Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IMFL - Sunbird condo's
Quote | Reply
We were informed yesterday by Sunbird that they had shifted our reservation over to the Summit ( a real dump ) because they are still fully booked with katrina victims and enjoy sucking on FEMA's tit for full price of units rather than IMFL discount rate. Called the Summit and after much confusion they believed they had a reservation for us. Anybody else had this happen? RA Hospitality claim to have moved 100 reservations in the last 48 hours.
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL - Sunbird condo's [feviking] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Samething here - I had 2 condos rented and to find out 10 days before the race was really nice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, that really sucks. I'm staying at the SunBird as well, but I have not heard anything. How were you told, phone or mail?

Where is the Summit with respect to the SunBird and the race site?

-Colin (now worried)

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL - Sunbird condo's [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got a phone message yesterday afternoon, they are also trying to reach people by email. What is upsetting is that the do it 10 days out, when your chances of finding alternative accomendations without going through them and paying their fee is practically nil. They have obviosuly know about this a long time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And who needs this last minute stress
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They were probably hoping that enough of the evacuees would have been able to go back to what's left of their homes by November 1 that they could take care of all their non-evacuee bookings. And really bad karma to ask the evacuees to move elsewhere for IMFL weekend.
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL - Sunbird condo's [FLA Jill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
at least some of those condos are privately owned/rented. you might want to ask the office to contact the owners to see if you can possibly get another unit that way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, that really sucks. Wish I had some good advice for you on this one...I suppose there's a remote possibility a private owner has something available for that time period, but what a drag having to deal with that now. I feel for you...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We rented directly from an owner. It was 1/2 the price of the Boardwalk units in the same complex. I guess it was a good deal in two ways.

Support Crew
This information contained herein has been assembled for your assistance and convenience. It is believed to be reliable, however, its accuracy cannot be guaranteed. All opinions shown are subject to change without notice.
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL - Sunbird condo's [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Summit is less than a half mile from the race site. It is adjacent to Spinnaker night club on the east side. Sunbird is a little further down the road, probably 1.5-2 miles. Sunbird is definitely nicer, but I would say the Summit is nicer than where I've stayed for many of my race trips. Both are on the water--enjoy the view and don't worry about the room.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have had similar bad experiences with shifting/confusion rooms at Sunbird/Boardalk Resort aswell. Even though we had a confimation one year for the Sunbird and called twice on route as we were arriving late, when we finally arrived at 11pm they told us that our resevation was for the night before and now it was given to someone else. Another time at the Howard Johnson we had sand in the bed and gum on the walls when we arrived. in both cases the general manager barely said he was sorry. Im my opinion it really is a shame they are the official hotel and I won't go back there.
Herbert
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Summitt is fine..........its just a race........albiet a long one....

I shall never misuse Rex Kwon Do
I shall be a champion of freedom and justice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just called, and I am still at the Sunbird -- I guess that's the advantage of coming an entire week early (we arrive this Saturday)! If you want to check your reservations, the 800 number reservation option is perennially busy. Try (850) 234-3484, and just stay on the line (don't press any options) for a real person. She was able to verify my reservation, and said that many people have indeed been moved.

Good luck,

Sharon

Festina Lente
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They are not allowed to evict their tennants. They would love to get rid of the Katrina tennants. The fees they collect from FEMA are significantly less than what they would collect from tourist or business travelers.

But, there is plenty of reservations available this time of year in PC Beach at other hotels. Its the off-season. The biggest secret at the annual IMFL event is to wait until the last minute to make your reservations so that you get discount rates. People that make their reservations during the peaks of summer end up paying higher rates. (in some cases.)
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL - Sunbird condo's [bshanberg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The secret is to rent from an owner, usually nicer room and damn good price.
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL - Sunbird condo's [docpeachey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sharon, Thanks for the Sunbird advice. Phew. I still have a reservation and a confirmation number. Sorry about all you guys who got moved....
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL - Sunbird condo's [bshanberg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wonder what they are getting for FEMA. Have you seen the Time magazine where it talks about how much Carnival cruise lines is getting for the half-empty cruise ships that are supposed to be housing evacuees? It's around 3x the price that they would normally get for a cruise.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have stayed at both the Summit 3 times and the Sunbird one time for IMFLA. Yes the Sunbird overall is nicer, but we have had some very nice rooms at the Summit as well.

One word of advice is it be really nice to the employees at check in time. If you go up to your room and its a dump go back down to the desk and ask if you can switch rooms. We arrived on Thursday around noon and 2 of the 3 times we switched rooms. The check in folks gave us a handfull of keys and said find yourself a nice place. 20 minutes later we were in a very well appointed room. Friday morning bring the check in employees Starbucks and if you return they will remember you for next year!

The Summit is just as close the transition area, and in my opinion the cooking appliances were better. I would recomend staying in the East Tower or the tower to your left as you face the gulf. There was a night club adjacent to the tower to your right and I could see how you make get additional noise on race day. To me the summit is also nicer for freinds and family that may be supporting you. To see the run all they need to do is walk 150 yards from the elevator to the race course.

Good Luck,

RF
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are tons of rooms and condos available in PCB during race week. I used to stay at the Dunes of Panama, which was about a mile away from the race site. It had some great condos in a 5 building complex. We could easily get to the race site, but were far enough away to avoid the jumble of triathletes. The family was very relaxed there.

www.panamacitybeachonline.com will give you a nice list of places.

---------------

"Remember: a bicycle is an elegant and efficient tool designed for seeking out and defeating people who aren't as good as you."

--BikeSnobNYC
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL - Sunbird condo's [mcombs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FEMA rates for rooms aren't that great. But it's the off season, and better to fill rooms somehow when they'd normally sit empty.

And there are a lot of condo owners who genuinely want to help out some people who have lost everything, and who are taking a loss on the rental because they feel like it's the right thing to do.
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL - Sunbird condo's [FLA Jill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Support Crew for idea of renting from a condo owner directly in the future. There has been numerous cases in our local press here in tampa area of hotels & rental agencies getting FEMA checks and not housing anybody. Others have taken peak season rate as going FEMA rate, Sunbird did not want to tell me what they were billing FEMA in relation to IMFL price, if FLAJILL has any inside scope please share.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know concrete FEMA rates. I just know a number of people in the Destin/South Walton area who are renting to friends of friends of friends who used to live in New Orleans or Waveland at cheaper than even snowbird rates.

My folks have a place in Destin. They rented out to evacuees for a couple weeks after Katrina at less than winter rates, and even waived the usual 'no pets' rules so that the evacuees' dogs could stay there. They ended up taking a loss on those weeks (they usually get last minute walk-ins for those weeks at full fall prices when the weather is good) and were also out a couple hundred extra bucks in cleaning fees when the evacuees left because of the dogs. The place wasn't trashed, and the pets were housebroken and everything, but it couldn't be rerented until it was a little less doggy-smelling.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a room available at the host hotel, FYI

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...;;page=unread#unread
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some friends have a place at Seagrove, FL that is open. I would think it would be about 25 to 30 minutes away from the race start/finish. Nice place. Clean. http://www.vrbo.com/59947

Good Luck to all at IMFL.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got an email middle of last week telling me the same. I was able to get confirmation of my replacement reservation at the Summit but have been concerned ever since about the quality of the accomodation. I guess I will take the approach that I can change room if it is a real dump.

I did follow up to find out how many reservations have been moved and was told that this applied to 110 rooms. Pretty rough in my opinion but I guess the families staying there have it much worse.
Quote Reply