Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IM Athletes are the coolest
Quote | Reply
So I'm out riding my bike yesterday, and I see a guy who's obviously in town for IM CDA cruise by in the opposite direction. He's riding a blue Yaqui. I ain't never seen one of those in real life, so I turn around and chase him down, hoping he doesn't mind if I ride along next to him for a few minutes to check out his ride.

When I catch up to him, he pulls over and lets me drool all over his bike. Super nice guy. Tells me all about how much he loves the bike, how great Ves Mandaric is, and how much he loves the bike. Get this- the guy proceeds to offer me a spin on his bike. Right there on the side of the road. Can you beat that? I didn't take him up on it, because:

I've fallen over on my own bike twice this year,

+ yesterday was my third ride with my new clipless pedals,

+ the guy and his bike were four days from IM.

The math just wasn't working. Couldn't bring myself to risk his ride. But the offer totally made my day.

Dude, if you're reading this, thanks, that was way cool. I'll be pulling for you Sunday!

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: IM Athletes are the coolest [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
not an IM athlete so my coolness factor is slightly diminished..but anyone who stares at my Softride (very well appointed Softride I might add) gets the same offer. Don't just stare at it..take the thing for a ride..you know you want to. Most just say no thanks (never sure why, it was in borrowing one from someone else that got me hooked) and walk away..like I'm kidding or something. Heck, got injured a while back and loaned it out to a guy for the better part of three months so he could train for/race a late season tri. One of my best friends now (and he's going to be an orthopedic surgeon..could come in handy later in life). Just don't understand why more people don't do stuff like this. Doesn't cost you anything to let someone take your bike for a spin and if something breaks..cripes it can be fixed.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Athletes are the coolest [Kentiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's how I got to ride a Merlin Extralight. I was riding in the sag wagon with this ripper coming back from a 2 day out & back that I was woefully unprepared for and we decided to ride in the final 30k. She was about my size, and had noticed me drooling (over the bike, although she was nice too). We swapped bikes and I was in heaven for a little over an hour. She was on a bottom-rung Gardin road bike with 105 components, but seemed pleased to allow me my moment.

I should add that neither of us were triathletes at the time, much less IM'ers.

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Last edited by: Khai: Jun 24, 04 11:39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
funny you say that - last month, a friend came to visit, brought his Trek touring bike, so we went for about a 20 mile ride. After about 15 minutes, he starts complaining that he has never found a saddle that he likes. We're about the same height, same shoe size (he's wearing SPD, I have Look), so I offer to swap bikes for the ride home so he can try out my Arione saddle. Like you, he declined, mainly because he was afraid he might like it!

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wonder if it was JohnA

"your horse is too high" - tigerchik
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds about as cool as you offering up a bed to a slowtwitcher coming for the race. Sounds like good karma to me. :)
Quote Reply
Re: IM Athletes are the coolest [frogonawire] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]same shoe size (he's wearing SPD, I have Look), [/reply]

That's a problem these days... back in the day when I was a pure roadie, everyone either ran Look or Time - so it was really easy to swap bikes around for kicks. These days it's a pain in the ass. Speedplay? X or Zero? Shimanook? Lance style or the old style? Time? Impacts, or the classic style? Add to the mix Crank Bros, Coombe, Keywin (my personal pedal) and the like, and all of a sudden it's nearly impossible to do a road swap unless one of you are carrying a pedal wrench.

Still fun though. :)

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: IM Athletes are the coolest [irongeek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wonder if it was JohnA No, his name wasn't John.

Sounds about as cool as you offering up a bed to a slowtwitcher coming for the race. Offer stands for next year, BTW.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply