Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IM CDA new bike course - any insight?
Quote | Reply
I've heard its easier than the old course and I've heard its tougher than the old course. Anyone actually ridden both? Comparison?
Quote Reply
Re: IM CDA new bike course - any insight? [CaliforniaTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There have been discussions on ST and Trinewbies about the course. Some of them are here and here and here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done both courses - I did IMCDA in 2004 and I've ridden this course twice in building up to doing the race this year. My opinon, the new course is easier.

The main feature of the new course is short, rolling hills. I don't think it took me longer than 4-5 minutes, riding at an easy aerobic pace, to climb any of the hills. Additionally, I think the wind effect has been minimized in the new course. The old course had a significant east-west portion. The predominant wind in the valley is from the west, making the second loop into the wind a real bear. The new course is more north-south, and as a bonus, is sheltered by a lot of trees and homes during the Hayden Lake portion. If the wind is out of the west, it won't really be a factor except as a side wind and occasionally head wind on some of the east west portions.

The course profile makes it look like it's a bear. It's not. Look at the scale - I think at most we climb 200 feet at one go. Because the course spends so much time going up and down, your ability to flip gears and climb and descent efficiently will be a key success factor.

Lastly, I think the new course is just more enjoyable. The old course was kind of drab. The big climb was nice, but after that kind of boring. The new course goes through some cool neighborhoods, farmland and lots of trees. I saw turkeys, llamas, and lots of the typical livestock. Pretty cool
Quote Reply
Re: IM CDA new bike course - any insight? [TruckeeTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the insight... quick question, how are the road conditions on the new course?
Quote Reply
Re: IM CDA new bike course - any insight? [bpq] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pretty good. It's not buttery smooth, but there's not a lot of cracks. The road is coarse chip seal that has been smoothed down over time. I don't recall it being a factor during my rides.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I've heard its easier than the old course and I've heard its tougher than the old course. Anyone actually ridden both? Comparison?
I rode a loop of Both courses Today, and yes, my legs are cooked! (If you were out there today, I was the slow guy on the black Titanflex.)

IMO, the new course has more climbing, is more scenic, is slightly shadier, and is better wind protected. Road surfaces are still sketchy in spots with loose gravel. Government Way is still under construction in Hayden but the official course jogs over to Maple St. just before the construction zone.

I prefer the new course to the old, but I think it's harder overall and times will be slower this year (assuming equal weather).

"100% of the people who confuse correlation and causation end up dying."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you don't IM-Wisconsin? I'd be interested to hear how the new CdA course compares to the constant short hills of Wis.

-C

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TruckeeTri is dead on with the observations. I've ridden both courses extensively and couldn't have explained it better myself. Watch out for deer.....they are everywhere on the new course. Cheers.
Quote Reply