Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IMVR Expansion
Quote | Reply
I think the program needs to be expanded even after racing resumes. They need to make these full races for 70.3 Worlds and Kona slots.

Swims need to be mandatory out and backs. One way current or wind assisted swims should be disqualified.

I think they have the bike part right, with the exception of people cheating.

The run is tough, because I live in an area that is very hilly. As well, it is insanely hot. We already hit 103F on the heat index in early June. I think there needs to be a weighted index for both elevation and temperature (including humidity) for points allocation.

Either way, I think VR should be expanded. It could open windows for new participants and also it should remain free to keep people involved.

The number of races should also increase since their cap on participants is going to decrease with spacing requirements.
Quote Reply
Re: IMVR Expansion [mwanner13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mwanner13 wrote:
I think the program needs to be expanded even after racing resumes. They need to make these full races for 70.3 Worlds and Kona slots.

Swims need to be mandatory out and backs. One way current or wind assisted swims should be disqualified.

The run is tough, because I live in an area that is very hilly. As well, it is insanely hot. We already hit 103F on the heat index in early June. I think there needs to be a weighted index for both elevation and temperature (including humidity) for points allocation.

Either way, I think VR should be expanded. It could open windows for new participants and also it should remain free to keep people involved.

The number of races should also increase since their cap on participants is going to decrease with spacing requirements.

I haven't participated myself, but from the sounds of it, it's already hard enough to stop people cheating on the bike. Trying to have a fair swim would be a nightmare. You can't really do a pool swim because it was be easy enough to set your watch for a 50m pool and swim in a 25m pool. If you are forced to swim in open water that cuts a massive amount of people out. If you need to do an out and back are you going to have people swimming 1.9km into the ocean and then back? That could be extremely dangerous. If Kona spots are up for grabs, some people would do what it takes, i'm sure some would be wearing flippers. There are so many things that would need to be controlled to make this fair that I can't see this working.

It is a great idea though for people who can't easily get to a race or don't wan to spend $$$. Definitely an idea they could keep going (and looking at how to improve) as there will be more and more of this type of racing in the future, but I don't think you should get a Kona spot as there are so many dubious results.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mwanner13 wrote:

Ok, that made me laugh.

There is no way to police the swim, as the other poster stated. Paddles, flippers, you name it. people will cheat.
I think the VR series is neat, but should just lead to VR championships, not as qualifiers for real, outdoor triathlons.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some people will always cheat, be it in VR or real race.
It would be a nice requirement for participants to make their actual workout files public.
Would be fun to watch.
Even without that requirement the results are fun to watch. Some people moved from 45' real life 10k runners to 35' VR 10k runners in a couple of weeks time. Impressive! Maybe these people switched to Nike VF Next% ;-)
Sam
Quote Reply
Re: IMVR Expansion [sgy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Perhaps one way would be signing with possibility of a 1 year ban for false results and random verification testing similar to drug testing. We can't rely only on physical qualifying at least for the next 12 months and the world is moving towards virtual and electronic.

In period prior to actual race up to x% of Kona and wc70. 3 qualifiers might be asked to do a videoed benchmark baseline swim bike or run with peer review, also possible week prior to the actual race some ppl asked to demonstrate their qualifier time is realistic. Doesn't have to be the full amount just use an algorithm if they swim 1km at xx pace is enough to project. Likewise 20km bike or 5km run. Can do as a group. Also threat of actual race results being wildly different than qualifying time without reason (no flats etc). Where clearly someone used a mule, course cut or electronically doped they can't race and face a ban.

Threat alone might be enough. The marathon investigation guy could probably provide some good guidance on this stuff.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am all for the VR races, its a fun way to get 'out' and race a bit, put the hammer down. I've had two good weekends of pushing myself that I likely wouldnt have if just training. And its fun to try something new, and see where I stack up. Though I've been consistent it has shown I need to find a bit more pep in my 10k step!

I also agree that this is a great way to get more people into the sport but do not think it is a fair way to award WC slots. I just dont see people being honest about their times. I'd say.... maybe one does 5-10 vritual races and if placed well at the end of that series you get a free or reduced entry into a 'local' 70.3/140.6 race. That seems much more fair, remove the high cost of entry to the race itself but still let everyone be judged on the same course/day for a WC slot.

In my AG results there are a few names that when you look at past/other results their time quarantine must have been/be very, very good for their training. Part of the equity in slot allocation at actual races is that you know that everyone there races the same course, in the same conditions at the same time. No one gaming the watt/kg... it just doesnt matter, you weigh what you weigh... no one swimming with fins..... or did someone get to run on a track versus having to run 'in town'.

Personaly, I'm treating these races as fun, a good test in an otherwise bleak race season, and looking forward to when 'real' racing resumes.

2024: IM Hamburg
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have done all of the IMVR races except for 2 where I didn't do the final run. I've done the first 2 of the championship series as well. If you look at the competition rules https://oly-one-product.s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/...ompetition+Rules.pdf, they have already included a section for swim rules (but indicated that they do not apply when a run is substituted). I suspect they may implement a swim component at some point. The rules are clear no fins, pull buoys, paddles, etc... Not sure how they will enforce but if they have access to your prior garmin files, they can compare and look for discrepancies. They have indicated that they will be checking these VR performances against prior performances. They have also indicated that if they catch you cheating they can ban you from all WTC races for quite a while. Currently, they can require a witness for the run (who might have to sign an affidavit under penalties of perjury).
Quote Reply
Re: IMVR Expansion [sgy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So flag them up, send an email to Ironman. Hopefully they demonstrate the times are legit (which should be easy for anyone finishing in the top of these races) OR they are removed. Mystery option 3 is that they expand on their lie...

ironmanvr@ironman.com

2024: IM Hamburg
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My girlfriend did the sprint before all the rules got put in place. She has a dumb elite trainer though. I have a kickr.

I won't be doing any of these things, I've thought about it, but other than it just being a great tough training session it's near impossible, especially if we're talking a swim.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree, I've had fun doing some of these virtual races during the pandemic.

Why not invite the top point-getters from the VR races compete in a RL tri, with spots to worlds up for grabs at that race? The VR races earn points to the VR Championship, which is not a VR tri but an actual swim-bike-run with everyone at the same place doing the same course, and then give the top finisher in each AG a spot at worlds?
Quote Reply
Re: IMVR Expansion [xcrogers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
xcrogers wrote:
So flag them up, send an email to Ironman. Hopefully they demonstrate the times are legit (which should be easy for anyone finishing in the top of these races) OR they are removed. Mystery option 3 is that they expand on their lie...

ironmanvr@ironman.com

+1

They are really receptive to new data, help, and advice so far. They've talked about how outside tips have gotten a few people wiped from results already. If you suspect someone is cheating definitely send that email. And if they can prove their times all the better.

Too old to go pro but doing it anyway
http://instagram.com/tgarvey4
Quote Reply