Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IMLP Tip...am I an idiot (yes)
Quote | Reply
I was asked for and gave a tip...this has worked for me...maybe I am nuts.

On about my 2nd or 3rd IMLP I noticed that there is a bottle stop on the bike about 7-8 miles in...on top the climb out of LP. So, I only put one bottle on my bike - and it is half full...I drink off the course and dont have my own special brew...so, I think that if you are going to live off the course...why carry full bottles up that hill right of the swim? What is that? About 5lbs off the bikes weight on that climb?

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: IMLP Tip...am I an idiot (yes) [Record10Carbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's totally reasonable if you can, with confidence, know you will get drinks at the top. We used to do that all the time in hilly races.

Mr. Uncaptured External Costs

Fossil carbon is planetary poison.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Same advise for Wildflower. Why carry 2 full bottles up Beach Hill.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
        I did the bicycle race around Lake Tahoe in October. I didn't trust them to have water at their advertised locations since they were very disorganized. I carried two bottles and a full aero drink bottle up the hills around Emerald Bay. It was enough for the whole way around the lake. They did have water, but I had Gatorade and I didn't have to slow down. Was it worth it? I don't know but at least I had peace of mind.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! đŸ˜‚ '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes... that was the reply to the subject line, now let me go read the post... ;-)

-
"Yeah, no one likes a smartass, but we all like stars" - Thom Yorke

smartasscoach.tri-oeiras.com
Quote Reply
Re: IMLP Tip...am I an idiot (yes) [OCTriGeek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Same advise for Wildflower. Why carry 2 full bottles up Beach Hill."

Because they were short on volenteers this year and all I got at the first stop was a "sorry dude". Next time I will take the full bottles just in case.

Dave
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just make sure that no a**hole flips his cigarette onto your bike, b/c you might lash out--on a hot day, could be fatal-no liquid for you until the aid station:).

Good Luck, and see you over there.

leslie myers
http://www.foodsensenow.com
Last edited by: Honey: Jul 18, 05 19:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What kind of bike split are you planning on doing that you need to save the extra 2 or 3 seconds that having a water bottle for the first 5 miles will add?
Quote Reply
Re: IMLP Tip...am I an idiot (yes) [mag900] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To hell with split...5lbs is 5 lbs...and I have in the past had a 22mph+ bike split at that race.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
22mph = 5:05. if you really are in 5:05 shape, why are you asking questions like this the week of the race? 5 extra pounds for 5 miles is going to add at most a few seconds onto your time, which you probably will lose anyway slowing down to load up on bottles at the top of the hill.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is my strategy for both the start and the finish of the course. Particularly on the first lap, I don't drink a whole lot until I get through Keene anyway (as my stomach processes the 1/2 gallon or so of Mirror lake that I've ingested). Start out light on the water and gatorade, get up that hill, then fill 'er up at that aid station. Only caveat is that aid station can be busy, particularly if you are a MOP swimmer like me and get out on a busy bike course.

Same strategy for the long climbs back into town. Dump everything at the aid station in Wilmington save for about 1/2 to 3/4 of a bottle of water. There is an aid station at about mile 50 where you can replenish.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
What is that? About 5lbs off the bikes weight on that climb?

5 lbs?

Only if you're drinking Mercury!

A regular water bottle filled with water weighs 1 lb 7oz.

That's less than 1% of the weight of you and your bike. I'd say this will be worth about 4-5 seconds before you hit the top of the first big hill.

I too have ridden 22 mph on that course (5-05 in '01) and know that it's flat enough that aerodynamics are more important than weight. However this is free weight saving, so I think you should take it. However, being in a wetsuit for an hour with nothing to drink might mean that you're going to want more than 18 oz of water in the first 20 minutes of the bike. I'm taking one large bottle (24 oz, ~2 lbs).

Doug
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think what record10Carbon is getting at is why expend the extra energy to carry the extra weight?

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: IMLP Tip...am I an idiot (yes) [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
but why work on improving your bike split by 10'' when improving your run could lead to a 15' fast time overall??
10'' is so easy to get in the water, on the run, heck even in transition, you'd get 10'' very easily...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have in the past had a 22mph+ bike split at that race

what? did they totally mess up your race results? or are you posing a little bit here?

_________
kangaroo -- please do not read or respond to any of my posts
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rec, if it works for you great. Good tip for others in your camp. I rely on myself for hydration during that race, and will again next year. I take 4 of the big bottles with me, which is about 5 regular sized bottles. Was enough for my ride, and yeah, its a bit much to carry at first, but as the day goes on, and I get more tired, my load is getting lighter just when I need it.

22mph? Damn. I was thrilled with 19.

--------------
Elivis needs boats.
Quote Reply
Re: IMLP Tip...am I an idiot (yes) [mag900] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you illiterate? This was ADVICE I GAVE...dont even fucking attack me

People on this site have a nasty habit of reading EVERY OTHER LINE...what I said was..."I was asked for advice for the course"...I then said the only thing I could really think of was the bottles....then, I am told for all practical purposes that I am an idiot and the weight does not matter...note: I will NOT be at IMLP this year....jeesh...

Last edited by: Record10Carbon: Jul 19, 05 9:12
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The better question is are YOU literate? You stated: "and I have in the past had a 22mph+ bike split at that race," which, to any person with even a rudimentary understanding of the english language means that you are claiming to have ridden the LP course in 22mph+. GJS called BS on that and beat me to the punch. BigBloke HAS split 5:05 up there so I'll defer to his belief that 1 less bottle for 5 miles isn't going to mean squat on that course. You need to lighten up Francis.
Quote Reply