Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
IM Asheville?
Quote | Reply
Any new news on IM Asheville? Just moved from Asheville to Golden CO. While I was leaving, there was rumors and the video from the city. When I got here they announce IM Boulder. Should I be squirreling away $1200 now or just plan on boulder and some other races?
Quote Reply
Re: IM Asheville? [russllmar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anticipating a July announcement on whether or not Asheville (or Hilton Head, or Myrtle Beach, or Winston Salem, etc) has been awarded the race.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Asheville? [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Or Chattanooga, TN.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Asheville? [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As of midweek, the winning city had not been communicated to. I bet we end up having to wait until late July...especially since WTC just announced Boulder.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Asheville? [NeverEnough] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NeverEnough wrote:
As of midweek, the winning city had not been communicated to. I bet we end up having to wait until late July...especially since WTC just announced Boulder.

And it's corresponding $1000+ price tag. Hopefully Asheville or wherever is an economical alternative.

Pete Githens
Reading, PA
Quote Reply
Re: IM Asheville? [Mr. October] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Boulder is $675, not $1000.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: IM Asheville? [GMAN19030] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GMAN19030 wrote:
Boulder is $675, not $1000.

I see that now. I misunderstood the $1035 for the tri series as being for just the IM. That actually isn't such a bad deal.

Pete Githens
Reading, PA
Quote Reply
Re: IM Asheville? [NeverEnough] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NeverEnough wrote:

I really hope we don't have to wait that long...I keep hearing an announcement is going to happen by mid month. Having second thoughts about Asheville. I'd definitely consider it, but the difficulty of that ride would be high, IMO. Myrtle Beach or Hilton Head are sounding better and better to me.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Asheville? [d00d] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
d00d wrote:
I'd definitely consider it, but the difficulty of that ride would be high, IMO.

That's what I like about it! I find the hilly stuff, while physically harder, is mentally easier. If that makes any sense at all. I guess I like variety in the terrain.

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
BikeFit Instructor | FMS | F.I.S.T. | IBFI
Toughman Triathlon Series Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: IM Asheville? [Travis R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just hope that they make their SE announcement before July 17th when Boulder opens. Wishful thinking, I know.

Janyne
Quote Reply
Re: IM Asheville? [jmkizer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jmkizer wrote:
I just hope that they make their SE announcement before July 17th when Boulder opens. Wishful thinking, I know.

Same here
Quote Reply
Re: IM Asheville? [russllmar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am sure its been mentioned on another thread but is there an approximate date for Asheville if it becomes a reality?
Quote Reply
Re: IM Asheville? [instigator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sept. 2014
Quote Reply
Re: IM Asheville? [instigator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To expand on what Constantine posted:

The rumor is Labor Day weekend, so 1st weekend of Sept 2014.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Myrtle Beach Labor Day weekend not for me....and I live a half hour from there.

Ashville is my choice, cooler temps and better riding conditions, I'll take hills over hot constant wind any day of the week.

Ron W.

Quote Reply
Re: IM Asheville? [rjsurfer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would thing that Labor Day week-end would not bode well for Asheville. Asheville already has a very good tourism draw over labor day as do Hilton Head and Myrtle Beach. I read the same that others did that WRC was looking at that week-end for the race. I would not be surprised if they move the date to the week-end after labor day.

Either way i hope they announce soon.

Best,
Greg
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:

Would KQs be for the current year or the next?
Quote Reply
Re: IM Asheville? [rockfish] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rockfish wrote:
I would thing that Labor Day week-end would not bode well for Asheville. Asheville already has a very good tourism draw over labor day as do Hilton Head and Myrtle Beach. I read the same that others did that WRC was looking at that week-end for the race. I would not be surprised if they move the date to the week-end after labor day.

Either way i hope they announce soon.

Best,
Greg

Then it would be the same date as IMWISC has been historically. WTC seems purposeful in not having IMs on the same weekend in the same country.

Though the more they expand they will eventually need to move away from this business model.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
d00d wrote:
japarker24 wrote:

Would KQs be for the current year or the next?

Recently, August 31 has been the cut off for Kona qualifying.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My friend emailed WTC and asked when to expect a decision about Ashevill, HH, or MBeach 140.6. The response was "We currently have no plans to have an event in any of the venues that you've listed." FWIW
Quote Reply
Re: IM Asheville? [rine58] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rine58 wrote:
My friend emailed WTC and asked when to expect a decision about Ashevill, HH, or MBeach 140.6. The response was "We currently have no plans to have an event in any of the venues that you've listed." FWIW
you seem to forget about other venues that were in the mix. consider those
Quote Reply
Re: IM Asheville? [trigeekrusk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That leaves Raleigh, Chattanooga or Winston Salem, am i missing any others?

Surprised they would come out with such a statement or if its fair to draw that conclusion from the email.

GS
Quote Reply
Re: IM Asheville? [trigeekrusk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yea, I know other areas put in bids or were in the rumor-mill, just relaying info that was given. Hopefully some news soon wherever they decide.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Asheville? [rockfish] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree that it is a surprising statement. Unless they've already notified those locations that they are out of the running, it would be bad form to release that kind of information.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Asheville? [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Or it is just standard corporate practice to not consider anything 'planned' until it is announced. They said they had no 'plans', not that they weren't looking or investigating or considering a race in those venues.

I'd bet money that if they had been asked the same question about Boulder the day before the announcement, they would have given pretty much the same answer. Answering it almost any other way would have been a tacit announcement that they were chosing one of those locations. I think (hope) that we are still in the running. They will announce it when / if they are ready, and until then it doesn't exist.

"Some folks plan for the optimum race, others like to get upset when others out plan them. "
Quote Reply

Prev Next