Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IMFL Weather
Quote | Reply
Anybody got a 10 day forecast? Closest I get is next Thursday--55 degrees at 6AM, 76 by noon. Not bad.
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL Weather [BadMonk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is too far out for a forecast to be close to right.

http://www.weather.com/...mp;from=search_10day
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
anybody know the water temperature?

Quote Reply
Re: IMFL Weather [Tri Nic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
About 76F currently. Could go down a couple of degrees between now and race day depending if we get a couple of cool nights next week.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Me and my buddies from work have this theory about the Weather Channel and other similar TV stations/websites:

If they could accurately predict the weather for lets say 7 days, then people would go to the website or TV station once a week to get their weather forcast. If that was the case then the advertisers wouldn't pay so much to get their commercials/pop-ups on because people would see it just once a week. Now what I think is that they have a random weather forcast generator program that gets more accurate as you get closer to the day in question. Sometimes it's right, sometimes not. Because of this, you will have to go to the TV/website every day to check the weather, increasing traffic and increasing their ratings to get the advertising dollar.

Of course this is all conjecture ;)

jaretj
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL Weather [Tri Nic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I get the water temperature here.

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/...SRFTAE&version=0
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks guys!

I'm starting o get a little nervous...

Quote Reply
Re: IMFL Weather [elund] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
It is too far out for a forecast to be close to right.

It doesn't have to be right. It just has to be reassuring!

Light rain and wind at 11MPH from the NNW is not reassuring.

Whatever it is, we will wake up and deal with it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Count on wind, and 11 mph would be about average I'd guess. Rain would be very unusual. The swim's the thing. Hope you get calm seas.

Good luck.

-Robert

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~Anne Frank
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL Weather [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seriously, if they could accurately predict 7 days out, the National Weather Service would be all over those models. The National Hurricane Center would love to be able to call forecast tracks a week out in order for people to know they need to close up and evacuate. But you can only really get a reasonably accurate forecast for those things three days out, even when any number of supercomputers are crunching the numbers on dozens of different model runs. Five days out really puts you in Ye Olde Cone of Uncertainty. Heck Ivan was supposed to hit Tampa if you went by the five day forecast.
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL Weather [FLA Jill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And we sat here in northern Palm Beach County with Frances offshore, just sitting, with them telling us its 12 hours away, and next thing you know its "GET IN YOUR SAFE ROOM"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The problem is that the US has not adopted the Kyoto Protocol. Countries that have adopted the Kyoto Protocol can predict weather as much as 50 years in advance.
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL Weather [yobbo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Countries that have adopted the Kyoto Protocol can predict weather as much as 50 years in advance.
I thought I was the only one who had heard that!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I understand weather prediction is difficult, but my theory is funny :)

jaretj
Quote Reply