Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
IM Florida - offical announcement - Haines City
Quote | Reply
updated 10/16
Dear IRONMAN Florida Athletes:

Due to the devastation wreaked by Hurricane Michael on Panama City Beach and surrounding Bay County, IRONMAN and our local partners have concluded that it will not be feasible to host IRONMAN Florida in its usual location this year. All resources in Panama City Beach and Bay County are rightly focused on public safety and the significant recovery efforts required.

The 20th edition of IRONMAN Florida will, despite Hurricane Michael, proceed. We are pleased to inform you that the race will take place on Sunday, November 4 in Haines City, Florida, which is between Orlando and Tampa, and is the popular venue for IRONMAN 70.3 Florida.

A venue change so soon before a race is significant for all involved; however, given the circumstances, this is the best option for athletes to compete in an IRONMAN event in the same region and on the same weekend as originally scheduled. Please be mindful that our work is happening in real time so it will take a number of days for us to be able to answer many of your more detailed questions.

IRONMAN is grateful that Haines City and surrounding Polk County have agreed to host IRONMAN Florida this year to help support Panama City Beach, Bay County, and IRONMAN. We would like to thank Polk County Sports Marketing and Haines City who have hosted the IRONMAN 70.3 Florida event for the past seven years and have been supportive of our emergency plans for IRONMAN Florida.

“Our hearts go out to all who were impacted by Hurricane Michael,” said Morris West, Haines City’s Mayor. “We are pleased that IRONMAN decided to bring this great event to Haines City.”

IRONMAN Florida will follow the IRONMAN 70.3 Florida course with certain modifications necessary to hold a full distance IRONMAN event. Details of the course, accommodation options and general information on the race will be provided in the coming days.

“We are saddened by damage to our longstanding partners in Panama City Beach and Bay County, agree that they need to focus on the immediate needs of their community, and look forward to supporting them in their recovery efforts at an appropriate time.” said Andrew Messick, President and Chief Executive Officer of IRONMAN. “Our team is working to deliver an exceptional race experience on the same weekend, and we are grateful for the responsiveness and flexibility of Polk County and Haines City in making this event a reality for our athletes.”

Athletes who have previously registered for IRONMAN Florida in Panama City Beach will be automatically registered for IRONMAN Florida in Haines City. No action is required.

The IRONMAN Foundation has also launched a Humanitarian Relief Effort campaign to raise funds in response to Hurricane Michael in Panama City Beach. As part of the campaign, the IRONMAN Foundation has pledged $50,000 to support local recovery efforts and will match all donations received by IRONMAN Florida race weekend, up to $100,000. Join us in supporting the Hurricane Michael Humanitarian Relief efforts in three different ways: 1) Make a donation; 2) Buy a custom Humanitarian Relief T-Shirt to support recovery efforts; and 3) Volunteer for a local service project which will be held in May of 2019, providing hands-on rebuilding assistance as our friends in this area look to recover during this difficult time. More Foundation fundraising activities for Panama City Beach and Bay County will be announced in the coming days.

For full details on the IRONMAN Foundation Michael Relief Effort and how to donate, purchase t-shirts or volunteer, visit www.ironmanfoundation.org/relief

Please continue to check the IRONMAN Florida Facebook page and the event website for regular updates. A revised schedule of events, course maps, and other pertinent information will be posted as soon as it is available this week. Athletes with questions can reach out to florida@ironman.com.

Thank you for your understanding, and please keep the community of Panama City Beach and Bay County in your thoughts over the coming days and weeks.

IRONMAN
Quote Reply
Re: IM Florida - offical announcement - Haines City [SayHey Kid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Applaud the bold move. Cancelling would have been ez. Plenty of lodging with Orlando and surrounding metro. And IM knows the area due to years with 70.3. Smart move IMO
Quote Reply
Re: IM Florida - offical announcement - Haines City [Schonner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good move for WTC. I know a lot of people who will be happy to get in their race in FL.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I feel bad for the people who trained for a pancake flat course. Haines City has a couple “hills”.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Florida - offical announcement - Haines City [SayHey Kid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Honestly... Haines City, FL is gross....
Quote Reply
Re: IM Florida - offical announcement - Haines City [ffmedic84] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The alternative is cancel. They busted their ass for an IM.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Florida - offical announcement - Haines City [ffmedic84] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
any idea? like 11-25 fine? or 11-28?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Schonner wrote:

I am grateful they busted their ass but I would have preferred the option to defer to another race of my choosing.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Florida - offical announcement - Haines City [downtowndj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
downtowndj wrote:
Schonner wrote:

I am grateful they busted their ass but I would have preferred the option to defer to another race of my choosing.

More proof that no matter what WTC does there’s always someone that will complain ... because it doesn’t suit their wants/needs.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Florida - offical announcement - Haines City [Viper966] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I live and train on the flat coast of Fl and raced Haines City this year with an 11-23 and never came out of the 53 ring up front. There are very few hills.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't believe people are still complaining.
I was depressed thinking about a year of training gone down the drain, I can't think of a better option than this given the circumstances.
Get your hotel reservation now, they are disappearing very quickly
Quote Reply
Re: IM Florida - offical announcement - Haines City [downtowndj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Some of the nicest people I ever worked with in my 30 years of race production in Florida live in Haines City and around the Polk County area! They are excited to be helping you achieve your goal to complete IM Florida. Z
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If they don’t also offer a deferment option this is an AWFUL move. The race is a day later! I’m not racing but many folks chose IMFL because it was on Saturday and they could work Monday. They can’t seriously be finished with the solution right? Forcing people to accept a new date on a new course in a new city 2 weeks before the race? No way. I’d be losing my mind over this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What about all the folks who can’t race now with the location AND date change. They’re just screwed? This is one of those situations that WTC often misses...its so easy to make everyone happy. Add deferment to the solution. Everyone wins.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The bike course in Haines City is pretty flat, but if they use the same run course (3 loops for 70.3, so 6 for IM) there are some decent hills. Sounds like a decent option considering the situation.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Re: IM Florida - offical announcement - Haines City [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What if you CANT make the race on Sunday? Some folks actually have jobs and require more notice than 2 weeks to take vacation. This solution is terrible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Those that race will have the best Ironman Florida story. I can't believe they are pulling this off but I love the Haines City course, having completed it 3 times. I think the participants will enjoy it if they go in with an open mind.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Schonner wrote:

Having had a race cancelled on me (IM Tahoe 2014), it sucks losing a year of training. I commend WTC for making this work.

For those that work the next day, have your support crew drive you home through the night after finishing the race. You can go to work the next day feeling fresh as a daisy.

Oui, mais pas de femme toute de suite (yes, but I am not ready for a woman straight away) -Stephen Roche's reply when asked whether he was okay after collapsing at the finish in the La Plagne stage of the 1987 Tour
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I gotta say, as an affected racer, I think it's a remarkable bit of adaptation on the part of IM. I'm more than likely going to be a Legacy guy for Kona, and was planning on getting # 10in now, with 11 and 12 next year. So, selfishly, I'm stoked to have the opportunity to race. I have the luxury of being local, so the logistics are manageable, and the cost of a few days in Haines City not too bad. It ain't the beach, but it was pretty questionable if we were even going to be able to get into PCB, and I still haven't heard from the hotel there, despite multiple attempts to contact.

Yeah, and there are plenty of people that are gonna be pissed. I get it, and it was inevitable-there's no way to keep everyone happy in this situation. But, as was pointed out in the announcement email, give 'em a few days to work out the details-there are likely some partial deferrals coming, me thinks.

But as for me, I'm gonna stay steady on it, ride in one ring less than I can, and shuffle off to finish #10, and glad for the opportunity.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kudos to Ironman for making it happen. Lot of work on short notice to completely change an 140.6 venue. People will still bitch about whatever IM does, but that beach trip was ruined anyway thanks to the hurricane. I just hope they workout something better than that shit-show of a run at the last Raleigh 70.3.

Don't drown. Don't crash. Don't walk.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Florida - offical announcement - Haines City [tomziebart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tomziebart wrote:
Some of the nicest people I ever worked with in my 30 years of race production in Florida live in Haines City and around the Polk County area! They are excited to be helping you achieve your goal to complete IM Florida. Z

Very classy and prompt move by Ironman! Tom, I have to think you might have had a hand in this, so kudos! As opposed to the recent swim cancellations and other shortening and/or cancellations, this is a huge effort and although I am not racing, I'm very impressed! This is so great giving people a full distance race given the terrible storm that ravaged the original site, well done! I was also exteremyl impressed with the response at IMWI, as living here, the devastation was crazy, yet they found a way. I call out their misgivings, but this time they hit a grand slam! Thanks Ironman.

Gary Geiger
http://www.geigerphoto.com Professional photographer

TEAM KiWAMi NORTH AMERICA http://www.kiwamitri.com, Rudy Project http://www.rudyprojectusa.com, GU https://guenergy.com/shop/ ; Salming World Ambassador; https://www.shopsalming.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Viper966 wrote:
i have ridden both on that course. 11/25 is manageable. the next year i went with a 28, because 25 have my power spike to high in spots. None of the climbs are long.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Viper966 wrote:

11-25 is fine. As mentioned it’s not bad it’s just not Panama flat. The run course could be a bit tough depending on the route they choose. Again not the back half of Chattanooga tough but not Panama flat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Viper966 wrote:

11-25 is just fine if you have a small ring IMO.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great job by WTC. Hope most can make the trip over to the new location and enjoy the race. All in all puts things into perspective!

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply

Prev Next