Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
IM Lake Tahoe Registration Deadline?
Quote | Reply
I am very interested in racing IM Lake Tahoe next year. I have never raced an IM event, mostly olympic distance races but am very interested and excited to bump up. Signing up for the race would be my dangling carrot to make sure I trained hard. I have talked about entering a full IM for 3-4 years, but always let other items in my life take priority. I am a pretty cheap guy, so shelling out $700 would be enough to guarantee I train hard and actually do it.

Since I have never entered an IM event, I am not sure how far out I should register.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Lake Tahoe Registration Deadline? [UMDRunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any ironman you can sign up for 10+ months out for is a good thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i think you have plenty of time on this one.
/

Gary Mc
Did I mention I did Kona
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last year it sold out in one day. Registration for 2014 has been open since Oct 23. Not sure if it will sell out this year, tough race.

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...string=epic;#4814946

Train safe & smart
Bob

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The training program I followed ('Be Iron Fit' by Don Fink) has a 30 week schedule. I'd make sure you had at least that much time, 35 weeks would be better.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you have made up your mind to sign up. Why not just sign up, and not worry about when / if it will sell out. You are going to spend the money, just get it done. Unless of course you are secretly hoping it will sell out, and then you can say I wanted to but......

2017 Cervelo P2
2017 Cervelo S2
itraininla.com
#itraininla
Quote Reply
Re: IM Lake Tahoe Registration Deadline? [gymrat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The only thing holding me back is a buddy who wants me to race Madison with him. I am from Minnesota so convenience pulls me to Madison, but destination strongly pulls me to Lake Tahoe. I understand that weather was pretty rough this year for Tahoe, but todays temp had a high of 70 and is currently 52 so I imagine the cold weather was a fluke. Can anyone from Cali give insight to weather in September for Lake Tahoe? I can read all the reports in the world, but nothing beats hearing from the locals. A temperature number doesn't tell the whole story.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You realize Wisconsin is already sold out except for $1,350 community fund slots, right? Budget-wise, that may still be cheaper overall given your location and the fact Madison actually has non-tourist lodging, but don't drag your feet looking for approval here or you'll watch both races fill and be left with nothing. Sucks, but I've watched it happen too many times, unfortunately.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't base my choice on the weather. The day before the race it was 45 deg F , heavy rain, snow at the summit and winds in the 20s, while the day before was sunny with winds in the 20s, and the day before was perfect by any definition. Normally the climate is 35-40 deg F in the morning, and 75 deg F in the afternoon, but climate is what you expect, weather is what you get.

Train for the course (a lot of bike climbing, swim longer than 2.4 miles to compensate for altitude, build cardio for an extra 5%, bring layers just in case) and don't worry about the rest. It was awesome. Hard, but awesome.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The weather is going to be chilly in the morning regardless. It is in the fall so the weather could start to change like it did this year. Although snow should not be expected like what happened this year the night before. It is a great venue, and it can be a great experience. But you need to be prepared for cold mornings and evenings. In some cases very cold.

2017 Cervelo P2
2017 Cervelo S2
itraininla.com
#itraininla
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with the other posts, great race. Weather was nice all week except Sat. Hussman's comment on training is spot on too.

If you want to do the race pull the trigger.

Train safe & smart
Bob

Last edited by: Longboarder: Oct 21, 13 8:02
Quote Reply
Re: IM Lake Tahoe Registration Deadline? [Longboarder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bob, you or any of the other ST regulars from last year heading back again next year?

I'd been holding off to reflect on my goals for next year, about whether I wanted to do an IM at all mostly. If I do sign up for another, it will be Tahoe, I just really enjoyed that venue despite the specific gripes about how they ran the race (transition setups, etc).

If/when they put out the notice that registration is approaching capacity I think I'll lose my resolve and pull the trigger.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Lake Tahoe Registration Deadline? [tgarson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm doing it again , I'm in loved the toughness of the course, and being a local living in the mountains we can get extreme weather any time of the year even June /July. Cooler mornings with clear dry warm days in the 60/70s are the norm for Tahoe in September. Last year a freaky storm rolled in, just adding to the challenge. It's all good!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have done a different IM each of my 8, so no plans to return to Tahoe next year for me. I was trying to convince the wife to let me do Canada, but she's not giving in yet. I might have a shot at doing Arizona (did it last year) since it's the cheapest option, but even that's a longshot. Still working on it (her).

------------------
My business-eBodyboarding.com
Quote Reply
Re: IM Lake Tahoe Registration Deadline? [TriBodyboarder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have tried to register about 10 times this morning. The IM page crashed various times throughout the process. I am using google chrome on a fairly fast connection. Should I try a different browser later, or just let the heavy traffic on the website settle down?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I didn't go all the way through to submit but just checked out the reg page and it seemed fine for me (also in Chrome). I can't think of any reason why Active would be under particularly heavy load right now, but I wouldn't stress too much. I don't think the race is on the verge of selling out so maybe just give it a few and try again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Weather was a total fluke... we can get shitty weather any time of the year here, but fall is normally the best time. Sunny, cool mornings and 70 and sunny during the day normally. This fall so far we've had three crappy days, two of which were the IM weekend...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Finished at 13:01:51 at Tahoe. Yes, it was challenging and to be honest just starting to have some of my pre tahoe strength in my legs. Training for the Dopey challenge now. I will absolutely do it again in 2015. I'm in for IMCHOO next year. Now that I have a better understanding of the course, and altitude. The cold/cool temperatures at least for me, were not really an issue. I will hit the damn course in the nutz next time and attempt to kick it's ass.

HoneyMaxx Ambassador
HoneyMaxx.com
Quote Reply
Re: IM Lake Tahoe Registration Deadline? [Ken Smith] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Way to go, Tyler! You are participating in 2014 IRONMAN Lake Tahoe.

It's official, I'm in!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You sure you're trying to register for IMWI and not Obamacare? Just curious....
Quote Reply
Re: IM Lake Tahoe Registration Deadline? [Ken Smith] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ken Smith wrote:
Finished at 13:01:51 at Tahoe. Yes, it was challenging and to be honest just starting to have some of my pre tahoe strength in my legs. Training for the Dopey challenge now. I will absolutely do it again in 2015. I'm in for IMCHOO next year. Now that I have a better understanding of the course, and altitude. The cold/cool temperatures at least for me, were not really an issue. I will hit the damn course in the nutz next time and attempt to kick it's ass.

I pretty much feel the same way. Tahoe was tough as hell and I have some unfinished business with this course. I have promised my wife/family that there would be no IM in 2014 so 2015 would be my earliest chance to have another shot at it. Tahoe is definitely a great race and well worth doing.

The experience in 2013 can only help the next time I tackle this course :-)

----------------------------
Jason
None of the secrets of success will work unless you do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good decision. As a fellow MN native who took on Tahoe, I say good luck with the training. My only advice is to get out and train on every hill you can find for the bike; oh and do the uphill portions while breathing through a straw, you know the small ones the bartenders give you to stir your drink. That is the best way to simulate the lack of oxygen at altitude!

One truly great option (somewhat local depending on where in MN you live) is to try out the Point to LaPointe swim in August. It is a 2.1 mile swim in Lake Superior from Bayfield WI to LaPointe on Madeline Island. Open water, and very chilly. Other than not being at altitude, this swim was a perfect prep for Tahoe. Or join us in Duluth for Superior Man half iron distance in late August. The swim in the harbor is chilly, which at that time of year is hard to find at most midwest races. Timing is right as a last prep race prior to Tahoe in late September.

Ryan
Quote Reply
Re: IM Lake Tahoe Registration Deadline? [ryans] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do not understand why so many say the water was chilly. All the early season races I do in Northern Calif have swims in the low 50's. 62 water, like Tahoe was in a wetsuit was just fine.
The most important thing I walked away from the race with is folks need to be REAL proactive in managing ones core temperature. Too many let it drop even before the swim stated, let alone
after they got out. Once it drops, most are toast for the race. Next time I would stay in the heating time until the swim starts. Some I talked with did that which was super smart.
Then get those hand and feet heating stuff and put every where. I still say the race was not really that hard. For folks who say it was, would love to see their training and how many years they
have been racing. This is not a race for a person to say it was their first Triathlon to do.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: IM Lake Tahoe Registration Deadline? [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I get it, from this post and the multiple others that you are a super human triathlete and an Ironman (at altitude with a lot of climbing) is no big deal.

My point to UMDRunner was that, as an athlete from Minnesota, there are challenges to getting yourself prepared as well as possible for IM Tahoe. Bottom line, around Minnesota finding chilly water to swim open water in after July 1st is tough. Lake Superior will provide a Lake Tahoe esque experience: chilly, very clear, and the potential for waves. Add the fact that the event I was telling him about is a 2.1 mile open water swim and feel free to point out how many 2.1 mile open water swims are available for you to compete in... Nothing like racing to prep for racing and it sure beats long pool workouts...

Also, to be ready for the kind of hills that Tahoe will throw at him, well we do not have many sustained climbs around here. I can find tons of hills that are 600-700 feet of gain, but it is not the same as going up Brockway or the Martis camp section for training. I only suggest he put some hills in his training regimen. I did my best and know it helped me be smart about toning it back on lap one. Bottom line, the second time up Brockway was tough: 90 miles into an Ironman bike and just after climbing up Martis... Lots of people talk about having "low" spots during a race and this seems like a perfect spot for that to hit you, on a long uphill to boot...

I loved Tahoe. Second fastest time for an IM I have ever laid down and I did not come in with the best training under my belt. But I had a blast and might be back sometime. Loved the course and the area. But it was a tough race. The swim was very nice, but the fog made sighting a little tough for me. I am sure I did a little extra distance. The temp did not bother me, but I know it is cooler than most tri swims you will encounter. The bike was tough. Lots of climbing, and some relatively steep climbing for the average triathlon. Throw in the altitude, and it is simply something to consider. The run was great. Beautiful and I sort of liked the long/short two lap layout.

I agree with you on the staying warm prior to the swim start. Best thing I saw I wish I had done was to bring a pair of throwaway shoes to wear out on the beach once you head out. Slip them off at the last second and your feet would be much warmer than they would normally have been walking out in the cold sand.

Ryan
Quote Reply
Re: IM Lake Tahoe Registration Deadline? [ryans] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ryans wrote:
Good decision. As a fellow MN native who took on Tahoe, I say good luck with the training. My only advice is to get out and train on every hill you can find for the bike; oh and do the uphill portions while breathing through a straw, you know the small ones the bartenders give you to stir your drink. That is the best way to simulate the lack of oxygen at altitude!

One truly great option (somewhat local depending on where in MN you live) is to try out the Point to LaPointe swim in August. It is a 2.1 mile swim in Lake Superior from Bayfield WI to LaPointe on Madeline Island. Open water, and very chilly. Other than not being at altitude, this swim was a perfect prep for Tahoe. Or join us in Duluth for Superior Man half iron distance in late August. The swim in the harbor is chilly, which at that time of year is hard to find at most midwest races. Timing is right as a last prep race prior to Tahoe in late September.

My biggest recommendation is bring a disposable pair of shoes to wear the morning of the race. The sand was cold on my bare feet. I thought it was a great race too and I'm thinking seriously about doing it again next year.
Quote Reply

Prev Next