Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IMNZ, a spectators view
Quote | Reply
Well, I didn't do IMNZ this year and thank god for that! What a horrible day.

The swim was about as wet for the spectators as it was for the competitors. Solid rain. Not lashing, but not drizzling either. Just good old, constant rain. Spectators quickly scurried into every available cafe and food outlet to seek cover.

Back out into the rain to watch the bike start. Still raining, but with increasing intensity. There were less crashes on the corners in town, so I suspect they got better warning than in previous wet years. Taupo has a new bypass onthe outskirts of town so the roads in the central area were able to be closed down. This seemed to help with allowing more room for competitors to get their bike legs without crashing at kilometer 0.5.

It rained the whole time of the bike, but thankfully very little wind to speak of. What wind there was, was from the north. This is the ideal direction for this arguably N-S double out and back bike course. There is a long gentle downhill near the beginning or each loop and that wouldn't have been much fun in the rain and slight headwind. I couldn't believe how many riders weren't wearing or even carrying eye protection/sunnies. That must have been a nightmare.

About noon, me and a fellow past IMNZ competitor thought better of it and hit a pub on the sidelines. Unfortunately, we sheltered under a beer umbrella, wearing goretex jackets and holding secondary umbrellas, we still got soaked to the bone. Our feet were in 2" deep puddles/water running down the sidewalk! FARK!!!!

The rain slowed to drizzle, but only long enough to raise hour hopes. Then, you guessed it, back to rain. WTF????

The run was constantly in the rain with me and my buddy cheering on pro's and friends. Not just to be good spectators, but to try and generate some heat in the cold rain.

Cameron Brown romped away with the win as expected. We predicted this starting about 1/2 way on the bike when he was only about 2 min out of the lead. Once on the run there was never any doubt. There was no-one near Cams running prowess in the race so he just smashed out another fast marathon to pull away from the crowd of hopefuls in the ever increasing distance. He didn't set a record but he was never pushed, so not a surprise.

In the womens race, it was another story. Coming off the bike, it was surprising not to see Jo Lawn (perenial womans winner) in or near the lead. Sam Warriner, stepping up from ITU racing, to 70.3 and now the full distance event, had a good lead. What was up? Jo had flatted and took over 20 minutes to change her tire. Why pro's still race on tubbies I will never know. Just the other day on my commute to work, I had a flat rear tire. I had to remove panniers etc, and change the tire in the dark (early morning commute for me). Taking my time to do it right the first time, I still managed to be back on my bike in 6:40 and that's using a pump, not CO2. If Jo had clinchers, she would have saved about 15 minutes and WON the race. She didn't lose the race because she flatted, she lost the race because she couldn't remove a tubbie. To me, that is just plain embarrassing. Yeah I know it was cold and wet, but it was cold and wet for my early moring tire change too. She trains the swim, trains on the bike and running too. She probably even practices transitions to be as fast as possible. To NOT practice changing tires and other basic maintenance that can easily be done on the side of the road is just not acceptable IMHO. She should consider herself lucky that she hasn't flatted in any of her previous races. She closed the gap to Sam Warriner but Sam paced herself perfectly to win by enough that it wasn't in doubt, but didn't work any harder than she actually needed to. Congratulation to her on her first win in what I think is her first IM. Well done Sam.

I watched my pro and amateur friends finish, but didn't stay to the end. It was just too miserable for that. Thanks to sitting in a pub all day (we snuck inside during the run leg) I woke with a roaring hangover. Not ideal but better than a week of post IM shuffle. I don't feel as good about myself however, so might have to enter something soon to prove I'm still worthy. :-)

Congrats to everyone who even started the race.Double congrats to those that finished. I heard rumour they had their lowest finishing percentage ever, with 58 (I think) DNF's this year.

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Re: IMNZ, a spectators view [tridork] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're right about the dnfs, I counted every one of them on the results sheet inside the GLC on Sunday. 58 dnfs and a DQ - heard it was a sub 12 guy who ran his 5 year-old son down the finish chute.

I was one of those without eye protection and I'll tell you why. I left my clear cycling glasses at home and got my husband to bring them down on Friday pm but he arrived after I'd handed my bags in so I decided to put them in my bento box on race morning.

By the time I got into T1 (after my fastest swim) and on the bike they were wet, I had no way of drying them and clearing the lenses, because my clothes were already soaked, so I carried them in my back pocket. Only really needed them coming off the speedway hill when the rain was hard and I had to squint. Decided that being able to see clearly for the majority of the ride was better than not being able to see clearly at all.

All support was much appreciated on race day and I know how hard it can be when the weather is okay (I supported last year).

And totally agree re practicing for punctures, just because it's never happened in a race doesn't mean it never will.
Quote Reply
Re: IMNZ, a spectators view [tridork] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

All this talk of 17 minutes to change a tyre is a crock of shit - the split was 17 after the puncture but she was already over 10 mins down when she punctured, this blew out to 17 minutes at the biggest split - which I'm guessing was just after the puncture, and then she pulled it back to about 12/13 after the puncture coming into T2 in the groupetto.

I have it on very good authority from Steve at Sportzhub who was with her at the time taking photos that it was approx 4 minutes (it may of seemed like 17 to Jo?!).
Quote Reply
Re: IMNZ, a spectators view [Salmon Steve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carfrae had two punctures, only carried one spare, apparently. Lost approx 15 minutes all up.

I would not have wanted to be a spectator on Saturday - i was glad I was slogging it out on the course..!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good luck in Kona to your family. Hope you can get the result you aim for. Good to see Sam putting 2mins into Cafrae in the swim. Anyone woman who can beat Chrissy Wellington in an Ironman deserves 110grand.

G.

http://www.TriathlonShots.com
Full event coverage of triathlon/ironman in photos.

Quote Reply
Re: IMNZ, a spectators view [NAB777] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I've edited this as according to 'Steno' I've been mis informed...

. She dropped her spare on lap 1, didn't go back for it. And then punctured on lap 2 and subsequently fixed the wheel herself with a tube from the TO?) . She started on a disc and finished on a deep section if you look at the images....
Last edited by: Salmon Steve: Mar 9, 11 0:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is that allowed in the rules? At Kona they carry a few spare wheels for the pro's.

http://www.TriathlonShots.com
Full event coverage of triathlon/ironman in photos.

Quote Reply
Re: IMNZ, a spectators view [triathlonshots] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's allowed if you take it from TO's or race officials, not other competitors.

http://www.firstoffthebike.com/...ae-when-it-goes-flat

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Steve.... Incorrect on your correction.

The wheel was not from the other competitor... How do I know this? I was staying with and have been coached by the guy taking the photo's for years...
Quote Reply
Re: IMNZ, a spectators view [Steno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I stand corrected - did she change it whilst wearing a blanket? :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought she's riding 650's - the other guy would def. have 700's. Or did she change to 700's on the Felt? At bike check-in it def. looked like 650's on Mirinda's Felt.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Salmon Steve wrote:
It's allowed if you take it from TO's or race officials, not other competitors.

http://www.firstoffthebike.com/...ae-when-it-goes-flat

Is that the same rule for Kona? Just wondering about when Rebekah Keat gave Chrissie a CO2 canister when she flatted?
Or do you just mean taking wheels from other competitors not anything?
Last edited by: bigjo_NZ: Mar 9, 11 1:08
Quote Reply