Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
IMWA to allow RELAY teams!!??!! Does this miss the point of an IM?
Quote | Reply
Just got this is in my inbox this am from the race organizers. I don't think ANY M-dot event worldwide has had relay teams before... I'm glad they'll be raising money for charity, but part of me wonders if it's missing the point of ironman...?

What say you all?
------------------------
" IMG is pleased to announce a new initiative at Ironman Western Australia - the John Maclean Foundation Ironman Teams Event. This event has been created to assist the Official Ironman Western Australia Charity, the John Maclean Foundation in raising funds and awareness for children who use wheelchairs.

In what will be a first for Ironman events worldwide, the teams event will be open to all triathletes, with teams made up of three people with each athlete required to do only one leg of the Ironman course, which consists of a 3.8km swim, 180km ride and a 42.2km run.

The John Maclean Foundation (JMF) is the charity of Hawaii Ironman Hall of Famer John Maclean. John was the first wheelchair athlete to complete the Hawaii Ironman and has since conquered the English Channel , the Sydney Olympics and most recently the Molokai Challenge.

JMF provides funding for young Australians under the age of 18 who use wheelchairs. Over the past three years, JMF has provided over $250,000 in funding for new wheelchairs, medical and surgical needs, computers, musical instruments and vehicles. The purpose of this funding is to improve the quality of life for these young Australians and to help them achieve their own goals.

John, who completed the entire Ironman Western Australia last year in a personal best time, will be making up a sporting celebrity team that will include four-time Australian (surf) Ironman Champion , Ky Hurst .

“The Ironman Western Australia team’s event is a fantastic opportunity for us to grow the foundation, while at the same time maintaining strong links with the sport where it all began for me” said John Maclean, founder of the charity and Ironman Hall of Fame legend.

“I’m hoping we can get plenty of teams participating in the race. It’s an opportunity for those athletes who may not have been able to participate in an Ironman event before, but have always wanted be a part of this amazing race.” said John.

Ironman Western Australia is in its second year after a successful inaugural event in 2004 and is based in the Western Australian seaside resort town of Busselton in the Margaret River region.

Online entries for the John Maclean Foundation Ironman Teams Event will be open from 30 September – 30 October 2005 on www.ironmanwa.com"

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Last edited by: AndyPants: Sep 23, 05 6:31
Quote Reply
Re: IMWA to allow RELAY teams!!??!! Does this miss the point of an IM? [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am disappointed, but not surprised. It was only a matter of time before this started.

-Jay
Quote Reply
Re: IMWA to allow RELAY teams!!??!! Does this miss the point of an IM? [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree Andy. Seems to dilute the event. Of course I don't understand relays at any race. If you want to do a swim race then do one, same with bike and run. What is the point of doing just a leg of a three legged race? Kind of like signing up for a marathon but stopping after mile 18.

I wonder what Mike Reilly says when they finish..."Congrats John Doe, you are a IronRelayMan!!". Whatever floats your boat I guess....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm sure there will be a lot of whiners here on ST but every local sprint anywhere allows relay teams so why be so bothered if an IM does? How does that affect any individual since they aren't racing in the team catagory.

I'd actually be very curious to see a world class swimmer and cyclist combine with one of the Kenyans to do an IM. I'd suspect they could probably go sub seven or better.
Quote Reply
Re: IMWA to allow RELAY teams!!??!! Does this miss the point of an IM? [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It would be pretty cool to see how fast the distances can be covered... and you're right, every other distance has relays so why not this distance. I guess I was just surprised by this, thought I'd never see it.

------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The million dollar question...will a relay finsher be the first to cross the line? Or will IM think about this, and stagger the starts. Let's ay you put together a team of ringers...it is quite conceivable that your team could "win" the overall race, and by that I mean have the first person to cross the line. That would be terrible.

Perhaps if they staggered the start, and had the relay guys start a hour back? That would be tough...I don't know how they'lldo this.

Could you imagine the embarassment if the runner from a relay team actually crossed the line before the first pro? Not embarassment to the pro, but to the event as a whole.

It's disappointing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Grand columbian had teams in both Iron and Half Iron. Only two takers in the Iron division. Roadkill did the course in 9:46 while the overall winner finished in 10:40 and change (its not an easy course). It allowed another Iron athlete to still compete when he developed Plantar Facisitis. He just got a runner to join the team.
Quote Reply
Re: IMWA to allow RELAY teams!!??!! Does this miss the point of an IM? [ironotter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't mind the relays, but I agree that it would be terrible to see a handful of marathoners cruising across the finish line 1/2 hour before the race winner. It's an Ironman TRIATHLON, that's what it's all about, the guy/girl who does all 3 the fastest should have the glory of crossing the line first....IMHO

Portside Athletics Blog
Quote Reply
Re: IMWA to allow RELAY teams!!??!! Does this miss the point of an IM? [GearGrinder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It usually seems that relays are not as fast as the pros. I think this is because the super fit people either do the whole race themselves or they are runners and only do running races, cyclists who just race other roadies, or swimmers...Basically you don't see a ringer relay too often.
Quote Reply
Re: IMWA to allow RELAY teams!!??!! Does this miss the point of an IM? [happyman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I am disappointed, but not surprised. It was only a matter of time before this started.

-Jay
i agree and find it a shame. it's this type of thing that has come to dominate the marathon scene. essentially it dilutes the sport in the name of charity. since i'm a purist--i don't like it.
Quote Reply
Re: IMWA to allow RELAY teams!!??!! Does this miss the point of an IM? [GearGrinder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i imagine the relays would be an all together different catagory, so it wouldn't even matter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Make them start 2 hours later in the day to get them outta the way and charge em double!

t~
Quote Reply
Re: IMWA to allow RELAY teams!!??!! Does this miss the point of an IM? [TriMike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am doing a relay half Ironman. I am looking forward to doing the bike leg. There aren't any 56 mile bike races out there, so this just looks like fun. You have to look pretty hard to find a comparable swim race too.

On the other hand, finding a half marathon is a piece of cake, so I don't really see the point for that leg.

I raced Alcatraz last year and my son and nephews did the relay. It was a fantastic family event. Oh, yes, I beat the young turks. Chalk one up for experience against youth.
Quote Reply
Re: IMWA to allow RELAY teams!!??!! Does this miss the point of an IM? [kittycat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sure they would be a different category and the would be announced as the "Relay Winner" and not the overall winner, I still just don't think they should get to break the tape first. Make them start at noon, they get 12 hours, sound fair?

Portside Athletics Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's a shame....as it cheapens the WTC brand and event/journey of becoming an "Ironman." But, based upon other changes in the past several years, it's all about making money now....so they can do whatever they want.

I hope a relay team gets padded and wins the event, I really do. 7:30 is realistic. Heck..maybe even 7:15!

Reminds me of 2002 when my girlfriend (at the time) and two of her friend's husbands (if that makes sense) raced against me at a 1/2. Got beat in the water, took the lead on the bike and then got PASSED by my girlfriend a mile from the finish. Little did she remember than the relays started 10 minutes prior. She was talking smack, smiling and walking like a peacock for 15 minutes before I let her on to the news.... A classic moment.
Quote Reply
Re: IMWA to allow RELAY teams!!??!! Does this miss the point of an IM? [SwBkRn44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
maybe i'm a hypocrit because for some reason the 1/2 IM relay doesn't bother me. heck i even though about relaying myself. but the magnitude of the IM is much greater and i just think the integrity of it should be kept in tact--without relays. so maybe this makes me a hypocrit. oh well.

but anyway--i think relays should have an entirely different finish chute--one where families can come into for the finisher's photos. :P
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll have to see what the longer term impact is, but I don't like it. There are plenty of non M-dot iron distance events that allow relays.

I hope they are either just experimenting to guage interest/reaction, or are doing this to draw more people to the event. If the latter is true, it might not spread too much since it seems like most the other M-dot iron events fill up quickly.
Quote Reply
Re: IMWA to allow RELAY teams!!??!! Does this miss the point of an IM? [klbarrus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think they are trying to up their numbers. They're just under 450 entries now. Keep in mind that this is a far far place to travel to unless you are in Oz or SE Asia (most isolated state capital in the world).

------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another reason why its stupid to get an Mdot tatoo. The wow effect of Ironman is wearing off rapidly.

You figure all these people that participate in one leg of the relay are going to "brag for a lifetime" about doing the Ironman.
Quote Reply
Re: IMWA to allow RELAY teams!!??!! Does this miss the point of an IM? [bshanberg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LOL, true... (although I am getting a nice small maple leaf tat post IMWA, because I am far more proud of being a Canuck than of finishing any race, even an IM one... like, should I get a tat saying I did completed a 100k ultra? bah, that's just crazy talk)

------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[reply]Just got this is in my inbox this am from the race organizers. I don't think ANY M-dot event worldwide has had relay teams before... I'm glad they'll be raising money for charity, but part of me wonders if it's missing the point of ironman...?

What say you all?[/reply]

I think it is smart, a way to continue to grow the sport. Many of those doing the relay will get the bug to do one themselves some day by watching you do yours. Look good and make them jealous.

Why on earth would you care? What are they taking away from your race or achievement? Nothing! They actually enhance what you do as an individual. And, they are trying to increase participation. It is good for the sport even though it ain't triathlon.

--------------
Frank,
An original Ironman and the Inventor of PowerCranks
Quote Reply
Re: IMWA to allow RELAY teams!!??!! Does this miss the point of an IM? [Diesel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
it cheapens the ... event/journey of becoming an "Ironman."

How?

You seriously feel like you accomplished less if a team was allowed to race at the same time? Others think you accomplished less because you got beat by a team? I don't get it.

Additionally, I doubt NA races would begin allowing teams because most (all?) fill up without allowing them.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Re: IMWA to allow RELAY teams!!??!! Does this miss the point of an IM? [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Additionally, I doubt NA races would begin allowing teams because most (all?) fill up without allowing them.

----I disagree. It's a moneymaking machine, and this is another way to make money. I think we'll see more and more of it. :(
Quote Reply
Re: IMWA to allow RELAY teams!!??!! Does this miss the point of an IM? [Frank Day] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't particularly care one way or the other, I thought it was a bit surprising that's all, as I was under the impression that the m-dot folks were dead against thins kind of thing.

I'm all for more people being inspired to get off their asses and get active, regardless of the activity they choose or how they choose to do it (competitively, recreationally, or slow-ass dawdlin'-ly). It doesn't bother me one lick.

------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong here, but didn't WTC dump Ironman Europe (now Quelle Challenge Roth) for 2 reasons, the first because the organisers refused to lump everyone into one wave, and the second because the organisers insisted on having relays, which the WTC said was verboten?

Now it seems WTC are allowing relays, while setting over 2000 of us marauding up the street at the same time in an 8-mile paceline. Maybe they're coming around to Roth's way of thinking?

Doug
Quote Reply

Prev Next