Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
IM Canada bike course changes again...
Quote | Reply
3 years....3 (possible) bike courses! From their Facebook page:

"Join race director Christine Cogger for a special Subaru IRONMAN Canada BIKE COURSE announcement this Friday at 11am PST!"

Anyone have insight?
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada bike course changes again... [SwizBeats] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Boulder has been doing that every year since the first event in 2015, nothing wrong with that.

However, I suspect many (heavier) snowflakes complained about the elevation on this course...

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They achieved Peace in the Valley, and have reconciled with Pemberton?

Seriously, my hat goes off to Christine for making this all happen in the first place, because I can't imagine how difficult it must be to navigate the complexities of two simultaneous races on one course.

But whatever they come up with, it can't be worse than the current 3 loop, all-in configuration: I had more close calls passing riders on the 2018 version than I have accumulated over my entire riding career. The crowding made the bike absolutely terrifying.
Last edited by: davetallo: Dec 19, 18 8:01
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada bike course changes again... [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hadukla wrote:
Boulder has been doing that every year since the first event in 2015, nothing wrong with that.

However, I suspect many (heavier) snowflakes complained about the elevation on this course...

I don't know how you could avoid the elevation while being tied to such a small parcel of real estate. Unless Pemberton!
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada bike course changes again... [davetallo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
davetallo wrote:
hadukla wrote:

I don't know how you could avoid the elevation while being tied to such a small parcel of real estate. Unless Pemberton!

DUFFY LAKE ROAD FTW.

https://www.strava.com/segments/613375
Last edited by: NordicSkier: Dec 19, 18 9:08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Christine is really limited by geography and politics here. But from my experience with her and the race (2013 and 2018) she is the last RD to kowtow to pressure to make a course easier. That's not even a consideration for her.

I actually think the 2013 version with 5K plus climbing was effectively harder with a 20 mile climb to finish the bike. 2018 was a bit slower, but the climbing was more constant, no big climbs at all. Weather dependent of course, as 2018 was 95 degrees unclipping from the bike.

My problem with 2018 was the sheer repetition on a US HWY. 99 is not the best BC has to offer, third loop was a snoozefest. I can only ride up Powerline Hill so many times... And oh yeah. Alta Lake Road. I didn't experience huge crowds, but crowding was an issue, and I got buzzed once by a douchebag... And saw guys in a ditch on each of the 3 loops, being assisted by medical, so some people have hard times riding the correct line on a road like that.

Hopefully Callaghan to the top is added back in, I know that was a desire. I didn't even mind the last climb from Pemberton, but I didn't like the flats as the drafting was fucking horrendous. I'd be happy going down to Pemberton and turning right back around to go back up.

I had determined not to do it again if the bike course didn't change and was looking at IMMT, but I am going to wait and see what she says
Last edited by: ChrisM: Dec 19, 18 9:41
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada bike course changes again... [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did the 70.3 this year, and I felt bad for the folks doing the full as that ride up Callaghan was my favorite part of the race!!!
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada bike course changes again... [lolo314] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lolo314 wrote:
I did the 70.3 this year, and I felt bad for the folks doing the full as that ride up Callaghan was my favorite part of the race!!!

It was part of the course in 2013. We drove up the day after, I PM'd Christine begging her to put it back in, it was also my favorite.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada bike course changes again... [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fun fact.
For a few years, I’d run a “race” lovingly called Defeat the Duffey”. You’d hand over all timing devices at the bottom, guess your time to the top and we’d do a time trial start. Winner was whoever rode closest to their guessed time, prize was something like a bag of local produce. And of course, bragging rights.

Hope to see you guys online Friday.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada bike course changes again... [SMO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SMO wrote:
Fun fact.
For a few years, I’d run a “race” lovingly called Defeat the Duffey”. You’d hand over all timing devices at the bottom, guess your time to the top and we’d do a time trial start. Winner was whoever rode closest to their guessed time, prize was something like a bag of local produce. And of course, bragging rights.

Hope to see you guys online Friday.

Awesome!

I've never ridden around there I've just heard about that climb.
My wife wants to do Whistler 70.3 this year though, so I'm going to try and get a pass from her to do the Hellracer circuit while we're out there.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada bike course changes again... [davetallo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
davetallo wrote:

But whatever they come up with, it can't be worse than the current 3 loop, all-in configuration: I had more close calls passing riders on the 2018 version than I have accumulated over my entire riding career. The crowding made the bike absolutely terrifying.

+1. I'm out until a significant route change is made - preferably back to the 2017 course.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada bike course changes again... [SMO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There ya go then. Here's your one loop course ;)

https://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/2346327340
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ChrisM wrote:

Change the run course to a mountain top and you have an xtri.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada bike course changes again... [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
ChrisM wrote:

Change the run course to a mountain top and you have an xtri.

Could run T2 up to the swinging bridge at the top. A mini Norseman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
She's not the last RD to do so. Not even close.
Even if you consider only WTC event, Lanzarote has been there for years and have no intention to make it easier.
And outside of WTC, there are many RDs who said F it...let's make it insane :-)
Norseman, Celtman, Embrunman etc.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada bike course changes again... [jpk_phx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jpk_phx wrote:
davetallo wrote:

+1. I'm out until a significant route change is made - preferably back to the 2017 course.

The course was very dangerous (to me as a spectator)

I saw about 10 near misses between pedestrians and cyclists at various intersections.

I remember watching the bike and feeling sick to my stomach that something really bad was going to happen.

Hopefully they can change back to the old route. If up the Duffy they will have to get band (my Currie) approval.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada bike course changes again... [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As entertaining as it would be, Duffey Lake Road is not involved.

See you all Friday!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ChrisM wrote:

I did the Duffy Lake climb in 2017 and it's a lot of fun when its 95 degrees, smoky, and you are out of water haha.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada bike course changes again... [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Francois wrote:
She's not the last RD to do so. Not even close.
Even if you consider only WTC event, Lanzarote has been there for years and have no intention to make it easier.
And outside of WTC, there are many RDs who said F it...let's make it insane :-)
Norseman, Celtman, Embrunman etc.

Wrong standard. No one has changed or proposed changing Whistler to make it "easier"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have no idea what you’re trying to say. I can’t even tell what your wrong standard means.
You said she’s the only director who etc.
Just pointed out the many races who just don’t care about making it easier.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can thank the head of PNW WTC for that. Dave just moved up there from boulder and has never met a course change he didn't love. Local law enforcement agencies particularly despised working with Dave. Dave seems to have a need to put his own personal stamp on an event. If a course and event have solid logistics and ease of use, they should probably be changed... just because. #eyeroll

-signed... a boulder race director that talks with local LEA's

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Garmin Glycogen Use App | Garmin Fat Use App
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
as an aside - when should I start looking at AirBnb's for the weekend?

when I registered it seemed like most of the selection hadn't really came out for the summer yet
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada bike course changes again... [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Francois wrote:
I have no idea what you’re trying to say. I can’t even tell what your wrong standard means.
You said she’s the only director who etc.
Just pointed out the many races who just don’t care about making it easier.

It is, of course, a turn of phrase.

And also of course I didn't say "only."
Last edited by: ChrisM: Dec 19, 18 13:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hadukla wrote:

LOL you are probably right, I can't begin to tell you all the complaining on the IM Canada FB page and people who pulled out after seeing the new course, yea it was tough and the 90 deg weather didn't help but thats why its called an Ironman. Though I would say the course was a lot less scenic compared to the 2017 race. Anyway dude are you still doing IM Canada? I'm making my annual trip to Vancouver so if you're going I can plan to have my dates overlap... will prob either spectate or volunteer....
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada bike course changes again... [JTNY] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes I am definitely doing it and so is Jessie (70.3).

Saw the earlier post? someone already found the new route on mapmyride, it's brutal.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply

Prev Next