Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IMAZ RR - 58/4:59/3:00
Quote | Reply
(Pictures included on the blog - link in the sig below).

"What do you need?"
"Sucks, man."
"At least you look good!"
"Are you OK?"
"Sorry - don't have an extra wheel on me."

These are some of the things that athletes were saying as they rode by as I sat stranded on the side of the road at mile 90 of Ironman Arizona this past weekend with an exploded tube, shredded tire and chunked-up carbon wheel laying next to me.

------

With all due respect to every athlete that competes in an Ironman, my go-round at Arizona was - in my mind - going to be an "easy" day en route to qualifying for Kona 2013. I had recently placed top 5 in my age group at the world championship in Hawaii five weeks earlier and was having a great year of race results. In the back of my mind, at the bottom of my list of goals for this race, was that I could potentially go 8:50 if the day unfolded the way I thought it could. I was confident as ever in my swim, knew that I didn't have to crush the bike to ride near the front of the field and had a plan on how to execute a 3:00 run. My dad was there for my second straight Ironman and I think we were both excited with what the day could bring.

SWIM (58:23 - IM swim PR by nearly 4-1/2 minutes):

I lined up left in the very front row next to the big yellow Tyr inflatable buoy. After repeated attempts to de-fog my goggles, I just had to resign myself to the fact that they weren't going to stay clear. That's what you get for wearing rainbow colored goggles.

When the cannon blew, I just swam toward the brightest part of the sky since the sun wasn't up yet. A kick to the face resulted in the section cup affect with my goggles to my left eye. A couple of minutes later however, I got punched in the same eye which resulted in my goggles resuming to normal suction. I was on the buoy line pretty much the whole way up to the turnaround, even staying slightly to the left of some of them along the way up. When I got to the turnaround, I got to experience something I never have at an Ironman before: absolutely empty water at the turn buoy. It was almost scary - like when the lady at the beginning of Jaws is swimming all by herself near the ringing harbor marker...but this is fresh water, so I had nothing to worry about, especially since I'm not a hot blonde swimming naked in the ocean.

I hugged the big red buoy on my turn and headed across the lake to start the return trip back to land. With a couple hundred meters to go before the Mill Avenue bridge, I came up on another dude doing his best Matt Grevers imitation since he was casually doing backstroke as I'm splashing around like a labrador chasing a tennis ball in the water. This incident made me think twice about how fast I thought I was going.

After nearly crashing head first into the cement base of the first Mill Ave bridge, I was able to safely navigate my way to the exit stairs where the volunteer to whom I swam (an honest "thank you" for being out there) decided that it would be best that if I got out of the water on my own.

I did my best Simian running approach up the stairs to see that I had set a 4-1/2 minute IM PR in the swim with a 58:23 and 6th in the M35-39 AG. A HUGE thanks to Nineteen Wetsuits for supporting me this year. The Rogue is one fast, sleek and comfortable suit.

Utilized the wetsuit strippers, which took all of about 2-1/2 seconds and meandered my way around and through T1 where I was quickly able to snatch up my gear bag, which I had totally blacked out with duct tape so it would be easily recognizable. I didn't even have to break stride while picking up my bag.

T1 was simple enough - had an empty tent & my choice of chairs. Got everything situated and bolted out toward my bike. I was pretty quick through transition and I wasn't anywhere near as cold as I thought I would be upon exiting the water.

BIKE (4:59.40 - 224NP @ 167lbs (4:46.05 actual moving time))

So with Kona only a few weeks ago and knowing that running two marathons in the span of five weeks (let alone two Ironman marathons) is not particularly easy, my plan was to pretty much ride by feel - and thinking that somewhere in the neighborhood of 225-230w would be what felt right for the day. For comparison, my goal at Kona was to ride 245-250 and ended up riding 247w.

The benefit to coming out of the water that quickly was that I could pretty much ride with my head down staring at the white line. Plus, I was nose to the wind, which is how I love to ride...open road to myself with no worries about packs and the drafting that can ensue. I passed whom I'll simply call Mr. Kitty b/c I think he had what looked to be "MEOW" on the assback of his kit. I wanted to meow at him but a) that probably would have been a little strange (if it was a chick, different story) and b) my voice wasn't really functioning due to a cough that had hit me in the days leading into the race. I hit the turnaround at the top of the Beeline in 55 minutes at 235w. Perfect, I thought. Maybe a little slow, but there was a touch of a side headwind on the way out. On the way back down to town, it was a bit quick, so I dialed back on the power and what was 55 minutes on the way out was 39 minutes on the way back on 15 less watts. One third of the way through the ride, I'm sitting at 230w and was feeling groovy.

Second lap, same as the first. Bam!

The third lap started off just smashing. Felt good, calories were going down smoothly. Peed a couple of times. Was taking in a good amount of water considering the air was dry as my humor. Considering I was primarily riding by feel, the watts were reading a little lower, but I wasn't too concerned since I went through the first 2/3 of the ride at 4:45 pace on 230w. I figured I would be able to cruise the third lap at 215-220w and still come in between 4:45 and 4:50 depending on what the wind was doing.

Came up to about mile 90 3:45 into the ride and kablammo! Front tube exploded, came completely out of the tire and started wrapping itself around the right skewer and wheel spokes. This blew out the sidewall of my tire and all of a sudden I'm riding 20+MPH on two very thin rails of carbon. I had just passed someone, so I did my best to veer off to the side of the road without a) crashing and b) taking anyone else out. I then encountered what most people call rumble strips. But on the Beeline, they're more accurately described as 12" long x 3" wide x 2" deep potholes. It was a miracle that I didn't do an endo while coming to a teeth chattering stop. But in the process, several small chunks were taken out of my front wheel.

There I was, pretty much helpless since I needed a new tire and wheel to keep going. It was at this point where I tried to simply remain calm since there was really nothing I had control over other than drinking the water I still had on the bike and taking in some calories. I sat down and started thinking about next season...what was this going to mean? What races would I now sign up for? Would I go pro if Kona was taken off the table? (That's a discussion for another whole blog post...so spare me the "why don't you go pro" question for the time being). Should I start walking? Can I walk 20 miles in bike shoes before the time cutoff? ...then run 26.2? The thought makes my spine tingle.

So rather than having a pity party for myself, I started clapping and encouraging other riders at this point. I needed to stay positive and really, this was making me feel better. If I couldn't race, I was going to at least show some support for the people who were competing. I saw some of my competition roll by and well...they looked good.

I'd say after roughly 11-12 minutes of no forward progress, a headlight appeared coming around the corner of the highway. Low and behold, it was bike tech support and she happened to have a spare front wheel ready for use. Hooray - I'm not going to be stranded out here! I gave her my busted wheel and carnage of rubber and got the new wheel tightened up and was on my way. I got very lucky to say the least.

For the remainder of the ride, I didn't panic, didn't force any numbers from the legs, passed Mr. Kitty again since he passed me when I was sitting idle, kept hydrating and fueling and continued to ride by feel. My rough calculations still had me coming in at under 5:00 for the ride and I felt that regardless of what anyone else rode, that I would be running them down. The last hour of the ride, was at 213NP - so not forcing the issue.

I came into T2, grabbed my other blacked out bag without breaking stride and headed into the tent. Visor, Fuel Belt, Garmin and shoes on (double top secret special 2014 Newtons), Out the gate and got lathered up with some sunscreen and bolted out of there.

RUN (3:00.40 - IM run PR by 1:40)

The first couple of miles of an IM marathon are always kind of confusing. First of all, I felt like I was running through molasses, but the watch told me that I ran the first mile in 6:40.

"OK, buddy - time to ease up on the gas and be smart about this thing. Keep the cadence quick and the strides short and slow down a bit...be confident and smart."

I think too many people run scared those first few miles of the marathon and it *always* comes back to bite them in the end. I just wanted to run steady for 20 miles and see what I could dig out from inside of me for those last several miles to the finish.

I was running to plan and really had to work hard to keep my pace in check, especially starting at about mile 6, which is where I started to feel like I might have something special coming out of my legs today.

I was liberally using sponges and ice and dumping water over my head. I was putting the sponges down my jersey and every now and then, I'd squeeze a little water out of them - the action probably looked like I was feeling myself up. I even had a lady call me spongeboob.

Thinking is not something that I really do when I run - I'm good at zoning out and just running. But with all the planes flying overhead, I started playing a game: "where is this plane coming from?" OK - that one's coming from Denver...that's a bigger one - maybe it's coming from Hawaii...Kona even. That's an American plane? Chicago or Dallas. This was working until about mile 14 or 15 when I just started to feel like a rockstar. Coming up to an aid station at this point, I thought I heard Thunderstruck by AC/DC coming out of the speakers. This got me really jacked up and I started grunting the word thunder. I must have freaked some people out as I was doing this. But low and behold, I came up to the aid station it something horrific like Journey was playing instead. How the heck could I mistake Journey for AC/DC?! It was at this point where I think my ears started to bleed.
As I approached the last hill in Papago Park, I held back just a touch so that I wouldn't push myself over the edge going too hard at mile 23.

When I got to the bottom of the hill and started heading back east along the lake, I tried to pick up the pace a bit and passed the 3rd place women's pro while crossing the bridge before heading into the last stretch into the finish. As I came into the chute, I spotted my dad and gave him a big hug before walking it in with a 9:03 finish. 3rd place in M35-39AG, 4th amateur and my sixth straight Kona qualification. Here are the mile splits:

6:40, 6:57, 6:59, 7:02, 6:59, 7:06, 7:00, 6:59, 7:04, 6:47, 6:49, 6:53, 6:53, 6:53, 6:50, 6:41, 6:53, 6:50, 6:46, 7:00, 6:58, 6:56, 7:08, 6:53, 6:46, 6:31, 6:27 for last .2

NUTRITION BREAKDOWN:

*Pre race dinner: Chili's Full Rack of Ribs, Fries and a 22oz Sam Adams. (ritual)
*Breakfast: Pancakes, coffee, banana, 240 cals of UCAN
*Water and banana pre-race.
*Bike: 3 bottles each containing 360 cals of UCAN (1080 total for the ride). I think I took in 4 or 5 of the water bottles they were handing out on the course.
*Run: 2-1/2 flasks of water GU Roctane mix. Each flask contained 3 gels (100 cals each)
*Rough total for the race: 1800 cals total.

EQUIPMENT:

*Swim: Nineteen Rogue wetsuit
*Bike: Scott Plasma 3 Premium, ISM Adamo TT saddle, Zipp 404/808 FC clinchers with Wheelbuilder aero jacket, Power Tap, Continental GP 4000s, Vittoria Latex tubes, 54/42 FSA TT chainrings, 12/27 cassette
*Run: Yet-to-be-released unnamed Newton model. They're light and fast.

Re: IMAZ RR - 58/4:59/3:00 [darkhorsetri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Top stuff Steve - you looked in control every time I saw you on the run course. Love seeing your mile splits!

VALÄ’RE | YouTube
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello darkhorsetri and All,

Nice write up ... and race ..... going well ...... disaster strikes ........ help arrives ......... happy ending!

Thanks for posting.

Cheers,

Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great report Steve. *Appears* like you did do it 'easy' in the end - well under control, cool under fire. Bam. Impressive stuff.

Coaching - Future Endurance
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DaveRoche would be proud.

Congrats.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Steve, I totally saw you you in that Newton kit out on the bike at the turnaround, I was there with my wife and friends cheering people on. Way to overcome my man!

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great report. I always learn something from every report, especially from the fast guys. Fantastic job out there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
holy hell, nice race.

2014 newtons? What about the 2013 versions? any clues as to what the changes will be?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for your report, and more importantly congrats on keeping the bike upright and coming out of that without a major crash given the rumble "potholes". If I read your report correct, you take in around 1000 cals on the bike (so 200 cals per hour) ? How much sodium in each of those bottle of UCAN? Similar nutrition for Kona 6 weeks ago or more sodium?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats on a solid day! I had a terrible swim and spent the first lap looking for you as I knew you'd be the "front" of the race. Then I spent 26.2 miles looking over my shoulder for you. Enjoy the down time and good luck in Kona. I had to pass on the spot for the second year in a row. Just don't have the cash.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats on not losing it after the bike issue and finishing strong! People like you make IM look easy!

------------------
My business-eBodyboarding.com
Quote Reply
Re: IMAZ RR - 58/4:59/3:00 [wheels2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear that you don't have the cash to use your KQ. I lament when I see people who qualify for Kona pass up due to cash. Money can always be earned, but the fitness for a KQ attempt and then executing may not always happen. Hopefully it will be no problem getting another slot in the future. I am sure you made someone else quite happy!
Quote Reply
Re: IMAZ RR - 58/4:59/3:00 [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is tough to take but I guess that's life. Who can afford things and who can't. Having raced Kona 3 times (09,10,11) I feel like as an AGer, I've sort of "done it" and have a hard time justifying $3-4k on a yearly basis. Going to AZ this year cost me $900 including the race and I had just as much fun.

Having said that. I am also racing 2013 as a pro because its the cheaper option and will allow me to race 1-2 more times per year, so Kona will be off the table for at least 2-4 years.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wheels2 wrote:
It is tough to take but I guess that's life. Who can afford things and who can't. Having raced Kona 3 times (09,10,11) I feel like as an AGer, I've sort of "done it" and have a hard time justifying $3-4k on a yearly basis. Going to AZ this year cost me $900 including the race and I had just as much fun.

Having said that. I am also racing 2013 as a pro because its the cheaper option and will allow me to race 1-2 more times per year, so Kona will be off the table for at least 2-4 years.

Having provided that context of going every year for the past 3, your decision makes sense (not like you need to go again) and best wishes on racing pro in the next few years.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm pretty sure I know who "mr. Kitty" is and I sent him a link to your RR. We use the same coach who will (from time to time and only when appropriate) send a single word reply to a training report with a bit too much complaining...

I had some visors made up for kona 2011 with the word "meow" underneath the red circle with a line thru it.

Nice season. Congrats.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good luck racing as a pro. It is the cheaper way to go and your times due warrant that you belong in that division. I am glad I don't have to race you next year at Arizona because you are in my age group and I really want a Kona spot. If I get the Kona spot it will be my first time. Missed Kona by 85 sec back in 2011 at Arizona.

Jeremy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great race report darkhorsetri. Staying positive during the hard times is something that makes these races challenging.

Jeremy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AwesOme - must have been the ribs!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is Mr Kitty... It's not like ur kit was better with the pink compression and neon green/pink Newton kit ;-). I was bummed for u on that flat, but seeing support pull up was a great sign.
See post 15 by Special Steve about the meaning of the MEOW. .BTW checks dig the meow.. I wonder if they understand the reference..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Man, you are an absolute beast on the bike and run!!! I'm guessing you do not come from a swimming background though. I would think someone with your obviously big aerobic engine could swim 50-ish in a wetsuit-legal IM swim. Please do not take this as a criticism at all but rather I am genuinely curious as to how you feel about your swimming, i.e. are you comfortable in the water??? Do you have a good feel for the water, i.e., do you feel like you're pushing a dinner plate through the water even without using paddles??? I use this analogy because this is how my pull on freestyle, back, breast, and fly, feels when I'm pulling close to all out. Do you think you can go faster with more swim training??? At your level, giving up 8 to 12 min on the swim is pretty huge but I've known several top guys who had the same issue and just never seemed to be able to bring their swim up to the level of their bike and run. I've never quite understood why and this is why I'm asking these questions. Again, no criticism intended at all; it may be that you just have never found the proper coach to help you get your swim faster. You're the type of guy who could drop 5 min off his IM swim over the course of a winter's training. Thanks, Eric.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: IMAZ RR - 58/4:59/3:00 [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
Man, you are an absolute beast on the bike and run!!! I'm guessing you do not come from a swimming background though. I would think someone with your obviously big aerobic engine could swim 50-ish in a wetsuit-legal IM swim. Please do not take this as a criticism at all but rather I am genuinely curious as to how you feel about your swimming, i.e. are you comfortable in the water??? Do you have a good feel for the water, i.e., do you feel like you're pushing a dinner plate through the water even without using paddles??? I use this analogy because this is how my pull on freestyle, back, breast, and fly, feels when I'm pulling close to all out. Do you think you can go faster with more swim training??? At your level, giving up 8 to 12 min on the swim is pretty huge but I've known several top guys who had the same issue and just never seemed to be able to bring their swim up to the level of their bike and run. I've never quite understood why and this is why I'm asking these questions. Again, no criticism intended at all; it may be that you just have never found the proper coach to help you get your swim faster. You're the type of guy who could drop 5 min off his IM swim over the course of a winter's training. Thanks, Eric.

Correct, I do not have a swimming background but have made some solid improvements over the last year or so. I am comfortable in the water and I'm starting to get what I think is better feel for the water and it seems like I'm picking up new things every day. I have certainly had that dinner plate sensation before, but not all the time. And yes, I feel that I can go faster with more swim training over the next couple of seasons. I'm inching my way there!

Re: IMAZ RR - 58/4:59/3:00 [dongustav] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can't really say much about the shoes I had on my feet other than what you might be able to discern from the pictures. They're light. :)

Some of the '13 models may be out as early as late Dec/early Jan (don't quote me on that, though) - no major changes as far as I'm aware...other than the color schemes, which are pretty hot.

Be on the lookout for a couple of new shoes within the next year though.

Re: IMAZ RR - 58/4:59/3:00 [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Thanks for your report, and more importantly congrats on keeping the bike upright and coming out of that without a major crash given the rumble "potholes". If I read your report correct, you take in around 1000 cals on the bike (so 200 cals per hour) ? How much sodium in each of those bottle of UCAN? Similar nutrition for Kona 6 weeks ago or more sodium?

In each bottle, there's roughly 720mg of sodium and you're correct about the number of calories. I don't use any supplemental sodium/salt in the form of tabs, etc. and yes, the nutrition plan was quite similar to that of Kona.

Re: IMAZ RR - 58/4:59/3:00 [esvans] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
esvans wrote:
This is Mr Kitty... It's not like ur kit was better with the pink compression and neon green/pink Newton kit ;-). I was bummed for u on that flat, but seeing support pull up was a great sign.
See post 15 by Special Steve about the meaning of the MEOW. .BTW checks dig the meow.. I wonder if they understand the reference..

I don't wear that kit for looks - I wear it for comfort. :)

Quote | Reply
darkhorsetri wrote:
ericmulk wrote:

Correct, I do not have a swimming background but have made some solid improvements over the last year or so. I am comfortable in the water and I'm starting to get what I think is better feel for the water and it seems like I'm picking up new things every day. I have certainly had that dinner plate sensation before, but not all the time. And yes, I feel that I can go faster with more swim training over the next couple of seasons. I'm inching my way there!

Great, glad to hear you're picking up new things every day. The dinner plate feeling is huge!!!

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply