Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
IMC Apology Email
Quote | Reply
This just in ....

Dear Athletes,

I would like to offer my sincere apology for the shortage of water on the bike course last Sunday. We had a miscalculation and allocation of the water needs on the course especially with the introduction of new products. That was an oversight on our part and I take full responsibility for it. Once our team realized that our calculations were off, they immediately set about to remedy the situation however, unfortunately it was too late for some of you. This situation has never occurred in the 29 year history of Ironman Canada and we are taking strides to ensure it never happens again such as looking at aid station locations, bike course routes and allocation of supplies.

We have also received comments about the finisher medals. The medals you received were not the medals that were approved by us or our supplier. The manufacturer mistakenly switched the dimensions after we approved the design. When the medals arrived at our supplier in Penticton race week, the error was realized but there was no time to have the correct medals made. Therefore, our supplier hired a crew to work around the clock to add the black back layer to the medals to try and salvage the error that was made.

I realize that the first conclusion many people make in these circumstances is that we were trying to save money and cut costs. I can honestly tell you that in the 25 years that I have put on races, I have not cut costs on vital expenses for the races and can guarantee you that it did not happen in this year's Ironman Canada either. It was basic human error and errors that I will personally see to it that do not happen again.

Thank you,

Graham Fraser

https://www.pbandjcoaching.com
https://www.thisbigroadtrip.com
Quote Reply
Post deleted by SoberBySaturday [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: SoberBySaturday: Sep 3, 11 7:53
Re: IMC Apology Email [Jaymz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The apology mentions shortage of water on the bike course, but wasn't there also a shortage on the run course?

-----------------------------------------------------------
"No more hurting people - Peace"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry, adding another piece of plastic to the back of the "medal" does not mean their original choice wasn't cheapo!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At least the guy offered an apology.

Quote | Reply
Graham Fraser is a class act and IMC is a great event. He will fix these issues.
Quote Reply
Re: IMC Apology Email [spacebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spacebabe wrote:
Sorry, adding another piece of plastic to the back of the "medal" does not mean their original choice wasn't cheapo!

I think the front part is metal? The plastic backing makes it look like its all plastic. The lanyard is also worse than last years too. BUT .... at least an apology was offered. Trying to guess how much extra fluid would be needed must have been a tough call and if the medals were a screw up on the part of the manufacturer then .....

Quote Reply
Re: IMC Apology Email [Reparto Corse] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Reparto Corse wrote:
Graham Fraser is a class act and IMC is a great event. He will fix these issues.

X100...I love this race. Stuff sucked for some people and I get that, but I have had two of the most amazing, life changing days at this event. We do it because it's supposed to be hard. Loved Jordan's speech!

Can't wait for next year!

Brent

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Re: IMC Apology Email [dfru] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dfru wrote:
I have had two of the most amazing, life changing days at this event

2 days? I thought you looked faster than that! Isn't the cut off 17 hours?

You should try my version of IMC, it's the new black: 3.8km swim, 180km ride, 19km run, 2km walk, 20 minute soak in the lake at OK Falls, hitchhike 21km.

No medal though which kind of sucks. You'd think they would have at least something, it's not easy hitching a lift when you're soaking wet and smell like a whores dustbin. Unless they revisit the medal allocation I will just try the usual IMC course next year.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dfru wrote:
X100...I love this race. Stuff sucked for some people and I get that, but I have had two of the most amazing, life changing days at this event. We do it because it's supposed to be hard. Loved Jordan's speech!

Can't wait for next year!

Brent

I've completed IMC in 02, 04, & 11 and I'm sitting here today thinking about signing up for 12. IMC is a very special event for me...I want to go back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you're planning on signing up for 2012, don't wait too long! General entry is now sold out but you can still get a community fund slot starting 9/5.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I understand people make mistakes. This doesn't excuse poor customer service. They (North American Sports) also ran out of chip anklets and told me to purchase one for $5 or come back the next day. I came back the next day and was directed to the volunteers supervisor. He told me they didn't have any and I had to purchase one. I explained that I already paid $650 or whatever it was last year and it's standard for the event to provide a means to attach the chip to the athlete. He told me, "That's not my problem." I get it's only $5, it's the principle that bothers me and the poor customer service. NAS made the mistake, they should fix it. When comparing Rev3, WTC, and NAS experiences, I would choose Rev3 as more positive. Oh, and the finish medal thing is busted biscuit.
On a positive note, it's a beautiful area and the volunteers were awesome.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Reparto Corse wrote:

X2.
I've raced IM all over the world and I keep coming back to IMC (24X) because this community and race organization take great pride in putting on the best ultra distance triathlon out there. This is the same group that managed to put on the race when half the Okanagan valley was on fire. I honestly believe this was an honest mistake; a very unfortunate one for some competitors, but just a mistake. And when Graham says he's going to fix the problem, I have no reason to doubt him. I am looking forward to my silver anniversary at IMC in 2012 and fully expect it to be another great event.
Quote Reply
Re: IMC Apology Email [heliskyr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
heliskyr wrote:
If you're planning on signing up for 2012, don't wait too long! General entry is now sold out but you can still get a community fund slot starting 9/5.

Finally...the race most have sold out this morning.
Quote Reply
Re: IMC Apology Email [omnivore] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The proceeds for the $5 velcro strap they were providing was going to a local charity if it makes you feel any better.

Raf
http://www.shutuplegs.org
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
omnivore wrote:
I understand people make mistakes. This doesn't excuse poor customer service. They (North American Sports) also ran out of chip anklets and told me to purchase one for $5 or come back the next day. I came back the next day and was directed to the volunteers supervisor. He told me they didn't have any and I had to purchase one. I explained that I already paid $650 or whatever it was last year and it's standard for the event to provide a means to attach the chip to the athlete. He told me, "That's not my problem." I get it's only $5, it's the principle that bothers me and the poor customer service. NAS made the mistake, they should fix it. When comparing Rev3, WTC, and NAS experiences, I would choose Rev3 as more positive. Oh, and the finish medal thing is busted biscuit.

There has never been "free" chip bands at IMC; the poor volunteer must have misunderstood protocol or perhaps was responding in kind with your attitude. And did you read the apology letter? There was a screwup with the medals. I suppose they could have sent them back and given you a coupon for a real one once the manufacturer fixed the problem. It's not like you actually wear the thing.

HTFU - you're an Ironman for heavens sake - deal with it and let the rest of us enjoy our experience without a bunch of negativity.

Wanda
Quote Reply
Re: IMC Apology Email [Wanda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wanda wrote:
omnivore wrote:

There has never been "free" chip bands at IMC; the poor volunteer must have misunderstood protocol or perhaps was responding in kind with your attitude. And did you read the apology letter? There was a screwup with the medals. I suppose they could have sent them back and given you a coupon for a real one once the manufacturer fixed the problem. It's not like you actually wear the thing.

HTFU - you're an Ironman for heavens sake - deal with it and let the rest of us enjoy our experience without a bunch of negativity.

-------

x2..I agree Wanda....

Look guys,there were some serious mistakes..shit happens and I'm sure we will never know the real reasons behind what went on.

Those of you with serious gripes can take it up with Graham through the correct channels and the rest of us can let it go.
----
Last edited by: Ultra-tri-guy: Sep 3, 11 10:14
Quote Reply
Re: IMC Apology Email [Wanda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ahahhahha...I'm sorry to get you so riled up on Saturday morning!
Before I inquired about the an anklet, I was told by a volunteer that the free anklets were out, but they would be able to sell me one. Yes, I understood that $1 went to charity, not the entirety of the profit. As for my attitude, it was affable. The fact that the event organisers did not plan properly is not the fault of the volunteers - so why would they deserve to receive any unpleasantness from anyone?
HTFU? If I pay for a service, I would expect to get it, not attitude why they can't or aren't providing what I paid for. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a question about the medals. Does anyone really care?
I've got a bunch of them hanging in the corner of a room. I have never really gone back to look at them; i don't wear them around; nor do I intend to display them in any kind of video.

Does the medal really even matter? Just shove a beer in my hand at the finish and I'm good.
Quote Reply
Re: IMC Apology Email [SoberBySaturday] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SoberBySaturday wrote:
lot of human error for one WTC/IM event

Totally agree!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess when it rains it pours -- 25 years of experience running this race and this stuff happens? You would think they would have it figured out by now. Medals arriving one week before the race? Miscalculation of water? In addtion, they mis-calculated the VAT this year and tried to re-charge everyone for the additional taxes (in my opinion, you make a mistake like this, you eat it, not cool to try to re-charge people after the fact). From my view, this sure looks like a pattern of mistakes and some very poor planning.

I'm still chapped I sent a $25 check to NAS for a copy of race video in 2009 since I couldn't attend the closing banquet and I never got one.. I have followed up multiple times with e-mails and phone calls, nothing -- my experience has not been positive with NAS. I think I have a bigger gripe than the chip strap guy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
x1000

Graham is a class act. He is also an athlete like US. He's done several sub 10 hour Ironmans....he "gets" what we experience. He's just not some faceless RD that is part of a giant corporate machine.

Dev
Quote Reply
Re: IMC Apology Email [Bumble Bee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bumble Bee wrote:
I have a question about the medals. Does anyone really care?
I've got a bunch of them hanging in the corner of a room. I have never really gone back to look at them; i don't wear them around; nor do I intend to display them in any kind of video.

Does the medal really even matter? Just shove a beer in my hand at the finish and I'm good.

I'm sure for some it does. The people who do it only once or it is a major accomplishment. Maybe they are saving them to show their kids or as a token to remember the event by.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
omnivore wrote:

Drop the organizers and race director a note explaining this issue. Pointing it out on ST forums is an exercise in futility. It won't get fixed for next year if people don't raise a bit of a stink with the appropriate authorities.

---------------------------------------------------------
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -- A fake Albert Einstein "quote"
Quote Reply
Re: IMC Apology Email [Bumble Bee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Obviously, the medals matter, or they wouldn't exist. Even people, who presumably don't care, haven't thrown them out. It's the Wizard of Oz syndrome. Personally, I like the cute little gumball-machine-style medal with the cheap-ass ribbon. It's a glaring reminder that the Wizard doesn't define us.

It's difficult to take Graham seriously, because an apology, without remedy was proffered. The customers' interests have been damaged. A refund for those affected by a water shortage, and an exchange for those interested in fancy medals seem like appropriate remedies.
Quote Reply

Prev Next