Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IMFL one month from today. [imsparticus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't waste the mental energy thinking about it. As far as you need to be concerned, it was a good workout that set you up for a nice restful race week. Chill out this week and get your mind and body ready to feel great on the starting line!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You obviously didn't ride all out enough because you went for a 4 mile run afterwards :)
You're fine, just resist the urge to "test your fitness" this week. Trust that you did all you could have done and know that at this time you can only screw it up by blowing your taper or getting injured.

imsparticus wrote:
General question to anyone listening.

This past Saturday I rode 40 miles "all out" and then ran four miles easy.

My buddy thinks going all out for 40 miles, seven days before the race, was too hard an effort. My run taper has been three weeks (long runs of 20, 13, and 4 miles). My bike taper has been long rides of 100, 80, and 40.

Obviously, too late to change the past, but what says Slowtwitch?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
an "all out" 40 mile ride takes a bit of time to recover from, but as long as your training prior to that has been solid, you should be ok. I would suggest (I know you didn't ask, can't help myself) that you restrict your hard efforts this week to 30 second HIIT intervals, coupled with a few reps of 5 minutes at your race pace HR, with nothing over 75 minutes total.

I did 90 minutes hard bike on Saturday, 5 miles moderate hard run with 60 sec intervals Sunday. That was a bit less than I could've done based on my training for ths race, but I was exhausted and sleep deprived from being at military drill for the weekend. Short, sharp workouts and plenty of sleep are good advice for all of us this week. Then watch "300" the afternoon before the race, you'll be ready to go!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is no way you will carry fatigue from a 2h bike session over 7 days.

However you might wanna do more controlled efforts during a taper. For example I did 6x30 minutes@RP+5w 10 days out, 4x15@RP+5w 7 days out. I was rested before the first workout, and ready to cut it short if I would start to feel uncomfortable (relative ofc) and was carrying some of the fatigue into the second workout, but the day after I felt OK. 4 days out I did my last hard session: 3x5 minutes at 105% and an hour at race pace (not 5w over this time). It should feel easy and it sure did. Was ready to cut this one short also but seriously, you should have a pretty conservative approach on the bike race plan making an hour at race pace a pretty easy thing to do. Doing my efforts 5w above also made it way easier when I went "down" to race pace.
I think that such a structured approach is better in terms of preparing you for the race rather than just going all out for X miles.

YMMV ofc

Endurance coach | Physiotherapist (primary care) | Bikefitter | Swede
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL one month from today. [lanceman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks to all who responded. I think the hard 40 gave me a much needed confidence boost, which I needed after six weeks or unimpressive long rides. As for watching "300", I will substitute Gladiator.

Saturday at sunrise, we unleash hell. Strength and honor.

Five days from now, I will be riding like the wind. Imagine where you will be, and it will be so. Hold the line! Stay with me! If you find yourself alone, riding in the green fields with the sun on your face, do not be troubled. For you are in Elysium, and you're already dead!
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL one month from today. [Runningwithwine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I get down there Thursday... First time at IMFL, is there a good spot to get a swim near race site?

-
"It's nice to be great, but far greater to be nice"
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL one month from today. [yoe400800] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

There will be plenty of people swimming in the ocean getting ready. Just hop in...
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL just five days away (It's RACE WEEK!!!). [imsparticus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ben Hoffman (Second overall and First American in Kona this year!) will be on the Athlete Panel at IM Florida. Thursday at 12:00 Noon! Z
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL just five days away (It's RACE WEEK!!!). [tomziebart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can you provide a link to a list of the pros racing?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That'd be cool to hear what Ben has to say.

Isn't this the last year that IMFL has pros participating?
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL just five days away (It's RACE WEEK!!!). [lanceman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep, last year for pros.
Good luck, Lanceman! The arnge page will be watching!
Last edited by: mjlrun: Oct 27, 14 15:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
imsparticus wrote:
Can you provide a link to a list of the pros racing?

http://www.ironman.com/...%20for%20website.pdf
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL just five days away (It's RACE WEEK!!!). [Chris Martin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. Last year with pros. Shame.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Time to rock and roll you SOBs!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There will not be a Pro Prize purse at the 2015 IM Florida, but that DOES NOT mean that the race will never have a prize purse in the future. Same with the other IM events in the USA that will not have prize money next year. The 2016 schedule of events that will have prize money has not been decided at this point. Z
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom, question.... Just because a race doesn't have a prize does it mean that a pro couldn't enter to fulfill his/her validation for Kona?
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL just five days away (It's RACE WEEK!!!). [bwain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry, do not know the answer to that question. Z
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL one month from today. [Runningwithwine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anybody have an update on the jellyfish status? Are they still everywhere?
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL one month from today. [ttaylo5] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where I've been swimming, there are tonnes of little ones. They've just been bouncing off my torso. Was freaked out the first time (They don't have jelly fish in Ontario lakes), but after a couple of swims they're just normal OWS issues (like long weeds that I'd get tangled in back home). Same with the little stingrays. They just stay on the bottom and I just swim over them.
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL one month from today. [mdoucette77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mdoucette77 wrote:
Where I've been swimming, there are tonnes of little ones. They've just been bouncing off my torso. Was freaked out the first time (They don't have jelly fish in Ontario lakes), but after a couple of swims they're just normal OWS issues (like long weeds that I'd get tangled in back home). Same with the little stingrays. They just stay on the bottom and I just swim over them.

Are you swimming through them, where they hit your bare hands and face? If so, no sting?
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL one month from today. [mbwallis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nope, no stings. Today was the only day I've worn a wetsuit, and had minimal hand contact. Yesterday I was just testing the water in surf shorts and had a few bounce off my torso. I guess I'm hitting the top of them/their tops are hitting me, and the tentacles aren't getting me. I don't really know how jellyfish work. Guess I've been lucky so far (although the one time my wife doesn't hold her pee while I'm swimming will be when it happens)
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL just five days away (It's RACE WEEK!!!). [mjlrun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, Marty!.
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL just five days away (It's RACE WEEK!!!). [lanceman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Swam late this afternoon. Water was a bit choppy but crystal clear. Several stingrays and a few jellyfish.
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL one month from today. [ttaylo5] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I'm more concerned about the 41F temperature at the start (according to accuweather). What's your plan if it ends up being this cold?

ttaylo5 wrote:
Anybody have an update on the jellyfish status? Are they still everywhere?
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL one month from today. [sp1ke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Go harder so I warm up? :-)
Quote Reply

Prev Next