Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IM Cairns Currie and Jacobs and Simpson
Quote | Reply
Huge win by Braiden Currie in Cairns today. He went wire to wire and runs a 2:35 (was on track for 2:32 but eased off late being clear for the win).

Pete Jacobs home in 8.09 for 4th place with solid times in all three legs. Now 40 and a long time between results it was great to see him get that.

In The women’s Kylie Simpson ran 2:51 and had a very strong bike. She was 13 mins down after the swim but won by 18mins. If she can solve the swim she could be a contender at world champ level but has some major work to do in the water.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Cairns Currie and Jacobs and Simpson [Gilliga] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know why but I always root for Pete Jacobs when he turns up for these out of nowhere. I'm not sure anybody had quite the career drop off that he did especially given his age at the time, but nobody can ever take that title away from him.

Hopefully Currie saves some juice for Nice, that's an incredible performance.

Team Zoot 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gilliga wrote:
Huge win by Braiden Currie in Cairns today. He went wire to wire and runs a 2:35 (was on track for 2:32 but eased off late being clear for the win).

Pete Jacobs home in 8.09 for 4th place with solid times in all three legs. Now 40 and a long time between results it was great to see him get that.

In The women’s Kylie Simpson ran 2:51 and had a very strong bike. She was 13 mins down after the swim but won by 18mins. If she can solve the swim she could be a contender at world champ level but has some major work to do in the water.

Watching Currie run was unbelievable, looked so strong! Poor McKenna on the other hand looked pretty beat up on the run. Id say he was carrying fatigue from Port Mac but it didn't seem to affect Kylie Simpson with back to back wins.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Currie will be serious contender come September.

The harder the terrain, the better he is and with a solid MTB background, his descending skills will be head and shoulders above most of the field. Am looking forward to see him really take on the race and make it interesting.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Cairns Currie and Jacobs and Simpson [oakie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oakie wrote:
Currie will be serious contender come September.

The harder the terrain, the better he is and with a solid MTB background, his descending skills will be head and shoulders above most of the field. Am looking forward to see him really take on the race and make it interesting.

He has moved his family to Noosa to prepare. And let me tell you, Noosa isn’t a cheap place to live.

I’m not sure it has the hills to compare with NICE.

I do wonder if he will be going there early too for a block before taper
Quote Reply
Re: IM Cairns Currie and Jacobs and Simpson [Slowrunner711] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Currie will be up there, I think Frodo and he will be off the front, Jan has long been one
Of the best cyclists in Ironman and he and Currie have similar front pack swims.

2:35 is the new 2:40 , i think Macca,Crowie, Faris and all the great champions would have been just as fast had they had the current shoe tech. But that is a debate for another thread.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tipping a new champion.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
what is simpsons background who is coaching here where does she train, i would be interested to know

and good on jacobs i think he did a few races lately and they did not work out he must be happy with this one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gilliga wrote:
Currie will be up there, I think Frodo and he will be off the front, Jan has long been one
Of the best cyclists in Ironman and he and Currie have similar front pack swims.
2:35 is the new 2:40 ,. . . a debate for another thread.

Descending into facts, Currie ran 2:37:44 - a great run.
Easy to see Currie as one of the 'St George 5' in Nice (so Laidlow there too, if he's not moving house) plus Neumann and Chevrot. Whether Frodeno will be prepared to ride that hard is doubtful (2023 version Frodeno).
Of all those likely into Nice's T1 close, Currie - with a 2:37 as evidence (it was a full 42.2km btw) and Chevrot (2:31 at Hamburg (800m short)) - have the legs. Even if Ditlev can bridge up, he is not as good a runner and Lange will have minutes to make up.
I reckon Iden will, after a lacklustre few months WTCSing, decide after all to race at the IMWC Nice, in which case we'll see the extent to which a season's training for standard distance can morph to prep for 7+ hours. Recall he descended from Le Broc into the Var valley competitively (passing Brownlee and catching von Berg, on a road bike) in September 2019.
Last edited by: Ajax Bay: Jun 19, 23 12:50
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow great to hear Jacobs dug himself out of the grave. It must be hard to find motivation as someone of a past era to compete with today's talent, especially what he has been through. Would be great to hear an interview. I did watch the movie he was in "whatever it takes"
Quote Reply