Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IMC start this year?
Quote | Reply
Does anyone know if IMC will be a 2 wave start this year? I know they kicked this idea around last year as a way to deal with the 25th anniversary crowd. It doesn't seem to me that the numbers are 'that' much higher than last year. I'm hoping they leave it as a mass start.

David
Quote Reply
Re: IMC start this year? [kytri_in_CO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great question. I've been wondering the same thing. IMC has been notably quiet on this front, as well as registration procedures for 2008. Are they going to keep it "Register in person only"? Or are they going back to "Register for a friend" for 2008?
Quote Reply
Re: IMC start this year? [mlbdenver] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had questions about Canada's registration policy for 2008...I know two different individuals who were doing it this year and they both were committed to standing in line to sign me up for next year. BUT, I thought I should check with those in the know because I didn't want to pass on CdA 2008 only to discover that you did indeed have to be there in-person to sign up for Canada '08.

Here was my question:
From the Ironman Canada website in regard to entry procedures....
** PLEASE NOTE ENTRY POLICY CHANGES **
"Beginning with the 2007 race entry, you will NOT be able to sign up another person at the on-site entry.
You will be required to show government-issued photo ID with your completed entry form to verify you as the named entrant. Please go to www.ironman.ca/07entrydetails.php for complete information.

I understand this policy change for 25th Anniversary edition of Ironman Canada but can you tell me if the policy will still be in effect for the 2008 race, or will it revert back to the previous policy, allowing those in line to register themselves and another individual? I want to sign up for '08, but can't make the trip all the way to Canada to do so...but, I have someone lined up who is racing this year and willing to stand in line to enter me for the next. "

This was the response I got back: "This policy will be in effect for 2008 and future races. Best means of entry is on-site day after this year's event. An option of on-line entry is being looked at however I wouldn't want you to hold out for that only to be disappointed if it doesn't matrialize. Community Fund spots will be available starting in September and available on-line through our website. Cost is $1000 US and a portion goes towards local (Penticton) charities with the other portion going towards entry fees. Outside of that qualifying races will be posted sometime after October and they generally take place up to July prior to race day in August. Hope this info helps." Thanks, Jane Gainsforth Subaru Ironman Canada Work Phone: 250-490-8787 Fax: 250-490-8788 E-mail: ironhelp@vip.net Needless to say, I registered for CdA 2008.

Quote Reply
Re: IMC start this year? [Paula] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for posting that.

I'm surprised they haven't been more forthcoming with that information for that very reason: to let people sign up for CdA or LP or whatever race they reasonably know they can enter. I am doing IMC07, and many people have asked if I can sign them up. Looks like the answer is no.
Quote Reply
Re: IMC start this year? [mlbdenver] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kind of a bummer :-( ...I really wanted to do Canada. Maybe it's time they considered a lottery for all AG entrants?

CdA '08 will be my 4th IM (3rd time @ CdA). At least the bike course will be different from the ones I've done in the past ;-).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I read somewhere (can't remember where!) that IMC 07 would be a mass start and not a wave start. As mentioned, they did think wave start last year when they thought there would be 3,000+ athletes, but that number never materialized.

So I'm gearing myself up for one big washing machine swim in August!

I won't quit running when I get old...I'll get old when I quit running.
Blogging from time to time at: http://trirunning.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Markus Mucus [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: Markus Mucus: Jun 26, 07 10:05
Re: IMC start this year? [Markus Mucus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not that kind of lottery...50 slots? Hummmmmmph! I mean a lottery for ALL the AG spots ;-)...silly!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Actually, they didn't: http://www.ironman.ca/entry.php
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are roughly 2780 registered participants for IMC as of today. I suspect that list won't grow at all at this point. Expect at least 300 - 400 to not show up but it will probably be the largest single wave ever come race day. However, probably not too much larger than last year.

Thanks, Chris
Quote Reply
Re: IMC start this year? [lakerfan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any bets the number registered doesn't go down for next year? ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
that's pretty much what I was thinking too. They'll give it a shot this year, and if they can cram that many people on the course, they'll keep increasing it.

For the first time in 5 years, I'm not signing up for next year..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I live in Kelowna, so it isn't too hard for me to sign up for IMC every year. BUT I do feel sorry for the folks from all over the world I've met in the line up. These poor folks have to come up here twice for one race. I thought we were more efficient then that in the age of the internet. IMC should start getting with the times and using internet sign up.
Quote Reply