Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IMTX- Ask Me Anything [matthansontri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
matthansontri wrote:
I just went back and looked at the last 6 months...I averaged 50 miles of running per week with a low of 35 miles and high of 70 miles.

synthetic wrote:
So all your training run miles are at sub 6 min pace? How many now?

But all the miles 6:00/mile or better?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
matthansontri wrote:

I had 3 bottles: one between my arms, and aero bottle on the frame, and a bottle behind the saddle. I start out with 500 calories in the bottle between my arms, then have the rest split between the other two bottles. I take 1/2 of the BTA bottle before the first aid station, then fill that with water to get it back to optimal osmolity. The rest of the day I mix the other two bottles in BTA bottle with water I get from the course. I'm also typically trying to get as much water as I can in me as I go through the aid stations as well. Target for hot races is 3 bottles of fluid an hour...I managed about 2.25 this race.

thanks a lot for sharing that info matt. its awesome to see nutrition plans for pros! def helps us rookies out!

just out of curiosity, why a aero bottle on your downtube and one behind the seat? bike balance?

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Last edited by: damon.lebeouf: May 2, 18 9:44
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX- Ask Me Anything [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, I've been trying to slow my aerobic miles down a little. Usually they are between 6:15 and 6:25 now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Missouri Valley College
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
matthansontri wrote:
No, I've been trying to slow my aerobic miles down a little. Usually they are between 6:15 and 6:25 now.

Most of this on treadmill, track, roads ? I tried to keep those paces 90% on treadmill one month but then got burnt out. I see Sanders does much of his work on the TM, wondering if most pros are doing similar . It is easier to sustain forced into it imo.
Last edited by: synthetic: May 2, 18 15:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Matt I think your performance was in incredible. Your run split is what we should be celebrating, not your finish time. Although this didn't take long and is part of the problem.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
matthansontri wrote:

Most of this on treadmill, track, roads ? I tried to keep those paces 90% on treadmill one month but then got burnt out. I see Sanders does much of his work on the TM, wondering if most pros are doing similar . It is easier to sustain forced into it imo.

I run on the treadmill if the sidewalks are icy typically and a few treadmil specific sessions (where I want to control incline, etc). If the roads are clear I try to get out and run outside as much as I can. The treadmill is a great tool, but it can also become a crutch just like erg mode on the trainer. Very easy just to zone out and not focus on what you need to do to hold a specific pace. I do a lot of tready over the winter, very little during the spring through fall.
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX- Ask Me Anything [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm sorry you feel that this is a problem.

QR has been in my corner for 4 years now...sometimes I've given them a good result, other races I haven't. They have been an amazing supporter regardless of the results I have put out. I'll never forget their response to me after I crashed in Kona in 2015..My pro rep sprinting over to me with a broken foot as I'm picking myself up off the ground, helping calm my wife and family, going above and beyond to make sure I had a frame as quickly as possible so I could get back to training, and just genuinely caring about how recovery was going. They took a gamble on me when I signed with them in 2015, and it has turned out to be an amazing partnership ever since. I am sincerely grateful to be a part of their team.

Sponsorship is all about return of investment. I put together a great race (more than just a good run as you said). You are certainly entitled to your opinion about the overall record, that doesn't bother me at all. But the fact of the matter is that Ironman accepted it as a record, so to think that the sponsors who have invested in me should not promote it is completely ridiculous.

Bryancd wrote:
Matt I think your performance was in incredible. Your run split is what we should be celebrating, not your finish time. Although this didn't take long and is part of the problem.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To get all those calories into 3 bottles you must have to make a super concentrated mix. I’ve been using Liquid Shot for a long time and have considered switching to EFS-Pro cause they recommend it for hot races. I like how with LS I can get all my bike calories into one bottle, but with EFS-Pro I’d have to use like six bottles to get the calories (at least with what FE recommends for concentrations). Would you say EFS-Pro is generally better anyway? What are your thoughts between the two?
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX- Ask Me Anything [Kevina654] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, I make one at 500 calories and then mix the remaining calories between two bottles. The other two bottles don't blend well, but the bumps on the road continually shake up the bottles, so as soon as I dump some in the BTA bottle along with water it is good to go.

The EFSpro is good for hot conditions. I also have a fairly high salt concentration in my sweat, so I tend to use EFSpro for most of my calories on race day. IMTX was the first time I'd used a blend of EFS and liquid shot in one of my bottles due to the cooler temps. In training, I have been using EFS primarily in my bottles for anything under 3 hours. Longer rides/runs, I am continually trying to perfect my long course nutrition race strategy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats on a great race!

Ok, I want to continue the discussion of EFS / EFS pro/ EFS liquid shot if that's ok.

I have had great success with just using liquid shot in HIM. 2 flasks during bike and 1 during run. I use EFS during training mostly.

I am doing a full IM this year and trying to figure out my nutrition plan. Is liquid shot something that I could use for the whole race? Equivalent of 4-5 flasks on bike (in regular bottle) then 1-2 on run? I've got a good setup for carrying 3 regular bottles that I've aero tested so want to stick with that. In the case of using liquid shot, 1 bottle would be liquid shot and the others just water to be swapped out.

Other option would be to use EFS or EFS pro on bike and plan on picking up 3 more bottles at special needs. Thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX- Ask Me Anything [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use EFSpro typically and get 2000 calories in 3 bottles and just use my BTA bottle as a mix. So it can definitely be done without the special needs stop.

Regarding EFS liquid shot...yes, you can definitely get your calories that way. However the electrolyte content could be light if you go that rough, especially if it is a hot/humid day. Weather is something you definitely need to take into consideration. If you want to go that route as your calorie method, you might need a plan for additional electrolytes if you catch a less than perfect weather day.

Sean H wrote:
Congrats on a great race!

Ok, I want to continue the discussion of EFS / EFS pro/ EFS liquid shot if that's ok.

I have had great success with just using liquid shot in HIM. 2 flasks during bike and 1 during run. I use EFS during training mostly.

I am doing a full IM this year and trying to figure out my nutrition plan. Is liquid shot something that I could use for the whole race? Equivalent of 4-5 flasks on bike (in regular bottle) then 1-2 on run? I've got a good setup for carrying 3 regular bottles that I've aero tested so want to stick with that. In the case of using liquid shot, 1 bottle would be liquid shot and the others just water to be swapped out.

Other option would be to use EFS or EFS pro on bike and plan on picking up 3 more bottles at special needs. Thoughts?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Matt, congrats on a amazing race and setting the IM record! Looking forward to seeing you defend it again next yr. Good luck to you in Kona, we'll be cheering you on from The Woodlands.

Question for you, I'm a 44 yr old AG with a wife and two kids. So training needs to be done in the AM around 4-5 times a week. I'm trying to go sub5 in my next HIM race and I'm wondering how much focus you put on bricks and simulating an actual race? I've been training with bike/run intervals building up to a 50 mile bike then a 11.6 mile run. What's been your take on bricks? Do you have any tips you can provide to run strong off the bike?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX- Ask Me Anything [Zic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tough question and really come down to training philosophy. Personally, I MIGHT have a few of my athletes do 1 workout like that...but not likely. When you get into the tail end of workouts like that you just start to lose the ability to adapt. Plus the recovery from that is most definitely going to affect the next week of workouts, so there just isn't a huge upside to that in my opinion. In my last build, I only did one brick run of over 7 miles outside of the 70.3s I raced leading to Texas. The best way to run strong off the bike is to 1) fuel well on the bike and 2) be a strong runner. IMO, it is tough to build run strength when you are starting a run tired. You definitely need to do a few bricks, maybe on longer one...but I think time could be better spent than during a long run off your long bike every week. To me, a brick does a good job of showing you how well you have your bike nutrition dialed in. That is their number one purpose in my mind. If you can't run 30 minutes with just water off a longer bike, you didn't fuel well enough on the bike. But going beyond 30 minutes just isn't that necessary many times in a build.

Again, you'll find a lot of coaches who will differ. Your situation might be slightly different due to time constraints, but if you have the ability to do a long bike/short run on saturday and a longer run on sunday, than time would be better spent that way than doing longer bricks. You would likely be able to be more effective with your shorter week day workouts as well.

Best of luck.

Zic wrote:
Matt, congrats on a amazing race and setting the IM record! Looking forward to seeing you defend it again next yr. Good luck to you in Kona, we'll be cheering you on from The Woodlands.

Question for you, I'm a 44 yr old AG with a wife and two kids. So training needs to be done in the AM around 4-5 times a week. I'm trying to go sub5 in my next HIM race and I'm wondering how much focus you put on bricks and simulating an actual race? I've been training with bike/run intervals building up to a 50 mile bike then a 11.6 mile run. What's been your take on bricks? Do you have any tips you can provide to run strong off the bike?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Matt,
Do you worry about digging that deep in a race and how it will affect the rest of your season? (And for that matter, your career)

I always wonder how many times a person can go that hard for that long and not have it negatively affect your body.

Is it something you've talked to your coaches about?

"Good genes are not a requirement, just the obsession to beat ones brains out daily"...the Griz
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX- Ask Me Anything [stringcheese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No this isn't something I worry about at all. Actually, races like this are what I need to extend my career not the other way round. If I would have had an average day and got say 5-10th, I would have had to extend the build and race another full between now and Kona. That would do much more damage to the body and my career IMO. By having the race go really well, I was able to get the job done in just 1 full. Two builds a year with one full in each build is not a problem.

Obviously winning this race puts me in control of the rest of my season. I can race where and when I want and not where/when I have to for points. Much less mental and physical stress.

stringcheese wrote:
Matt,
Do you worry about digging that deep in a race and how it will affect the rest of your season? (And for that matter, your career)

I always wonder how many times a person can go that hard for that long and not have it negatively affect your body.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
matthansontri wrote:
No this isn't something I worry about at all. Actually, races like this are what I need to extend my career not the other way round. If I would have had an average day and got say 5-10th, I would have had to extend the build and race another full between now and Kona. That would do much more damage to the body and my career IMO. By having the race go really well, I was able to get the job done in just 1 full. Two builds a year with one full in each build is not a problem.

Obviously winning this race puts me in control of the rest of my season. I can race where and when I want and not where/when I have to for points. Much less mental and physical stress.

stringcheese wrote:
Matt,

Makes sense. Thanks for the response.
Good luck with the rest of the year. IA is pulling for you...

"Good genes are not a requirement, just the obsession to beat ones brains out daily"...the Griz
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX- Ask Me Anything [stringcheese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stringcheese wrote:
matthansontri wrote:

stringcheese wrote:
Matt,

Makes sense. Thanks for the response.
Good luck with the rest of the year. IA is pulling for you...

I love telling people I know that live in Storm Lake & NW Iowa that they have a resident professional triathlete in their community.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Matt,

Congrats on the race, and especially on that incredible run!

Kind of a silly question on calf sleeves. I saw you wore them on the run and not on the bike. Do you feel they help on the run, and what is your technique for getting them onto sweaty legs? Pre-rolling?

I prefer running in compression socks during longer runs, but feel they would be a lot harder getting on than sleeves when the legs are wet.

Thanks!!

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX- Ask Me Anything [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If it is a wetsuit legal swim, I'll wear the calf sleeves the entire time....Can't wear them in the swim without a wetsuit. I don't want to put them on in T1 because the 20 seconds it takes can be the difference of missing or making a group.

I've never had an issue putting the sleeves on in T2. I just fold them back 1/2 way, then pull them on and roll them up. The compression socks are going to retain a lot more heat and take longer to put on and you'd probably have a tougher time making sure there are no wrinkles in the feet that can cause blisters IMO.

natethomas wrote:
Matt,

Congrats on the race, and especially on that incredible run!

Kind of a silly question on calf sleeves. I saw you wore them on the run and not on the bike. Do you feel they help on the run, and what is your technique for getting them onto sweaty legs? Pre-rolling?

I prefer running in compression socks during longer runs, but feel they would be a lot harder getting on than sleeves when the legs are wet.

Thanks!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What benefit do you get from wearing the calf sleeves?
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX- Ask Me Anything [mdtrihard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are a number of benefits that have been shown through research for wearing compression sleeves during long distance races in terms of reducing perceived fatigue, venus return, lymphatic drainage, etc. These studies are well designed for the most part, so I think the data is valid. I haven't done any of the test on myself specifically though. At the end of the day, it feels better to wear them, so I do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Matt, How’s the recovery going?

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK, since no one else has asked, can you tell us a bit about your swim training??? I know you swam with Tim's group at Magnolia Masters for several weeks each winter for a few yrs, but what about the other 90% of the year??? Does Tim send you workouts??? Do you swim alone or with a Masters group??? How many yd per week typically??? What do you think you could do for an all out 500, 1000, and/or 1650??? Always curious about how you top guys train. :) Thanks!!!

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
matthansontri wrote:
There are a number of benefits that have been shown through research for wearing compression sleeves during long distance races in terms of reducing perceived fatigue, venus return, lymphatic drainage, etc. These studies are well designed for the most part, so I think the data is valid. I haven't done any of the test on myself specifically though. At the end of the day, it feels better to wear them, so I do.

How often do you wear them in training?

Thanks again Matt! I'll be cheering you on from my computer In October from West Michigan.
Quote Reply

Prev Next