Re: IMFL one month from today. [imsparticus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
imsparticus wrote:
How about a water temperature update?

It's back up to 80 degrees
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL just over three weeks away. [yoe400800] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Run is pretty shade-free. In the early miles, you have a bit of shade from taller buildings, and running through the park there are a few sections where you have tree shade. But for the most part, you're pretty exposed to the sun. So if you go under 11 hours, you'll get a lot of sun. If over 11 hours, sunset is around 6PM, so it'll still be light, but indirect and cooling. 12 hrs+, you'll have plenty of shade.... otherwise known as dark... ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL just over two weeks away. [imsparticus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Had our first Fall type cold morning today...by that I mean, Florida cold. No snow, but definitely needed a light jacket and coulda used a parka on the pool deck...

Surf report said water temp at PCB was 82 today....should start dropping now...
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL one month from today. [mbwallis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Im in! First IM.

I assume training is ggod, Having never done an IM I hope I am prepared.

Looking forward to crossing the line!

Yellowfin Endurance Coaching and Bike Fits
USAT Level 1, USAC Level 3
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL just over two weeks away. [lanceman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lanceman wrote:
Had our first Fall type cold morning today...by that I mean, Florida cold. No snow, but definitely needed a light jacket and coulda used a parka on the pool deck...

Surf report said water temp at PCB was 82 today....should start dropping now...

Extended forecast shows a lot of low temps between 55-62 between now and then. I guarantee this one will be wetsuit legal. Or my name ain't Nathan Arizona.
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL just over two weeks away. [mbwallis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Last seven years we have lucked out and had great weather.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Who cares if it's wetsuit legal or not. We've all done the training.Let's get it on!

Rav Dighe
Coach & Director
w: http://www.alohatri.com
e: rav@alohatri.com
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL just over two weeks away. [Ironrav] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
no wetsuits would be awesome! a lot less people would call it an "easy" ironman...
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL just over two weeks away. [MTranquilli] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I suspect the swim is more difficult than most NA ironman races. Louisville and Chattanooga are in rivers swimming with the current. Most are in lakes. The IMFL swim can be pretty tough some years.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
imsparticus wrote:
I suspect the swim is more difficult than most NA ironman races. Louisville and Chattanooga are in rivers swimming with the current. Most are in lakes. The IMFL swim can be pretty tough some years.

And if it's one footers and chop, they'll probably cancel the swim like Gulf Coast last May:(

Quote | Reply
Was not the case last year at IMFL. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xwYwUPVPLnM

irontri wrote:
imsparticus wrote:

And if it's one footers and chop, they'll probably cancel the swim like Gulf Coast last May:(
Last edited by: imsparticus: Oct 18, 14 13:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just had to give up my condo as buddy's mom is sick...

http://www.sunbirdcondo.com/708W.htm

Decent room close to the start.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
imsparticus wrote:
Was not the case last year at IMFL. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xwYwUPVPLnM

irontri wrote:
imsparticus wrote:

You missed my sarcasm, shoulda been in pink.

Quote | Reply
Seriously they need to stop robbing us from the few chances we have of body surfing :-)
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL just over two weeks away. [mbwallis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Race day weather is looking VERY good so far. 80s, 5m/h winds, sunny with some clouds. Hope it stays that way!
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL just over two weeks away. [mdoucette77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It changes every day, too far out to predict. Yesterday the forecast was 12mph S winds, with gusts to 23mph. I like today's forecast better. But it'll change 10 more times.
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL just 11 days away. [imsparticus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll be there for my first IM. Spectated while my wife did her first there last year. The swim certainly looked rough, but she did great. I'm not much of a swimmer, but I've been dedicated to the pool and bike workouts my coach assigned, so I'm hoping to get through them and into the run where I'm on more familiar ground. While I haven't done an IM yet, I've completed several trail 100 mile runs, so pushing through to the end is something I'm familiar with. Yes, I know this is very different, which is why I wanted to do it. Wife and I have already signed up for IMChat for next year. That will be her third after doing Louisville earlier this year.

Today in the pool I was starting to dream about finish times. I know that's a mistake for a first effort, but I wonder if anyone has a rule of thumb to convert 1/2 IM times to IM.

International Program Director
Galloway Training Programs
Last edited by: ctwiggs: Oct 21, 14 14:54
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL just 11 days away. [ctwiggs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ctwiggs wrote:
I'll be there for my first IM. Spectated while my wife did her first there last year. The swim certainly looked rough, but she did great. I'm not much of a swimmer, but I've been dedicated to the pool and bike workouts my coach assigned, so I'm hoping to get through them and into the run where I'm on more familiar ground. While I haven't done an IM yet, I've completed several trail 100 mile runs, so pushing through to the end is something I'm familiar with. Yes, I know this is very different, which is why I wanted to do it. Wife and I have already signed up for IMChat for next year. That will be her third after doing Louisville earlier this year.

Today in the pool I was starting to dream about finish times. I know that's a mistake for a first effort, but I wonder if anyone has a rule of thumb to convert 1/2 IM times to IM.

Rule of thumb is double it plus one hour.
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL just 11 days away. [Bryan0721] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks!
That means I'll have plenty of room to improve when I do my next one. I'd definitely rather be faster than 2x+1, but if I must choose, I'll take "Wow! That was great! I can't wait for another" over "IV, please," even if the latter is faster.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Having done several 100 mile runs, this should be a walk in the park. Enjoy.

ctwiggs wrote:

Quote Reply
Re: IMFL just 11 days away. [imsparticus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
People have told me this, but there's nothing about running 100 miles that prepares you for sitting on a skinny seat for 5 - 6 hours. I found that out on my first century ride when I chafed, bonked, and was dropped. Fortunately, some of the same pick-me-ups that work in ultrarunning also seem to work on the bike. Red Bull is my friend.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm sure you will do great. Enjoy
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL one month from today. [lanceman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just checked the NOAA buoy and water temp is 78 degrees, yesterday was 77............. looking forward to a fun swim either way
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL one month from today. [criswhit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
76.8 this morning :) do we round down?

criswhit wrote:
Just checked the NOAA buoy and water temp is 78 degrees, yesterday was 77............. looking forward to a fun swim either way
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL one month from today. [Chris Martin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chris Martin wrote:
Just had a great race in Chattanooga and will be racing in FL.

Expect a slower swim. Best of luck!
Quote Reply

Prev Next