Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IM Austria gearing
Quote | Reply
Q for anyone whao has done it. That one steep hill (doing it 3 times) looks ugly. What gearing would you recommend? I would rather have enough for that and spin out on a downhill than be grinding all day. Because it is an otherwise fast course, I was thinking a 13-23. Do I need a 25, thus giving up the tight middle cogs?

BTW, I have a normal cadence (not too fast or slow) and have chicken legs, so I'm slow going up.

thanks
Quote Reply
Re: IM Austria gearing [slowfathappy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi

I completed IM Austria with 53/39 and 11-23 last year, the hill isn't as bad as it used to be , it gets steep for about 200 yards, I used a blade , which definately is the lightest machine in the world.

I don't think you'll spin out on the downhill as you still need to work your socks off as it undulates a fair bit

Trizilla...My local bike shop a few thousand Ks away

Speed Hurts ...How fast do you want to go
Quote Reply
Re: IM Austria gearing [nimbleblade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Used 12-25 last year, 11-23 this year. Depends on watt at AT and cadence of course ...
Quote Reply
Re: IM Austria gearing [adal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks, guys. a follow up: did you find yourselves using the 11 and 12, respectively, a lot? As I said, I was thinking about a 13 to keep a tight cluster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think a 58-11 would be good
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, down Rupertiberg I used it ... but I don's spin very well, my cadence is usually <90

I am very flexible between 80 and 90 though, so I don't need a straight block. Again, if you tell me your cadence range and watts at AT (or expected finishing time) I might give you an indication. If you expect to be <6:00 for the bike, go for a 12, <5:30 go for 11 IMHO
Quote Reply
Re: IM Austria gearing [adal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's hard for em to even guess at a time, as it's my first one. Maybe around 5:45 to 6:15 (bike time only, not overall) - that's a joke. I actually hope it's almost closer to the latter, as I'd hate to gain 10 minutes on the bike to give up an hour on the run.

Thanks for taking the time to respond
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I expected myselve at that last year - my first IM. Was very happy with 12-25, went just sub 5:40 in the end, last round was way slower than the first. I guess 13-26 is ok as well, but I would go for 12-25 in your case.

There are 2 long downhills, one directly from the ruperti and one down to Klagenfurt where a 12 came handy for me and an 11 would not hurt either. But again - if you don't mind spinning 100 at times, a 13 will definitely work as well. I get very tired with spinning. My experience is, that I can trash my legs with low cadences as much as I like and still run my speed (OD about 42 minutes for 10K). But "easy" spinning somehow destroys my legs ... Might be personal though ...

I plan on 5:25 this year (3* my second round :-) ), gearing 11-23 this time ...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would say forget the 13 and go with the 12, not a huge difference block wise, if concerned could use a 12-25 or a 12-27.

Trizilla...My local bike shop a few thousand Ks away

Speed Hurts ...How fast do you want to go
Quote Reply