Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
IM Hilton Head 70.3 ?
Quote | Reply
Is Ironman bringing a 70.3 to Hilton Head Island, SC ?

Last edited by: RDL: Dec 7, 14 17:49
Quote Reply
Re: IM Hilton Head 70.3 ? [RDL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In depending on the date.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The post is still on the FB page, with comments.

Surprised there isn't more chatter about this -- HH would be an awesome place for a half iron event. Fast and flat, and lots of places to stay.

---------------------

"Whether you believe you can or you can't, you are right."
Quote Reply
Re: IM Hilton Head 70.3 ? [Ga Tri Coach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't see the post on the Hilton Head Triathlon Club page. I do see the post of the screenshot on the IM Augusta 70.3 page.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep, it's still there. I just checked.

---------------------

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you're right! I was looking at "Hilton Head Tri Club" not "Hilton Head Island Triathlon Club"

It'd have to be in the offseason, but needs to be far enough away from Augusta. November time frame?

The only issue would be transition.. It'll be a long run from the beach, especially if low tide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Would have to be a multi loop bike route I'd imagine. Could be a great venue though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chattanooga 70.3 was announced and the race date and entry was set up fairly quickly. It will be interesting to see when they would actually schedule the HH race.

You're absolutely right, no way could it be during high season. November seems late, but with Raleigh and Choo in the late spring/early summer, that makes more sense, otherwise HH would have to be in early April.

HH is awfully close to Augusta, only about 2 1/2 hrs away.

---------------------

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
November would be doable I think. The water will be a little cold but not bad. I did some swim training off the island in late Dec a few years ago and water temp was low 50s.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Would be better than Augusta for a pre-Florida race. I predict spring. Kind of like Galveston. Post spring break pre summer lull.
Last edited by: Endo Ag: Dec 14, 14 5:21
Quote Reply
Re: IM Hilton Head 70.3 ? [Endo Ag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hope its a spring event, but would not be surprised for a late October/early November race to compete directly with Beach to Battleship that has been pretty successful as of late. This would be consistent with WTC's past practice of scheduling their races on the same day or close to existing races to drive out competition.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ga Tri Coach wrote:
The post is still on the FB page, with comments.

Surprised there isn't more chatter about this -- HH would be an awesome place for a half iron event. Fast and flat, and lots of places to stay.

Just as a throwback FYI, Hilton Head used to host the old Bud Light series championship (Early/mid 80's). Amazing venue.

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Re: IM Hilton Head 70.3 ? [TRIspud] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TRIspud wrote:
I hope its a spring event, but would not be surprised for a late October/early November race to compete directly with Beach to Battleship that has been pretty successful as of late. This would be consistent with WTC's past practice of scheduling their races on the same day or close to existing races to drive out competition.

x2. Not that I agree with this practice, but would not be surprised.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Hilton Head 70.3 ? [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
TRIspud wrote:

x2. Not that I agree with this practice, but would not be surprised.

My guess would be Late October.

Southeast IM 70.3's Spring/Early Summer: Florida, Chattanooga, Raleigh
Also Eagleman (MD) and New Orleans, but I wouldn't consider either of those Southeast

Southeast IM 70.3's Fall: Augusta, Miami

In addition to competing with B2B (Although Wilmington and Hilton head are 265 miles apart) there are less SE 70.3's on the sked.

Proud Member of Chris McDonald's 2018 Big Sexy Race Team "That which doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger"
Blog-Twitter-Instagram-Race Reports - 2018 Races: IM Florida 70.3, IM Raleigh 70.3, IM 70.3 World Championships - South Africa, IM North Carolina 70.3
Quote Reply
Re: IM Hilton Head 70.3 ? [Runner Rick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well….we're waiting
Quote Reply
Re: IM Hilton Head 70.3 ? [Raw Oyster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
seems this type of event could overwhelm the island, logistically. unless the bike route leaves the island and returns
Quote Reply
Re: IM Hilton Head 70.3 ? [winchester] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
winchester wrote:
seems this type of event could overwhelm the island, logistically. unless the bike route leaves the island and returns

Awesome location….plenty of lodging in the off season….for the bike you could leave the island across the sea pines side, ride to Savannah, Ga turn around and come back and be right at 56 miles. Tons of running trails for a road/trail (paved) run. Plenty of awesome finish locations…and an Ocean swim. I would totally be down in 2016, as my calendar for 2015 is booked. Better yet….make everything two loops and make it a full!!
Quote Reply
Re: IM Hilton Head 70.3 ? [NeverEnough] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the run course on the ilsand trails could be epic
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's a nature reserve with miles of dirt roads right as you go over the bridge onto the island. I doubt they would include that part of the island in the route but it's a nice place to run.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Hilton Head 70.3 ? [NeverEnough] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the course went out the business route, across the bridge, then out to the end of the buckwalter parkway and back, with one side of the parkway closed to traffic. run course all on the island, with coligny beach as transition. that was the course ironman passed on when they chose raleigh instead anyway. it was going to be in may, which is a relatively slow time for the island, so would be no problem with logistics.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Hilton Head 70.3 ? [MTranquilli] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Others in the know are saying late October
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's a thought. IM Choo 70.3 announces same date as Rev 3 in May…HHI 70.3 announces same date as Rev 3 Anderson. Best way to rattle the Rev 3/Challenge model. My guess is mid October in direct competition with Rev/Challenge.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Hilton Head 70.3 ? [Raw Oyster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Raw Oyster wrote:
Here's a thought. IM Choo 70.3 announces same date as Rev 3 in May…HHI 70.3 announces same date as Rev 3 Anderson. Best way to rattle the Rev 3/Challenge model. My guess is mid October in direct competition with Rev/Challenge.

Anderson isn't on the Challenge schedule for 2015.

---------------------

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ga Tri Coach wrote:
Raw Oyster wrote:

Anderson isn't on the Challenge schedule for 2015.

Mid-October goes directly against B2B as well.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: IM Hilton Head 70.3 ? [GMAN19030] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Forgot about B2B, wow, the competition in southeast would be intense
Quote Reply

Prev Next