Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IMTX Host City FAQ
Quote | Reply
Iā€™m a local to The Woodlands area and an IMTX finisher, although taking this year off. Wanted to provide some, hopefully, useful information on things around The Woodlands:

- Great Pools for pre race swims: YMCA Shadowbend, Villa Sport, Magnolia Natatorium (check the schedule first).
- Running: There are miles and miles of paved sidewalks through The Woodlands. I recommend to Park at The Woodlands Mall and run along the waterway.
- Openwater Swim: i would NOT recommend the Pre Race, open water swim in Lake woodlands. You can get sick from the metric ton of Duck Poop in the stagnant lake. Iā€™m really not joking, I had two friends in 2017 get sick the night before the race because of this. Make the trip up to Lake Conroe Recreational Area and do an open water swim there.
- Cycling on the road: there is really no way to ride the bike course beforehand because itā€™s a highway. Try out ā€œWoodlane,ā€ itā€™s a neighborhood near the intersection of FM2978 and Woodlands Parkway. Great 6 and 9 mile loops.
- Great Restaurants: Pizza- Grimaldiā€™s & Crust Pizza Burger- Fieldings & Grub Burger, Tex-Mex- Lupe Tortilla, Papasitos, & Guadalajara, Vegan / Clean Eating - flower child & true food kitchen, breakfast / brunch - Snooze & Hubbell and Hudson Kitchen
- Local bike shops: Bike Lane & Bike World
- Activities for the family: North Shore Park, Market Street, Childrenā€™s Museum, Paddle Boarding and Kayak on Lake Woodlands.
Grocery Stores: HEB- this is an amazing grocery store w/ great selection of food, including organics and Vegan selection. Whole Foods, Trader Joeā€™s.

Hope this helps! Feel free to respond back with any other questions and Iā€™ll try to get them answered.
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX Host City FAQ [Ankles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I did the race in 2017, it was obvious the area was growing rapidly. How long do you think they will keep it there before it inevitably has to move?
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX Host City FAQ [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Raced it last year - but wanted to say thank you for putting this together.

Also - great recommendation on True Food. Did not know there was one in the Woodlands area - fell in love with their stuff when traveling to Austin, and am lucky to have one just open here in Jacksonville, Florida.

Good recommendation on Lake Conroe also - checked it out last year and was glad I skipped the practice swim just from a parking logistics aspect of being in race village.

IG: NCGregory8778
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ankles wrote:
Iā€™m a local to The Woodlands area and an IMTX finisher, although taking this year off. Wanted to provide some, hopefully, useful information on things around The Woodlands:

- Great Pools for pre race swims: YMCA Shadowbend, Villa Sport, Magnolia Natatorium (check the schedule first).

- Openwater Swim: i would NOT recommend the Pre Race, open water swim in Lake woodlands. You can get sick from the metric ton of Duck Poop in the stagnant lake. Iā€™m really not joking, I had two friends in 2017 get sick the night before the race because of this. Make the trip up to Lake Conroe Recreational Area and do an open water swim there.

Hope this helps! Feel free to respond back with any other questions and Iā€™ll try to get them answered.

Probably worth mentioning the largest and easiest to access pool that also happens to the be close to the race site, the CISD Natatorium. Drop in swim is about 5 bucks.

The whole 'lake will make you sick' thing is a wives tale. Anyone who gets sick or has a tummy ache blames the water. There's been races every year in the lake for over 15 years and I've not heard of a single documented case. The water is tested regularly. It's muddy for sure though. This is no Ironman Cozumel swim.

Badig| Strava

Quote Reply
Re: IMTX Host City FAQ [tjfry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So I've been bathing in this lake everyday for ten years. Can somebody PLEASE tell me how you tell the difference between duck poop and the muddy bottom?
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX Host City FAQ [mjbruiser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mjbruiser wrote:
So I've been bathing in this lake everyday for ten years. Can somebody PLEASE tell me how you tell the difference between duck poop and the muddy bottom?

The duck poop has a milder flavor, almost like a fresh hummus. The mud is just gross.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where do you park/start the swim in lake conroe?

ā€”
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX Host City FAQ [JanneK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Its Lake Conroe Park - 14968 TX-105, Montgomery, TX 77356

It used to be $2-5 / car to get in the lake. Two separate swimming areas.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks, this is great. I was planning a post to ask about where to ride.

Can you comment on race morning logistics? Do you have to hike the mile to the swim start after setting up your bike?

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX Host City FAQ [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am dropped off near transition, setup my bike and walk the mile to the swim start. Everyone walks the mile pretty much.
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX Host City FAQ [DesertTriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. It actually sounds like a fairly decent warmup. But it's also a pretty big time commitment, I think it should at least be mentioned in the athletes guide.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
@CCF - In 2017, you did have to hike from your bike. It is a straight shot, and there are massive crowds of people doing the same thing. You could have someone drive you, but it may be more hassle than it's worth.

USE THE RESTROOM AT THE BIKE AREA. When you get to the swim start the lines are really long.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the Woodlawn bike tip. Was out there today, well worth the drive. This is my 3rd year here and experienced nothing but sh** trying to get my rides in the years prior. Last year I drove about 45 minutes to what seemed to be a completely quiet and scenic barely two lane road. Speed limit was around 30mph. Was really enjoying it until I got buzzed by a literal flatbed semi 18 wheeler out of nowhere doing at least 50mph. Scared the daylight out of me! The trucks around here are ridiculous I must say.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tjfry wrote:

Probably worth mentioning the largest and easiest to access pool that also happens to the be close to the race site, the CISD Natatorium. Drop in swim is about 5 bucks.

I swam there today. Very nice facility. Actually felt bad that I wasn't doing a longer swim. Then I did a run around the giant parking lot per a suggestion in another thread by @logella.

Is there anywhere around here to run on pavement? I'm not sure I've seen a foot of asphalt since I arrived. I know the race is basically all concrete, but I always feel concrete beats me up a lot and I'd like to start the race feeling good.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ankles wrote:

- Running: There are miles and miles of paved sidewalks through The Woodlands. I recommend to Park at The Woodlands Mall and run along the waterway.
- Cycling on the road: there is really no way to ride the bike course beforehand because itā€™s a highway. Try out ā€œWoodlane,ā€ itā€™s a neighborhood near the intersection of FM2978 and Woodlands Parkway. Great 6 and 9 mile loops.
- Great Restaurants: Pizza- Grimaldiā€™s & Crust Pizza Burger- Fieldings & Grub Burger, Tex-Mex- Lupe Tortilla, Papasitos, & Guadalajara, Vegan / Clean Eating - flower child & true food kitchen, breakfast / brunch - Snooze & Hubbell and Hudson Kitchen
- Local bike shops: Bike Lane & Bike World
- Activities for the family: North Shore Park, Market Street, Childrenā€™s Museum, Paddle Boarding and Kayak on Lake Woodlands.
Grocery Stores: HEB- this is an amazing grocery store w/ great selection of food, including organics and Vegan selection. Whole Foods, Trader Joeā€™s.

If anyone is looking to swim tomorrow (Thursday) deboer wetsuits has rented 3 lanes of a 25y pool at VillaSports in The Woodlands from 11AM - 3PM. I don't want to hijack this thread, but if anyone's interested it's free for you to swim in the lanes we've rented. We have select sizes wetsuits that you can demo as well if you like, but there's no obligation if you just want to get in your pre-race swim.

(I work for deboer wetsuits)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CCF wrote:
tjfry wrote:

I swam there today. Very nice facility. Actually felt bad that I wasn't doing a longer swim. Then I did a run around the giant parking lot per a suggestion in another thread by @logella.

Is there anywhere around here to run on pavement? I'm not sure I've seen a foot of asphalt since I arrived. I know the race is basically all concrete, but I always feel concrete beats me up a lot and I'd like to start the race feeling good.

Millbend loop is about 5k of asphalt. About 1 mile south of transition. Map search ā€˜North Millbendā€™ . Just east of Groganā€™s Mill and south of woodlands parkway. Itā€™s a well funded area so most roads are concrete.

Badig| Strava

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tjfry wrote:

Millbend loop is about 5k of asphalt. About 1 mile south of transition. Map search ā€˜North Millbendā€™ . Just east of Groganā€™s Mill and south of woodlands parkway. Itā€™s a well funded area so most roads are concrete.

I ran there yesterday; quite nice. Thanks for the tip.

Any comments on parking? It seems like a bit of a cluster today at bike drop off. I asked a cop and he just shrugged. There seemed to be a garage on the other side of Lake Robbin's Road (other side vs. transition, that is), between transition and the finish area. Also looks like there's a garage in the Woods Pavilion. The guy manning the entrance said they'd be open in the morning, but I'm a little suspicious because it's on the bike course. Maybe Six Pines doesn't close until 7am, though.

There was also a big (BIG) completely empty lot almost right across Lake Robbins, just east of the movie theater. I couldn't figure out what was going on there.

Thanks

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just wanted to thank you for this thread. Ken at the Bike Lane was awesome to me and helped me do a once over of my bike for no charge. I also went up to Lake Conroe and they didn't even charge me to get in. This was an awesome thread to have when traveling to the Woodlands. Thank you again for putting this together.

Team Zoot 2023
Quote Reply