Quote | Reply
kny wrote:
kny wrote:
kny wrote:
kny wrote:
kny wrote:
kny wrote:
2:31:55 pace at 8.6

Down to 2:33:26 pace at 11.6. He'll slow, but will he keep it sub 2:40? I'm guessing 2:38 high.

2:34:39 pace at 13.0

2:35:37 at 14.4

2:36:35 at 15.9. Sub 2:40 looking questionable.

2:38:01 at 17.4. I'm taking off. Anyone care, you can yourself update the Race Time column here for the remaining 5 splits to see the rest of the progression.

Nice!
txs for sharin

Quote Reply
Re: IMFL - It's RACE DAY!!! [vmac] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vmac wrote:
No need to really throttle it now. Would be surprised if he did not back it off a bit so he had less of a chance to blow, get injured, etc... Thoughts?

I think without the swim this sort of changes the dynamic for him. No real pressure at this point. Just get it done without killing yourself. No?

It's a two laps run with roundabouts, so he gets to see his competitors 3 times... There comes a point where you can see that with 18min+ lead, you can throttle it down safely and prevent blowing out or injuries. Beside, he probably realized that one is even close to matching his pace. If there had been a swim, and a course record... maybe. Now I would think he is playing it safe.
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL - It's RACE DAY!!! [lordhong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
what is the course record for bike and run split?
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL - It's RACE DAY!!! [ptakeda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Course records:
Bike 4:02:17 Starky. Run: 04:02:17 Victor Del Corral.
Bike 04:35:49 Van Vlerken, Run 02:53:26 Jessica Jacobs.

No male course records today. Which is good because without the swim it wouldn't seem legit.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL - It's RACE DAY!!! [badgertri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This has been done. My uncle did it a couple years back after IMFL. Rode home to Oshawa, On, Canada - starting the day after the race :) He didn't hammer it, 17 days... I think it was roughly 160-180km a day.
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL - It's RACE DAY!!! [JBell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JBell wrote:
This has been done. My uncle did it a couple years back after IMFL. Rode home to Oshawa, On, Canada - starting the day after the race :) He didn't hammer it, 17 days... I think it was roughly 160-180km a day.

sweet jesus

Quote Reply
Re: IMFL - It's RACE DAY!!! [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fast, well spoken and humble. This guy is a sponsors dream.

I can't wait until he has the opportunity to show what he can really do without a swim being cancelled.

VERY WELL DONE!
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL - It's RACE DAY!!! [shady] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2:44:12 on a debut Marathon...watch out in the future for sure...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, pretty awesome story to tell. He did it completely solo (no support crew or nothing). He just loved doing crazy long stuff like that. I would have loved to join, but I couldn't get that much free time off then.
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL - It's RACE DAY!!! [imsparticus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Class. He probably held back on the last 5 or 6 miles.
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL - It's RACE DAY!!! [arkmann] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
arkmann wrote:
Oh Christ do we need to start a thread for the sanders apologists now? Everyone was talking 2:3# in a full ironman this week. Now he runs 2:44 with no swim and it's because he held back? Right.

Just for shits and giggles del corral last year swam about 55 rode 4:15 and then ran 2:37.

Hate on Canucks!

But congrats on the win. Guy is a beast. Would have loved for the pros to have swam though for him.
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL - It's RACE DAY!!! [tucktri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tucktri wrote:
arkmann wrote:

Oh Christ do we need to start a thread for the sanders apologists now? Everyone was talking 2:3# in a full ironman this week. Now he runs 2:44 with no swim and it's because he held back? Right.

Just for shits and giggles del corral last year swam about 55 rode 4:15 and then ran 2:37.

Hate on Canucks!

But congrats on the win. Guy is a beast. Would have loved for the pros to have swam though for him.

X2. The irrational exuberance for this guy is something to behold. But good for him for being fast... so quickly. It's kind of hard to believe.
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL - It's RACE DAY!!! [tucktri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He probably held back on the bike too. He realized be wasn't gonna get the bike course so he just worked enough to show he can still blow by everyone.
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL - It's RACE DAY!!! [Dan Funk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dan Funk wrote:
tucktri wrote:
arkmann wrote:

Hate on Canucks!

X2. The irrational exuberance for this guy is something to behold. But good for him for being fast... so quickly. It's kind of hard to believe.

'Irrational exuberance'?

Well lets see. In the span of ~6 years he goes from drug addict sleeping on a couch all day to one of the top runners in the sport and mixing it up with Olympians with fastest bike/run at 70.3 Worlds .
Then today he solos a 4:12/2:44 in his IM debut!! All this in his second (first?) year as a Pro and the fanboys are being 'irrational'?

Ok then Mr Funk.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just curious, are they waiving the bike cut off? I'm watching the live feed of the run out and it's after 6:30 pm and there are still quite a few people just heading out on the run. Many are walking and if they don't pick it up they will not finish. I predict a whole bunch of DNF'S unless they are extending the midnight finish. Anyone know?
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL - It's RACE DAY!!! [Fenster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fenster wrote:
Just curious, are they waiving the bike cut off? I'm watching the live feed of the run out and it's after 6:30 pm and there are still quite a few people just heading out on the run. Many are walking and if they don't pick it up they will not finish. I predict a whole bunch of DNF'S unless they are extending the midnight finish. Anyone know?

With the TT start I don't think the race clock can give an accurate picture of race times.

-------------------
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL - It's RACE DAY!!! [Timtek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice race, I'm a fan of Mr. Sanders and he seemed to acquit himself well. Speaking the obvious here, but you'll get a much better idea of how he stacks up next year when you aren't so close to the ironman world championships. If nothing else, I'm excited to see him race some of the big guys next year.

I'm quite curious.

Dan Mayberry
Amateur a lot of things, professional a few things.
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL - It's RACE DAY!!! [drm437] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Likewise. Much different running off the front like that versus chasing. It will be interesting to read his blog race report.

Hopefully he can show as much patience as Mirinda did at Kona this year. That would be special.
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL - It's RACE DAY!!! [JBell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JBell wrote:

That's a lot of work to get to Oshawa. Oakville maybe, but Oshawa?
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL - It's RACE DAY!!! [drm437] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
drm437 wrote:
Speaking the obvious here, but you'll get a much better idea of how he stacks up next year when you aren't so close to the ironman world championships.

I agree with you there. Plus there's that 2.4 mile swim.

This year Frodeno showed us that an exceptional athlete at the 70.3 distance can do special things at the full distance if they tick all the right boxes in training and preparation. I fully expected Sanders to win today, though I'm not as bullish as the fans that think he's going to go out and smash all the course records, etc.

Sanders will have over 4,000 Kona points in the bank now and has completed his full distance race. I expect he'll have many great results on the 70.3 circuit leading up to Kona next year and it will be exciting to watch as long as he stays healthy.

If I remember correctly he said that this is his last race of the season. With the form he's showing now, I'm more than a little surprised he's not going for it at Challenge Bahrain. I would venture to guess he'd be top 4 there and would pick up a tad bit more championship racing experience.

-------------------
Last edited by: Timtek: Nov 1, 14 17:41
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL - It's RACE DAY!!! [Fenster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fenster wrote:

The bike cutoff was 5:54 PM CDT. The finish cutoff is 12:24 AM CDT. Pushed forward 24 minutes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
shady wrote:
Dan Funk wrote:
tucktri wrote:
arkmann wrote:

Hate on Canucks!

'Irrational exuberance'?

Well lets see. In the span of ~6 years he goes from drug addict sleeping on a couch all day to one of the top runners in the sport and mixing it up with Olympians with fastest bike/run at 70.3 Worlds .
Then today he solos a 4:12/2:44 in his IM debut!! All this in his second (first?) year as a Pro and the fanboys are being 'irrational'?

Ok then Mr Funk.

Um... yeah. Did you read what I wrote? "Good for him being fast...so quickly. It's kind of hard to believe."

It's irrational to think that in such a short of time someone could go from being a drug addict sleeping on a couch all day (your words) to mixing it up with the fastest people in the world. It's irrational. It doesn't make sense. And forgive me, but the past 20 years of endurance sports have taught me to be skeptical of such anomalies. Because to an anomaly...there is almost something shady going on. (sorry, couldn't help myself).

Look, I'm not trying to derail the Sanders Express here. You can't get in the way of fanboys and their object du jour.

But, unless you're logging in from North Korea, I assume you understand and respect the notion of freedom of expression.

So I urge you to keep expressing your views. And I will express mine. The beauty of a place like the Republic of Slowtwitch... they don't have to agree with one another.
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL - It's RACE DAY!!! [Timtek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed on Bahrain. Sanders should've focused there imho as opposed to this race. Maybe he still will do it and that's why he held off on the bike and run. (Pink?)
He is totally set for next year though. Though I doubt anyone is scared by this performance without the swim.
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL - It's RACE DAY!!! [Dan Funk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dan Funk wrote:
And I will express mine. The beauty of a place like the Republic of Slowtwitch... they don't have to agree with one another.

No, no you won't, and yes, yes they do. You're insinuating that something is suspicious about Sanders' performance, and that is NOT allowed on this board, not without incontrovertible proof to the contrarf. That's one of the laws this "Republic" rules with, ie. Dan.

You need to rethink your thread of posts, and rewrite what you're trying to say.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL - It's RACE DAY!!! [Devlin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I went 5:09 / 3:45 for an 8:58. What the hell does an 8:58 mean? Lol
Wind caused tough-ish conditions on the bike and run for sure.
Quote Reply

Prev Next