Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IMC v. IMLP
Quote | Reply
Did IMC last year and had a good race, in large part due to the mild weather we had that day. What luck. Am considering doing Lake Placid next year and am wondering if anyone can give me some insight as to weather and course comparisons between the two. Was considering Coeur d'Alene, but the hot weather this year dissuaded me. I'm one of those folks who is crippled by anything warmer than 85 degrees on a long course - even with salt tabs and good hydration. Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: IMC v. IMLP [Sher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
weather at any three of these races is never a sure thing. Look at Penticton right now, highs in the upper 90's. It can be hot ther on race day, it can be cold there on race day, it is never a sure thing. Same with CDA and Lake Placid. I really think that the weather this year at CDA was a fluke and it won't be that hot again next year.

All three bike courses are tough, but I think that IMC is a better course than LP because of the placement of the hills.

Mike Plumb, TriPower MultiSports
Professional Running, Cycling and Multisport Coaching, F.I.S.T. Certified
http://www.tripower.org
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did Canada last year, and LP the year before and in 99. I got lucky all 3 times as far as weather. I agree that last year Canada was a lucky day in terms of weather, especially considering how hot it was the 3 days before and 2 days after. I remember being scared shi*less when I heard that raceday was predicted to be in the middle to high 30's (even in celsius it sounded bad). Lake Placid is definitely more temperate, and not as dry a climate. Don't be surprised to see some high temps, but averages tend to be more in the 70's and low 80's. Humidity will be a little higher, but not so bad when you consider what it is like in the middle atlantic states this time of year. Last year the day had all sorts of weather though, and it gets pretty chilly at night, so be prepared.

As far as the courses are concerned, I really don't know which is harder. They each have their own charm. LP has alot of climbing, and if you string together the effort from Wilmington through LP and up to Mt. VonHoovenwhateveritis, you are looking at 17 miles or so of stairstep climbing. There are no epic Richter Passes or Yellow Lakes, but you don't get that wonderful 10 mile descent into t2 like Ca has. I think the run courses may lean a little towards LP in terms of difficulty, but maybe not. I couldn't be really sure, in fact I am dying to hear other people's opinions on this. I was significantly more fit for Ca than LP, and I was 25 minutes faster in Penticton, so I think that my views are somewhat colored by the great day I had. I would like to think that I did the better time on the harder course, but honestly I don't know. People who did it with me, including my wife, think that Ca was just as hard as LP. All agree that the bike in Ca had some serious climbing, like miles and miles, but in between were plenty of opportunities to settle into a nice pace, where LP doesn't really give you as much of those chances, you always seem to be going up something. Hope this helps.

"Maybe you should just run faster..." TM
Quote Reply
Re: IMC v. IMLP [Mike Plumb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mike or anyone else,

Do you know how the bike loop at the California 1/2 this year compares to the loop at Lake Placid?

Thanks.

------------------------------------------------------------
"No one ever told me they made black fondant!" - Duff Goldman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't be scared away by the temps at CDA. I was up there a few days after the race and the highs were in the mid 70's. I also monitored temps in the few weeks leading up and the high was generally in the high 70's and low 80's. As far as Canada and CDA are concerned, the weather is a crapshoot. Sure the weather was great at Canada last year, but it could have just as easily been in the 90's.
Quote Reply
Re: IMC v. IMLP [woofy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you may want someone elses opinion on this. I have riddne part of the LP course (last 12 miles) and the whole loop for Cal Half, but the ride on the Cal course was just a regular training ride and it was two years ago. I think the LP course is harder and has a lot more climbing. Maybe not as steep as the steepest climb in CA but a lot longer. THe good thing about the climbs at LP is that if you are geared right, you can settle into a good climbing rythym and just spin up them. It's all in the gearing! This is a personal thing, but for me on 650 wheels, a 44 x 25 was plenty of gear for those climbs.

Mike Plumb, TriPower MultiSports
Professional Running, Cycling and Multisport Coaching, F.I.S.T. Certified
http://www.tripower.org
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Both races are held in the middle of the summer, so you have to be ready for hot weather. That being said, I have seen and experienced a range of weather at both events, but the trend is towards hot dry weather at IMC and warm humid conditions at IMUSA.

As for the courses - All things being equal I woud say for a 10 - 11 hour IM athlete the IMC course may run 10 - 15 minutes faster. Note there are WAY to many variables to nail this down, but that is what I would estimate. The bike course at IMUSA would favour the stronger cyclists, in the sense that the hills and the rollers just keep coming at you constantly. At IMC the climbs are long and steady for the most part and there are long stretchs of flat/easy terrain. However, the wind can reallly kick up at IMC and slow things down dramatically.

The final word for me, is that the IMC swim/bike/run courses are all single loops. For me personally that, is preferred. I like the challenge, the journey and that you know exactly where you stand( people on the sidelines will tell you)

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply