Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
IM Historians--A bedtime story, Please
Quote | Reply
This pic is from another thread. Please tell me about this race--how close were they throughout the race? How close at the finish? Wait, first let me put my jammies on and brush my teeth. OK, Go...

Quote Reply
Re: IM Historians--A bedtime story, Please [Monk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ga nite Monk! Its been a long day for KjGrog. No baby Gregory Monk Grogan yet either.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ooooooooo.......I got chills looking at that and I look the poster every day at work.

I'll bet both were thinking all day "When am I going to drop him?"

Swim: Allen 51:17, Scott 51:16

Bike: Allen 4:37:52, Scott 4:37:53

Run: Allen 2:40:04, Scott 2:41:03 (!!)

Total: Allen 8:09:15, Scott 8:10:13

They were never more than a couple of (legal) bike lengths apart all day. It wasn't until a couple of miles further down the road from where this picture was taken did Mark make his infamous move on what he knew would be the last uphill portion before the drop down Palani Road. He then dropped Scott and at the same time the monkey on his back.

Kiss on the forehead, nighty nite Monk.

Quote | Reply
Mom, that picture has probably been on here 20 times in the last month, you put numbers on that tired old image. Now I had never heard of triathlon at that point, put now I understand why all the old timers quiver at that picture. Goodnite johnboy, I finally get it.

Jim

**Note above poster works for a retailer selling bikes and related gear*
Quote Reply
Re: IM Historians--A bedtime story, Please [Jim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They didn't talk to each other the entire 8+ hours. Anyone who was watching from their bike, press truck, motorcycle knew they were witnessing the most incredible battle in tri history and were waiting for one of them to make his move. My husband was in the race that year and got stuck behind the mass while coming back on the bike and had to weave his way through all of the vehicles surrounding Mark and Dave.

What are you doing up? It's the middle of the night for you!

Quote | Reply
Too much beer, celebrarting 40 yrs of pain, tomorrow.

Jim

**Note above poster works for a retailer selling bikes and related gear*
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't care what anyone says....Dave Scott's outfit is stylin'! Even though that picture is now 16 years old, his race clothes look great to me. Not dated at all.

If I ever get into DVD editing I am going to copy this from VHS to DVD with all the NBC filler stuff taken out. I particularly LOVE the interview part of the video when Dave is asked how he would feel about coming in second. He said something like "I would walk away from the race gravely disappointed." That, my friends, is a man of focus and belief that he is the best. To top it off, he is far from arrogant - a genuine nice guy who was ahead of his time. Let's face it, Mark may have won the race, but Dave Scott was his rabbit and pace setter for the day. And yes, I am also a Mark Allen fan.

Quote | Reply
Anyone know where I can get this picture in full resolution - even if I have to pay? How about a place I can buy the poster from?

Quote | Reply
All great stories...

But... I think I see a nipple!!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: IM Historians--A bedtime story, Please [Football Mom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Football Mom. But now I am so excited I can't sleep. Maybe if you lay down next to me for a while...

No, really. Thank you.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Historians--A bedtime story, Please [AJHull] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure, but if someone can mention the original source (as I've seen it in several mags w/o a credit) I could have someone track it down. If its an AP photo...it would make things very easy.

Anyone?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
what year is this IMH?

I shall never misuse Rex Kwon Do
I shall be a champion of freedom and justice
Quote Reply
Re: IM Historians--A bedtime story, Please [IronZ06] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: IM Historians--A bedtime story, Please [Goose] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]1989[/reply]
Cool....I have it on tape

I shall never misuse Rex Kwon Do
I shall be a champion of freedom and justice
Quote Reply
Re: IM Historians--A bedtime story, Please [IronZ06] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You have it on tape and the story was news?????
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One thing that I always think of when I see this picture is that Dave Scott is NOT wearing a number. I seem to recall that it had been torn off by accident somewhere along the way. Can't help but wonder if some of the over-zelous officials that are at some of the big events these days, would have let something like that go. People seem to get DQ'd for lesser things.

Fleck

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: IM Historians--A bedtime story, Please [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Because his number is still visible on his arms, he would be okay. Of course, this was all pre-chip timing so had he not been a recognizable person at the finish line, it could cause timing problems but the timing crew was prepared with back up tags, manual number sheets, video cameras, etc.

This situation arose at this last year's Ironman ). I had two seperate athletes come up to me in a panic leaving T2 having lost their number on the bike (the winds were brutal) and didn't want to get DQ'd. Because I knew they were okay in the timing-world because they still had their chips I told them to go ahead on the run, jotted down their race numbers, and notified the head marshall of the situation. He told me yes, they did need to be notified, but also because they still had their numbers visible on their body somewhere the marshalls could still identify them. How it would have been handled at any other race I can't say, I just knew that I work with the best of the best in Kona.

Last edited by: Football Mom: Feb 12, 05 17:23
Quote Reply
Re: IM Historians--A bedtime story, Please [AJHull] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The race was in October of 1989, and I was such a fan that when the race coverage aired on ABC I knew I had to find that InSport clothing line of Dave's somewhere before I ran Boston in April of 1990. Wasn't in stores in the midwest yet that winter but I found it, in of all places, a catalog called California Male. Wore it during the Boston Marathon that spring and while I was running through one of the towns on the course I heard a woman say "boy those outfits get pretty wild"...I guess the neon green Kona print shorts were a little loud for her!

That summer I met Dave on the rooftop of the Chicago Holiday Inn where he was giving a talk before the big Chicago race. He autographed the picture taken of me in his gear and then said "Wow Boston...that's a tough course...how did you do?" I laughed, figuring Dave knew something about tough courses!

I have watched my videotape of that race alot over the years...those 2 guys were beyond fast and fit.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Historians--A bedtime story, Please [Football Mom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The material for this year's Kona numbers were of pretty bad quality - it was a new material that just basically disintegrated once it got wet.

Plus it had that silly pomergranite (sp?) juice logo on it. Everybody at registration was looking at their numbers thinking, "What the hell is this little red figure fight thingy?".

Oh.... it's POM...
Quote Reply
Re: IM Historians--A bedtime story, Please [Mark M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
>>I have watched my videotape of that race alot over the years...those 2 guys were beyond fast and fit.<<

I love when the announcers just shut up and the camera is tight on both of them running and all you hear is their breathing and their footsteps.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: IM Historians--A bedtime story, Please [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bingo Cathy...that motorcyle noise in the background, Dave looking for "Exceed, I want Exceed" and that volunteer running full tilt to try and catch him and give him a cup.

Damn, I'm gonna have to watch that tape again!
Quote Reply
Re: IM Historians--A bedtime story, Please [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cathy...you hit the nail on the head there. That did make the coverage great. I really got a feel for the pain they were experiencing at the time. No music...no commentating...magic! Too much chatter nowadays.

Quote | Reply
Where do you get the VHS or DVD of this race (1989 IMH) from? Does IM Live sell it? Footballmom, can you help here?

I also notice a "wardrobe malfunction" with Dave's right nipple showing!
Quote Reply
Re: IM Historians--A bedtime story, Please [Hairy Legs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll dig around to see if we have it and try to get a copies made. If I can't find it, I know Peaman has a copy in a box somewhere in the archives in the garage.

Quote | Reply
Thanks FBM

Hey, my legs are hairy again - have not shaved since Oct 15!
Quote Reply

Prev Next