Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IM 70.3 Atlantic City 2024?
Quote | Reply
Just got the email from Ironman with the 2024 schedule and Atlantic City is the only one I noticed missing that I haven't seen an announcement about. Does anyone know if this is the last year for AC? Always seems to draw a big field, so a bit surprised to not see it on the calendar.
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 Atlantic City 2024? [TJL3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TJL3 wrote:
Just got the email from Ironman with the 2024 schedule and Atlantic City is the only one I noticed missing that I haven't seen an announcement about. Does anyone know if this is the last year for AC? Always seems to draw a big field, so a bit surprised to not see it on the calendar.

The city sold Bader Field in order to turn it into a motorsports park of sorts. I suspect that without that area for transition, it would be hard to put on this race. Bummer. I rather liked it, and I am not at all a fan of AC in general.
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 Atlantic City 2024? [g_lev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting. An updated schedule showing a "Coming Soon" for Atlantic City.......

https://www.ironman.com/na-open-2024#IRONMAN703races
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 Atlantic City 2024? [bulldog15] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DelMo posted a comment on FB saying this would be the last year of AC70.3.

Whether that means it's the last year he's producing it, or the last year of the race, is yet to be seen.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, this popped up in my google searches.

Temporarily on the USAT website, it said the 2024 US AG championships would be held on Sept 13-15, 2024 in Atlantic City, NJ. I did save a partial screenshot (https://i.imgur.com/w71eqvx.jpeg) but I can't find reference to it now.

The USAT membership hub shows Atlantic City 70.3 also being held at the same place on the same dates (https://member.usatriathlon.org/...D%5Bstate_code%5D=NJ) (also https://i.imgur.com/FQ2a10v.png)

I wonder if either there is a conflict, they will try and run both at the same time (like PTOs this year) or they prematurely announced one or both of these.

Also, hotels are all considered fully booked for that weekend in Atlantic City. But that could be as simple as it being over 365 days from now.
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 Atlantic City 2024? [shadowdocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interestingly there were all sorts of speculation this weekend that Age Group Nationals would be back in Milwaukee, Des Moines or Omaha but not one mention of Atlantic City. At the awards ceremony Tim Yount asked the crowd how many liked the Milwaukee venue and most everyone's hands went up. He asked how many people didn't like it and not one hand went up. He seemed sort of shocked by the crowd's response. In retrospect, I find it odd that the question was asked and he did not announce the venue would be in Atlantic City since USAT obviously knew since it's on their website today. Personally, I thought the last three years in Milwaukee were great. The City opened their arms to the race, you could walk from almost any hotel to the race site and there were great food options. Curious as to those who have done Atlantic City 70.3 think of the venue.
Last edited by: 2brokenhips: Aug 7, 23 14:24
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 Atlantic City 2024? [2brokenhips] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2brokenhips wrote:
Interestingly there were all sorts of speculation this weekend that Age Group Nationals would be back in Milwaukee, Des Moines or Omaha but not one mention of Atlantic City. At the awards ceremony Tim Yount asked the crowd how many liked the Milwaukee venue and most everyone's hands went up. He asked how many people didn't like it and not one hand went up. He seemed sort of shocked by the crowd's response. In retrospect, I find it odd that the question was asked and he did not announce the venue would be in Atlantic City since USAT obviously knew since it's on their website today. Personally, I thought the last three years in Milwaukee were great. The City opened their arms to the race, you could walk from almost any hotel to the race site and there were great food options. Curios as to those who have done Atlantic City 70.3 think of the venue.

After MKE hosted draft legal races this year, I want to see them in the running for a World Triathlon grand final. The venue is impossible to beat for a large race like that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2brokenhips wrote:
Interestingly there were all sorts of speculation this weekend that Age Group Nationals would be back in Milwaukee, Des Moines or Omaha but not one mention of Atlantic City. At the awards ceremony Tim Yount asked the crowd how many liked the Milwaukee venue and most everyone's hands went up. He asked how many people didn't like it and not one hand went up. He seemed sort of shocked by the crowd's response. In retrospect, I find it odd that the question was asked and he did not announce the venue would be in Atlantic City since USAT obviously knew since it's on their website today. Personally, I thought the last three years in Milwaukee were great. The City opened their arms to the race, you could walk from almost any hotel to the race site and there were great food options. Curios as to those who have done Atlantic City 70.3 think of the venue.

As someone who has never done AGNC and knows I should at least once....per everyone.....having it in Atlantic City would be amazing in terms of proximity for me.

There is always talk on here about races going away and the community support or not. Atlantic City does not really support the 70.3.....that, in my opinion, is why Delmo had the course he had.
Although I think it's a great venue in terms of hotels and restaurants. etc....having 6000 athletes descend on that place for a weekend plus, the locals would lose their collective minds.

I know they do it over multiple days and I don't know the counts per race, but for IMAC, having 2500 athletes on a 3 loop bike course part of which is on an expressway open to traffic....was not great.

I hope it's true, and I hope they have another course in mind.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2brokenhips wrote:
Interestingly there were all sorts of speculation this weekend that Age Group Nationals would be back in Milwaukee, Des Moines or Omaha but not one mention of Atlantic City. At the awards ceremony Tim Yount asked the crowd how many liked the Milwaukee venue and most everyone's hands went up. He asked how many people didn't like it and not one hand went up. He seemed sort of shocked by the crowd's response. In retrospect, I find it odd that the question was asked and he did not announce the venue would be in Atlantic City since USAT obviously knew since it's on their website today. Personally, I thought the last three years in Milwaukee were great. The City opened their arms to the race, you could walk from almost any hotel to the race site and there were great food options. Curious as to those who have done Atlantic City 70.3 think of the venue.

I’m not surprised at the reaction. All the people there are the people that lined the location to begin with. I personally would love it elsewhere but that’s so I can have it within driving distance. No one who didn’t go like me was around to vote no
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 Atlantic City 2024? [Tribike53] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tribike53 wrote:

I’m not surprised at the reaction. All the people there are the people that lined the location to begin with. I personally would love it elsewhere but that’s so I can have it within driving distance. No one who didn’t go like me was around to vote no

That's true. I'm sure most people with long drives or flights to catch had already headed out. After an early wave race and having to stick around until 11:00 to get bikes, I headed out straight from there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done it in Milwaukee twice and I say this every time: awesome venue, great support, super fun city... But anyone who says the bike course is "championship" quality has a screw loose. There are portions that are pretty good, but I remember hitting some pretty bad cracks and barely missing some awful potholes.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The one rumor I heard was for NJ. I only heard it from one guy who didn't seem super knowledgeable about or plugged in to triathlon, so I was a little skeptical.

I'm mostly hoping it is not true and that's it back in Milwaukee again next year. NJ seems to have some legs though if it was on the USAT site briefly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
can someone remind me what the difference is between the age group national championship and the multisport national championship?

I saw the multisport is going to be in Omaha in 2024
https://www.usatriathlon.org/...ampionships-festival
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Age Group is Olympic and sprint non-draft. Multisport is aquabike, aquathon, draft-legal, etc.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A guy next to me in the sprint bike check-in line said he heard Jersey City. Guy from Manhattan next to us was trying to figure out the logistics on that one. I bet Atlantic City is what it actually was, but it got twisted like a game of Telephone:

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My concern with AC is the high possibility of a rumble on the promenade, especially since the Gambling Commission is hanging on by the skin of its teeth…

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it's in MKE, I'll likely go again next year. If it's in Atlantic City definitely not. I have to fly to both, but MKE is a really a great city for race logistics, visiting, etc.

Been to Atlantic City once. Don't need to go back again.
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 Atlantic City 2024? [vkanders] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did AC 70.3 last year, it was the worse race I ever did, the course is awful and the place is rough
A 3 loop draft fest in a highway with a live lane of traffic next to you then a run along the boardwalk roasting and avoiding homeless, drug addictions and drunk people
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 Atlantic City 2024? [pumaking] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Funny, it still looks like they want Milwaukee (according to the map)
Last edited by: TJ56: Aug 12, 23 10:22
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 Atlantic City 2024? [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
“Everything dies, baby, that's a fact”
- especially quality triathlons

But maybe everything that dies some day comes back“
- hopefully quality triathlons
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 Atlantic City 2024? [jonnyboy1000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Spot on! I was there last year and that is my feeling exactly. I finished that race thinking I don't want to do this sport again because of how bad it was.

I went to Maine this year and fell back in love with the sport even though the bike leg was the hardest 70.3 I ever did.

14X Ironman. Still slow but working on it.
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 Atlantic City 2024? [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But maybe everything that dies someday comes back
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 Atlantic City 2024? [JDugan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JDugan wrote:
But maybe everything that dies someday comes back

Ask the Chicken Man

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team