Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IMMT Banquet
Quote | Reply
I’m a first time IM triathlete and knew that IMMT has a banquet you can attend but didn’t look into it too much until now. Now, tickets are sold out for extra guests, and I don’t know what to do. Is it worth attending? If I can’t get my wife a ticket, she’ll be less than impressed I’m ditching her Friday night. If it’s not a big loss, I’ll forget worrying about finding a ticket, skip the banquet, and eat supper at our chalet.

Help!
Quote Reply
Re: IMMT Banquet [DZ_Matt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just on ok lunch with few people making speeches

Food itself is not worth the price of the tickets... but speeches are kind of nice (ish, typical stuff about how great people are for doing that sport).

Last year there was few people standing at the back just to listen... could be an idea to go for a good meal in town and show up at the banquet 30 mins after the start.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went in 2017. Food was good but bland. Nothing to write home about. But the speeches and motivation were really cool and a big part of the overall experience for me. Plus at least that year the athlete briefing was immediately following the banquet and you might want to go to that.

With all that said good but bland food, cool experience, and briefing... none of those rhyme with life. If she’s going to be mildly annoyed and forgot about before you wake up in the morning might be worth going anyway. If it’s going to become something later it’s not worth it.

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also went to the banquet in 2017. Pretty much agree with the above. Dinner is whatever but as a first time IM athlete then, I really enjoyed the rest of it. That being said, I don’t think I would have enjoyed it very much without my wife there too. She deserves as much recognition as I do for supporting.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My 2 cents- Since this is your first full IM you need to go. You will get extra inspiration and motivation for race day. It helps your mindset and helps remove any doubts creeping in to your brain. If you do another one you will know what to expect as they are all essentially the same. Besides, you paid for it. You could meet your wife later for a beaver tail (seriously).
Quote Reply