Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
IM Cutoff Should Be Decreased .
Quote | Reply
I know this has been debated alot but nothing is ever done about it. 17 hours is too much time when these things are filling up in less than 20 minutes. It leaves triathletes who are serious left out because they don't have a fast internet connection. Plus 10-20% don't finish the races !!

They should have a cut off of 14:10 - 1:40 hour swim cut off - 7:00 hours to do the bike - 5:00 hours to do the run. This cut off also allows for 30 minutes in transition, which should be more than enough time. If you cannot do this you are not swimming, biking and running !! You are more like wading, coasting and walking and taking a nap in transition.

But, what if someone is over 65 and/or handicaped, oh well !! I feel sorry for them but they don't belong in this race due to it's overcrowded nature.

Plus they should have a rule where if you don't finish the race for any reason you cannot sign up again the next year.

I see lots of "so called" Ironman newbees training very little (15 minutes/day in the pool)and either don't show up to the start of the race, or don't finish the race or post a really sucky time. All in all, they are taking up space.

I know I'll catch hell for this one, but something has to be done to be fair to the serious triathletes out there.

I'm going to start a petition, those interested please email me privately.

Markus

It's a bird, it's a plane, no it's.....Mequonman.
Last edited by: Mequonman: Jan 12, 07 11:18
Quote Reply
Re: IM Cutoff Should Be Decreased . [Mequonman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think we all agreed a 11:27:30 is about right.

Luckily, I beat that by a second.

:)

You sir, are my new hero! - Trifan 11/13/2008

Casey, you are a wise man - blueraider_mike 11/13/2008

Casey, This is an astute observation. - Slowbern 11/17/2008
Last edited by: Casey: Jan 12, 07 9:10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Puuleezzzzzzeee, not this again. You didn't even get the cutoff times correct! 2:40 for the swim?!!?

Behold the turtle! He makes progess only when he sticks his neck out. (James Bryant Conant)
GET OFF THE F*%KING WALL!!!!!!! (Doug Stern)
Brevity is the soul of wit. (William Shakespeare)
Quote Reply
Re: IM Cutoff Should Be Decreased . [parkito] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We never let the facts get in the way here.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: IM Cutoff Should Be Decreased . [Casey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lets put a petition together and send it too IM Northamerica.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just so I am clear. You think that even if someone pays the same entry fee as you, spends money on a bike and training gear like you and trains (although maybe not as hard as you, maybe as hard as you without the ability), you think they should not be allowed to race unless they meet certain cutoffs that would help those who are too lazy to register on a faster connection to get in? What about the pro who has an off day? They don't get to race the next year or should they get a bye because they had an off day and are a pro. What about if someone gets injured? Maybe they will get injured next year also.....Blue eyes? Its proven they have a higher risk of eye infections and they may get one during the race which would cause them to wreck and not finish. Yep, better cut off the blue eyes also.

"I have no fear of losing my life - if I have to save a koala or a crocodile or a kangaroo or a snake, mate, I will save it. "
Steve Irwin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
troll
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

I know I'll catch hell for this one, but something has to be done to be fair to the serious triathletes out there.

sorry, these threads do piss me off. so, according to you, because I'm not fast I'm not a "serious triathlete"?

and why extend the swim cut-off but lower the other two? how's your swimming?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good catch, sorry I meant to put 1:40, changed it.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So let's say that an older person would like to race but physically, their body just can't go faster. Are you saying too bad, they shouldn't be allowed to race an IM?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[reply]Good catch, sorry I meant to put 1:40, changed it.[/reply]

lol...wrong again.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Cutoff Should Be Decreased . [crikey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know! Let's just charge anyone who finishes over 14 hrs or DNFs a second registration fee! Penalize the buggers! That's what I say. That will teach them a lesson they soon won't forget! Little rat bastard posers.

Behold the turtle! He makes progess only when he sticks his neck out. (James Bryant Conant)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't understand your correlation between a 14:00 cut off time and the race filling up quickly. You're making the assumption that the race is being filled by people who will finish after the 14 hour cut off time you propose. I am assuming, because I'm not going to look up the stats, that the majority of the people in each race finish before the 14 hour cut off time you propose, and would have the same effect on the races filling up so quickly.

Now if you want to talk about having some type of pre-qualifying condition that's a different story. But I doubt moving the cut off times will actually solve the problem that you are trying to solve.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Cutoff Should Be Decreased . [crikey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Just so I am clear. You think that even if someone pays the same entry fee as you, spends money on a bike and training gear like you and trains (although maybe not as hard as you, maybe as hard as you without the ability), you think they should not be allowed to race unless they meet certain cutoffs that would help those who are too lazy to register on a faster connection to get in? What about the pro who has an off day? They don't get to race the next year or should they get a bye because they had an off day and are a pro. What about if someone gets injured? Maybe they will get injured next year also.....Blue eyes? Its proven they have a higher risk of eye infections and they may get one during the race which would cause them to wreck and not finish. Yep, better cut off the blue eyes also.

Yes, they should not be in that race. Number 1, they were not serious about training 1st of all if they cannot post those times. Number 2, injury is usually caused by undertraining issues and not being prepared properly, thus not serious. Eye infections, give me a break.

Markus

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

I know I'll catch hell for this one, but something has to be done to be fair to the serious triathletes out there. Can we start a petition?

Markus
You'll catch alot of hell about this, we are in a feel good society now where everyone is equal and nobody should ever be told no. I want to play in a NBA game but I'm not black or tall enough but I still want to play, why shouldn't I be aloud to join world class players when average athletes join world class triathletes on the same starting line?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah. There is no way Sister Madonna Buder deserves to be an Ironman finisher.

Serioiusly - if you're going to troll, at least be original.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Cutoff Should Be Decreased . [TriBrian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not a troll.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you don't like the way IM is run, then you don't have to do it. Saying that people 65 and older or handicapped shouldn't be in the race is an elitist, and inconsiderate point of view. Young or old, fast or slow, I think the decision to enter a race even if it's crowded resides on the participant.

Does their participation hinder you? If you are saying that you are far more deserving to be in a race than them, then I seriously think that you have an ego problem.

As for "serious triathletes," they may be important to the race but a lot of people are racing out of pure desire to have fun, connect with others in sharing the IM experience, as well as achieving a life goal. Winning isn't everything, for more than many people that compete.

You see, Ironman isn't one of those things where you can only do if you are a pro, or an elite triathlete. It's about every man, and every woman. I think many people would like to ride the Tour de France but that's only by invitation. How great it is then that "regular" athletes can race side by side with "elite" athletes at most triathlons, especially Ironman. That, by itself is pretty cool. Crowding won't decrease even if the cutoff time is decreased. There are far too many people locked out of competition because of the time that the race fills up and even if there were X athletes deterred by the cutoff time, X athletes that are able would do it anyway.

Lots of people do Ironman to prove something. At an elder age or handicapped, I think it's all the more amazing for them to do the race to prove something either for themselves or to others. They have all the right to be there as you.

"Hey man hey man... your mom still make that Thai food?"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"But, what if someone is over 65 and/or handicaped, oh well !! I feel sorry for them but they don't belong in this race due to it's overcrowded nature."

I'm speechless except to note you misspelled handicapped.
-----------------------

Born again Heathen
In Case of Keith Moon - Break This Glass
Ironman Certified Coach
USAT Certified Coach
Precision Nutrition Certified
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure if you're just trolling or not, but 7hrs is a pretty respectable bike split in Lanzarote.

I've done a 5:08 bike split on a quick course and took over 6:30 on a windy day in Lanza.

Leave the cut offs where they are. It's one of the things that makes Ironman so special.

http://www.planet-x-bikes.com/triathlon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if you're pissed about the races filling up, enter an independant race that doesn't sell out. there are plenty of good ones.

Unless you're gunning for a Kona slot, of course....then you're stuck. Deal with it.

I couldn't disagree more with your suggestion.

my twitter feed
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good catch, sorry I meant to put 1:40, changed it.

Your times still don't add up.

Quote Reply
Re: IM Cutoff Should Be Decreased . [sheen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

Does their participation hinder you? If you are saying that you are far more deserving to be in a race than them, then I seriously think that you have an ego problem.

As for "serious triathletes," they may be important to the race but a lot of people are racing out of pure desire to have fun, connect with others in sharing the IM experience, as well as achieving a life goal. Winning isn't everything, for more than many people that compete.

yes, there participation does hinder me. I cannot get in to the race because they have this "want to have fun" attitude and don't show up to the start of the race or don't finish.

Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: Martin C: Jan 12, 07 9:26
Quote | Reply
yah they do. Read a little more.... 1:40 + 7:00 + 5:00 + 0:30 transition = 14:10. Unless math changed since I was in school. ?

Quote Reply

Prev Next