: IM Louisville Rant PLEASE JOIN ME [M~] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
Ok here is an update on my end.
1st she has done 6 Ironman's and was properly trained she completed this race last year in 11:06 and it was ran much better then than now
2nd I was contacted by the race director yesterday afternoon after my post and this is what he told me were sorry we had 15 vans to pick up people and there bikes ( 7 P's again) once it got hot it was crazy and we had to find several more vans and leave bikes on the side of the road, then we rented a U Haul to drive the course to get the bikes. I hope she is ok
well I guess Chicago Marathon didn't teach anyone a thing about heat related injuries, and I guess they missed the section in USA Today which stated Louisville was the HOTTEST city in the US this year
7 P's

I don't know why, but I can almost hardly wait until next year after IMTX to see the posts on here about the heat.

Ha! EXACTLY what I have been sitting here thinking about.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Louisville Rant PLEASE JOIN ME [kabacrew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The way I see it, if you choose to do IM Louisville, you get what you deserve. It's Louisville in August. 90s + 90s is normal temps and humidity. The 2009 experience was an anomaly with near record low temps. This summer in the midatlantic we have set or approached record high temps at least one out of every ten days. One of those "unfortunate truths" the likes of Inhofe snoffed at during big winter snowstorms. A race day in Louisville is gonna come that is going to make Sunday's 95 seem pleasant.

The record high for 8/25 in Louisville is 105. You think it was bad this year, you just wait.

WTC deserves to have a nightmare of a race on their hands for setting up an IM in Louisville in August. Participants deserve to suffer in oppressive heat and humidity.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Louisville Rant PLEASE JOIN ME [kny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
The way I see it, if you choose to do IM Louisville, you get what you deserve. It's Louisville in August. 90s + 90s is normal temps and humidity. The 2009 experience was an anomaly with near record low temps. This summer in the midatlantic we have set or approached record high temps at least one out of every ten days. One of those "unfortunate truths" the likes of Inhofe snoffed at during big winter snowstorms. A race day in Louisville is gonna come that is going to make Sunday's 95 seem pleasant.

The record high for 8/25 in Louisville is 105. You think it was bad this year, you just wait.

WTC deserves to have a nightmare of a race on their hands for setting up an IM in Louisville in August. Participants deserve to suffer in oppressive heat and humidity.

I will probably do IM Lou next year and did it in 2007, I agree that if you sign up for this race, you know what your getting. You know that it will most likely be 90-100 degrees, humid, and a water temp in the mid 80s. I know when I did it last time I purposely trained at the hottest time of the day just to get ready for the event. Granted, Louisville is usually a little cooler than the deep south where I live, but 90 degrees is hot no matter where you are from. I know that if I lived where I couldn't train in similar conditions, I probably wouldn't sign up for the event. I think it takes a lot of conditioning and learning your body's limits for a hot race.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Louisville Rant PLEASE JOIN ME [kny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not a direct response to KNY, just replying to the last post.

I find it funny that people on here will say "why do you need all of that stuff on your bike? It is a supported course with aid stations every 10ish miles."
Then we try to minimize the liquid on our bike becuase we figure "there is no way a race like an Ironman could possibly run out of water."
And then it happens. And then people say "well, you should have been better prepared. You knew it was going to be hot...blah...blah...blah"

I think the lesson learned is to load up your bike at least with multiple cages. Aerodrink on the front. Cage on downtube and seattube. 2 cages behind the seat. Start the race with 1 full of liquid and 1 full of your nutrition. Leave the others empyt. Then load up if things get crazy.
Last edited by: timboricki: Aug 31, 10 21:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Everyone carries a tool bag/spare tire during the race because they know that if something goes wrong (i.e., flat) that it can take more than 20 minutes before support arrives. Why is it surprising that it takes 20 minutes for medical support to arrive?

Quote | Reply
man, why do you guys do these events?

With all due respect to the OP. I am sure that his concern was genuine. However, I am always taken back a bit buy the shock that people show in these situations:

- It's an Ironman. It's a very hard, and very long endurance race.

- At IM KY, it's also typically very hot and very humid

- there are 2,500 odd people on the course, they can't get to everyone instantly!

- We know that there are people who are terribly ill-prepared for these things

- There was another IM taking place on the same day that is known to have the best on-course support and logistics in the business, and it was nice and cool on race day! ;-)

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I too have been less than impressed with WTC's attention to safety. I have completed multiple IMs and volunteered for the first time at IMOO last year. At the volunteer pre-race meeting, I expected to hear a lot of info about what to do if someone has a medical emergency and needs assistance. Nothing regarding this was mentioned in the meeting, so I asked the question, "What is the protocol if we see someone who needs assistance?" The answer: "Call 911." I guess it is a logical answer but I am no longer under the illusion that my $600 buys me anything more than a t-shirt and a buffet along the course.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Louisville Rant PLEASE JOIN ME [10k Lakes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I too have been less than impressed with WTC's attention to safety. I have completed multiple IMs and volunteered for the first time at IMOO last year. At the volunteer pre-race meeting, I expected to hear a lot of info about what to do if someone has a medical emergency and needs assistance. Nothing regarding this was mentioned in the meeting, so I asked the question, "What is the protocol if we see someone who needs assistance?" The answer: "Call 911." I guess it is a logical answer but I am no longer under the illusion that my $600 buys me anything more than a t-shirt and a buffet along the course.

So then the question is, will you continue to race the IM branded races?
Quote Reply
Re: IM Louisville Rant PLEASE JOIN ME [J_R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pretty much says it all about the differences...
Quote Reply
Re: IM Louisville Rant PLEASE JOIN ME [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

not really. B2B had some great turnout at the finish.
Of course, it all depends on why you are racing too. If you want/need the crowds to be cheering and clapping and seeing you, then yes, the IM boys are definitely for you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
So then the question is, will you continue to race the IM branded races?

This is a question that gets asked SO MUCH on slowtwitch. People seem to ask it assuming that the answer is always yes, despite the gripes. In reality the answer is very often NO.

The fact of the matter is that many, many people are choosing NOT to repeat their IM 'brand' experience due to these issues that keep cropping up. The organizers would do well to take notice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Having finished B2B I will say that it's incredibly sparse.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Louisville Rant PLEASE JOIN ME [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

- There was another IM taking place on the same day that is known to have the best on-course support and logistics in the business

There are better... you need to race outside North America though...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Of course, it all depends on why you are racing too. If you want/need the crowds to be cheering and clapping and seeing you, then yes, the IM boys are definitely for you.

Somebody tell that to the riders parting the sea of spectators on the Roth bike course. Or climbing the Westernport Wall.

But, yes, an MDot differentiator is that they get 2500+ athletes and the family/friend spectators that they bring. It's not like your $600 is going to subsidize the cost of bussing in tens of thousands of spectators. It's a great feedback loop they've got going; the more people they have the bigger the crowds they get, the better the experience (by this metric), the more people they have next year, the more they can charge, and around and around we go.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

not really. B2B had some great turnout at the finish.

My thoughts exactly. I care about what happens on the course during the race. I could give a shit whether anyone is watching the finish.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Louisville Rant PLEASE JOIN ME [ponyboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Now lets compare the atmosphere:

Ha... here's my video from Sunday night's final finishers:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=se-CP3IzTDw
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I guess it is a logical answer but I am no longer under the illusion that my $600 buys me anything more than a t-shirt and a buffet along the course.

I do IMWISC every year. The local amulance company is all over the course. The medical director speaks at the pre-race meeting every year. At the finish there are multiple volunteers helping you that have clearly been instructed on when to refer someone to medical. There are medical people at many aid stations. There is a medical tent right at the finish line. They can't account for everything, but to suggest that it's just a t-shirt and a buffet is a slap in the face to a whole bunch of people working really hard to make the race as safe as possible.

But hey, I know it's the trendy thing on ST to rip all things WTC, so feel free to pile on.

Thom
Last edited by: Thom: Aug 31, 10 8:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What else would you expect random volunteers to be instructed to do? The 911 operators would be well aware of the location of any ambulances on or near the course and be the ones best equipped to communicate with them. With every race I've ever volunteered at, and it has been a lot, calling 911 is S.O.P.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Louisville Rant PLEASE JOIN ME [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Having finished B2B I will say that it's incredibly sparse.

having raced twice, I would disagree. Although, once the clock hits around 8, things do tend to thin out quite a bit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kinda like would you rather eat lunch at McDonald's or Chili's or try the new ethnic restaurant around the corner? Both are valid if they meet your needs and expectations.

My biggest issue with the "modern" triathlete is the seeming unwillingness to even consider, and thus experience, anything but Mickey D's. Thanks to WTC's successful branding and marketing of their product, newcomers to the sport may never see what else is out there.

I find that people with more than a few years in the sport are generally saddened by the M-Dot obessession of newer triathletes.

G

It's a little like wrestling a gorilla.........you don't stop when you're tired.........you stop when the gorilla is tired.
Quote Reply

Prev Next