Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IMFL - Can the experts please explain...
Quote | Reply
How can the top two pros in 2006 and 2007 have about the same times of 8:22 & 8:23 vs 8:21 & 8:23, but a friend of mine improves by 11 minutes over the same period 9:55 to 9:44 but goes from 93rd overall and 17th in division to 134th overall and 20th in division? Is the answer that drafting is getting worse each year at IMFL? If it is, it really bites for him because cheaters are robbing him of a potential spot. My advice to him, although admirable for him to ride his own race, is to join them next time or go to CDA or USA where true talent will prevail.
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL - Can the experts please explain... [artist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does the drafting from one year to the next really change? There will always be cheaters out there.

I think the times were faster yesterday due to the weather. Woke up this morning and the wind was up, temps were down, and the surf was rough. Yesterday the surf was calm, the winds were kind for 90 miles of the bike, and the afternoon temps during the run were bearable.

This race sells out in 20-30 minutes every year. Yes, there were 1100 first timers out there yesterday, but there are also many talented AG'rs who want a Kona slot so they forgo IM Lv, LP, Moo, in favor of 'fast' times at IMF. Guess what, when everybody is racing fast, then the cream still rises to the top, and so do the Kona slots. Your buddy may have had his game on yesterday, but so did a lot of other folks.

http://jmassieblog.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think it just has to do with drafting. If you look at a lot of the top AGs in the more competitve age brackets...a lot of super fast Euros racing.

Saw something similar in my AG at Wisco this year, with Euros taking 4-5 in the top 10.

Don't blame them though, when they can come over here and qualifying is much easier for them...if anything, blame US politicians for keeping the dollar down to favor exports!

Don't know if this is a real trend or just as I see it...but seems the "projected qualifying times" - like go 9:45 at FL, 10:15 at Moo or LP (speaking roughly of 30-44) - look like they need to be calibrated down. To feel comfortable....seems like 9:15 at Fl and sub 10 at some place like Moo. Seems crazy, but seems like a growing reality.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Strength of field in his division? Weather? He was fitter? Seems like one year to the next hardly calls for a "cheater" thread.....

Thanks to Euro-Sports for my H3Cs.

http://www.euro-sports.ca
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL - Can the experts please explain... [boney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Face who you are, and what you can do...You and a great course, full support...everything you will want to know about your character you'll discover on September 13, 2008. www.thegrandcolumbian.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
How can the top two pros in 2006 and 2007 have about the same times of 8:22 & 8:23 vs 8:21 & 8:23, but a friend of mine improves by 11 minutes over the same period 9:55 to 9:44 but goes from 93rd overall and 17th in division to 134th overall and 20th in division? Is the answer that drafting is getting worse each year at IMFL? If it is, it really bites for him because cheaters are robbing him of a potential spot. My advice to him, although admirable for him to ride his own race, is to join them next time or go to CDA or USA where true talent will prevail.
could be a number of reason it's not and exact science comparing pros to age groupers is different usually every other year you get fast year for age groupers then not as fast most likely top ones get kona spot but aren't into the doing imf 3 weeks after hawaii the following year. Then you get alternate years(it seems haven't done any studies) of germans comeing in..

Okay last year it was pretty cold maybe that hurt more folks last year than you friend..
Conditions this year were very fast for the bike which helped folks who love flat courses but if your friend is better on tough day
where others aren't but then they are much better on a good day... Lot's of variables......
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL - Can the experts please explain... [ATL Dad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well put.

Richard Nixon, Fit2Tri Multisport Inc.
Fit2Tri,
rich@fit2tri.com
Discount code, slowtwithch
Quote Reply