Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IMFL one month from today. [ffmedic84] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Way under trained, was struggling with alcohol use and had a lot of travel for work. So i've barely trained.

Bad
Average 2k in the pool/week
Averaging 70ish miles/week on the bike
Only 2-3 runs a week

Good
Totally healthy
Still very fit
Should be able to sneak in around mid to high 10's barring I race some what smart and nothing crazy happens.

But this is ironman so who knows! I'm one and done after this one. I'm going back to the 5k. The track calls my name!

The Home of Advanced Running
Advanced Running Instagram Page
My narcisstic training log
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL one month from today. [sp1ke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, it will be cold! As of now I see 42 low and 64 high!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Im a Floridian, so im not a big fan of the cold. I m going to swim in jammers and wetsuit...then switch to my race kit, arm warmers, knee warmer, compression socks, socks, shoe covers, gloves and beanie. There is no way i can start the bike in a wet kit.....ill take the hit on time. Triple layer my core section and discard as needed throughout the day. The water temp should still be good since it will get so cold, so fast. Good luck all
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL one month from today. [Midi-chlorian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Midi-chlorian wrote:
Yes, it will be cold! As of now I see 42 low and 64 high!!

You're reading the low wrong.

When you look at something like the weather channel and you see 64/42 like you are for Saturday, that low means 42 degrees heading into Sunday morning. Thus 42 does not apply to you.

You should be concerned with the low for Friday which currently is 47 as it will most likely be near 47-48 as we enter the water.

Quote Reply
Re: IMFL one month from today. [striket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
striket wrote:
Im a Floridian, so im not a big fan of the cold. I m going to swim in jammers and wetsuit...then switch to my race kit, arm warmers, knee warmer, compression socks, socks, shoe covers, gloves and beanie. There is no way i can start the bike in a wet kit.....ill take the hit on time. Triple layer my core section and discard as needed throughout the day. The water temp should still be good since it will get so cold, so fast. Good luck all

I had no idea the first blizzard of this winter was hitting Panama City this weekend.

Wet kit is the way to go. It'll be dry by mile 15 and by mile 25 you'll be warm. Plus that's easily 3-5 minutes in transition extra to make that gear switch. But hopefully it's worth it for you!

I'd roast with all that stuff you have on and I lived in Florida 13 years. We gotta get some of you guys up north once in a while.

Quote Reply
Post deleted by striket [ In reply to ]
Re: IMFL one month from today. [justarunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So your not a Floridian, you just choose to live here. Good for you! Afterwards please post your T1 time to see what kind of time we actually lose to you.
Last edited by: striket: Oct 28, 14 21:45
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Um...I'm a floridian through and through dude.

I have a Florida driver's license and it's been my residence for 20 years?

The difference between remove wetsuit, put on shoes, and go versus remove wetsuit, jammers, add new suit, arm warmers, knee warmers, gloves, beanie, shoes, and then go...that's quite a bit.

But yea, I'm a floridian and I just recently moved to SoCal. I'm also just not so crazy to think that 50 degrees is something that requires a gortex. :p

I was making a lighthearted joke my man, relax.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Arm Warmers, gloves and toe covers all just went in the bag...glad I looked again at the forecast before I left! Fortunately I've done b2b twice with the same starting temps, kinda why I wanted to do Florida..oh well. Running w low 60's makes the miserable first couple hours worth it. Sun will help a lot too.
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL one month from today. [Midi-chlorian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did I read the weather correct 48 at swim start and high in mid 60s with a 15 mph wind all day?
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL one month from today. [criswhit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you believe Accuweather.com's "Real Feel" it's MUCH bleaker than that!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
10mph with gusts at 20mph from NE. Most likely it will be less than that early in the day and get to that level later, which means you should be fine heading out, and will get a nice little tail wind for the last 30mi or so, aside from that out and back section at mile 90.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seems that you are correct actually...17 to 20mph NNW, all day long. Good :-)
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL one month from today. [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So potentially a pretty good headwind coming back and probably a not so strong tailwind early in the day... I guess my dreams of a 5h split went poof :) not by much though... about 7-8 min according top BestBikeSplit. I'm packing a 404 front to replace my FLO90 (maybe) but I'm keeping the disc on for sure.

Francois wrote:
Seems that you are correct actually...17 to 20mph NNW, all day long. Good :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tailwind coming back. A stiff one at that. The wind (if it is as predicted) will be a bit of pain on the way out until you turn right, then and on the long stretch back to the road that takes you back to town, and then you can blow up at mi 95 and wouldn't have to pedal at all ;-)
That's a lot better than say a SE wind.
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL one month from today. [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, on 79 going south we'll be flying and like you said the timing helps being at the end of the ride. I was referring to the E > W section on 20. Crosswinds on Front Beach Rd. will be brutal :)

Francois wrote:
Tailwind coming back. A stiff one at that. The wind (if it is as predicted) will be a bit of pain on the way out until you turn right, then and on the long stretch back to the road that takes you back to town, and then you can blow up at mi 95 and wouldn't have to pedal at all ;-)
That's a lot better than say a SE wind.
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL - It's RACE WEEK!!! [imsparticus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good luck to everyone, I will miss racing with you this year. I have done this race a the last 3 times and really love it. I hope you all get great conditions and smoke the hell out of that course!

Ironman Certified Coach

Currently accepting limited number of new athletes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
striket wrote:

If I was volunteering in T1 I'd help you get dressed, but instead I'll see you in T2.

You can easily take 5 - 10 minutes extra getting dressed in T1. You are soaked and trying to hurry, but if that amount of time isn't vital to you, do what makes you comfortable.

It's funny though. I saw that forecast and thought, wow, they are really getting perfect weather this year. I hate trying to race when it is hot, I'd much rather be a little cool. I melt when it is over 85.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It'll be perfect. Will get another 5min just on front beach on all those who don't want to stay in the aerobars ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does anyone know a good route/section to ride on Thursday and Friday?

-
"It's nice to be great, but far greater to be nice"
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL one month from today. [yoe400800] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Again....DISC or no disc ??
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL one month from today. [yoe400800] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yoe400800 wrote:
Does anyone know a good route/section to ride on Thursday and Friday?

Drive out to Frank Brown park and ride from there along the course north on 79. You can grab a swim too at an awesome pool.

Quote | Reply
MTRIB wrote:
Again....DISC or no disc ??

Always a disc unless prohibited!

Quote | Reply
Thanks IronTri I'll head out that way.

I'll also be riding a disc, drove from chicago and that's all I have. At 143lbs I'm hoping for no wind! Also hoping irontri isn't 30-34.

-
"It's nice to be great, but far greater to be nice"
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL - It's RACE WEEK!!! [imsparticus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In case any of you IMFL folk are interested in better analyzing your nutrition plan for Saturday, I've created a race-day long-course triathlon nutrition-analysis tool that you're welcome to try.
It's not always easy to get a good handle on things like your exact sodium intake, or your likely caffeine level given that caffeine has a half-life of ~5 hrs (too much caffeine is shown to be detrimental, too little and you may be missing potential benefits).
It's a web-app built upon a google-doc, so if you have a google account, just fill out the form (link here) and you'll receive an email with the info.
You use drop-down menus to quickly describe your race plan and it provides a breakdown of most of the useful data in table and graph form.
The tool has a large library of triathlete's typical pre-race and in-race foods, containing all constituent info. You can add unlisted foods to your personal food library, and optionally submit them to the global library, where it trickles back to all users.
Here are some sample images from the tool. It's still in beta, but a few guys found it useful for Kona. It can store several races, and provides warnings if certain levels are well outside typical ranges.
I don't want to hijack your thread with feedback, folk can PM me. I'll start a thread when it's out of beta.
Good luck to all this weekend
Doug
http://www.triathlonlog.com/...tion-evaluation-tool

Quote Reply

Prev Next