Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
IF you could only have 1 set of wheels...
Quote | Reply

For training and racing, would you rather;

Train on tubulars, or race on clinchers?
Quote Reply
Re: IF you could only have 1 set of wheels... [mn_leaf_fan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Race on clinchers (nice ones though). Tubies are simply too much hassle for training, they need to be pumped up before every ride, dealing with the hassle (and expense) of flats. no thanks.

I've raced on clinchers for the last three years. I don't miss my tubs at all.

Jason
Quote Reply
Re: IF you could only have 1 set of wheels... [jasonk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The question was "If I could only have one set of wheels?"...

They would be Mavic Open 4CD 32 spoke, 3 cross, double butted with brass nipples. On a Campy Record hub of course.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Clinchers, if they are light, fast and flat resistant. I don't see much difference between the best sew ups and the best clinchers these days.

Some people like to talk about how they love the "feel" of a nice tubular, but they don't mention anything about liking the "feel" of glue on their skin. For sew up lovers that may be the best reason to shave their legs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tubular Ksyrium SSC SLs. Too bad they don;t do 650c's.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is a no brainer. Buy a Computrainer, save your life and train indoors, and also buy a pair of Zipp 404s, in tubular of course. Why would I take a chance with my life on a pair of clinchers? I can't believe you guys....clinchers?! <sniffs>

:),

-Robert

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~Anne Frank
Quote Reply
Re: IF you could only have 1 set of wheels... [Robert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mavic reflex rims Dura Face cost to much hubs 32 butted and soldered in the rear spokes Real TUFO tubbies ,real glue all the time rideing wheels.I don't know any better ride. I don't know how much they weigh but they look light and thats all that counts ! OH clinchers on the kids bikes. HE HE HE
Quote Reply
Re: IF you could only have 1 set of wheels... [dirtball!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
:)

So there is no real consensus! Some votes for tubbies, some for clinchers.

Several 'wheel' votes are for very non-aero choices? I would have thought people would pick a more mid-deep wheel like a Zipp 303.......

The reason I am asking is that I am considering a new bike, and can get the wheels upgraded for a 'reasonable' amount. If I 'just' get the training wheels, then I may never be able to justify a second set of wheels ( two sets of wheels, tires, QR's, cassettes ).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Take a look at the new Rolf Prima Vigors. They are a semi-deep aloy rim, 34mm deep, with paired spoke technology. They should be pretty fast and durable they are also very light at 1425g. I believe they only come in a clincher for now but if your going to be training on them I think clinchers are a better way to go. For a pure racing wheel go Tubular all else go clincher.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think you would want to go with the 303s. The 404s are stronger, more aero and more comfortable. A bit heavier, but that is by far outweighed by the other factors if you only have one wheelset.

Gerard Vroomen
3T.bike
OPEN cycle
Quote Reply
Re: IF you could only have 1 set of wheels... [gerard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a set of Spinergy Tilium's with Michelin Pro Race clinchers, I think they are a great all-around wheel set.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Re: The reason I am asking is that I am considering a new bike, and can get the wheels upgraded for a 'reasonable' amount. If I 'just' get the training wheels, then I may never be able to justify a second set of wheels ( two sets of wheels, tires, QR's, cassettes ).

That's a whole different story. You should use the 'upgrade' to get your race wheels with your new bike. Typically the shop will give you a better deal on expensive wheels if you're getting them with a new bike. You can then buy a cheap set of trainers like some Mavic Open Pro 32 spokes with Ultegra hubs for a song with very little justification required. That's what I would do. Better yet, have them give you a deal on the cheap training wheels at the same time you buy the bike and race wheels and you might save even more- plus it's all one big check so it's easier to explain to the significant other :-)
Quote Reply
Re: IF you could only have 1 set of wheels... [jkatsoudas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chance with your life on clincher's? What on gods green earth are you talking about......

"You're guaranteed to miss 100% of the shots you never take" - Wayne Gretzky
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Zipp 404 clinchers. I've been riding them full time for two years. They're absolutely great, and I don't have to worry about changing wheels all the time. I just got a Renn disc, now I'll have all the crap that the rest of you have; "should I use my race wheels, the disc today or the Zipp? Who knows!" Such problems, somehow I'll manage.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! đŸ˜‚ '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: IF you could only have 1 set of wheels... [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is the Zipp 404 strong enough to train on? I would be interested in Tom D's opinion on this....

Quote Reply
Re: IF you could only have 1 set of wheels... [flytri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually, 404 clinchers are what I am leaning towards. I just wondered about how much maintenance they would require. Could also get expensive if I crash them alot.... although I've never broken a wheel.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Could also get expensive if I crash them alot....
Dude, if you're crashing that much you've got bigger problems than just selecting a wheelset... Is your last name Hamilton by any chance?

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mn-leaf. dude having a set of 404's as your only wheels when funds are a concern strikes me as a fairly crazy way to go about things. they are great, strong and light and fast and all - but they were never intended as everyday 'only' type wheels. you will have problems down the road - at the very least you will ding up and hack-job and generally trash something that is Fine, and that is never good. you will wish you would have popped the extra 150 bucks for some trainers. if i might be so bold, i will say that if you cannot afford a set of 105 hubbed wheels or similar along with those 404's you cannot afford the 404's.

or, as an alternative to the trainer/404 plan the idea above about a true everyday middle of road alu wheel such as the vigor was not a bad idea, IMHO. or similar such as the K's tom suggested ( not sew ups tho - God almighty that battle was lost long ago for everyman everyday use.....please). to these you could add a renn disc later and there you would be - fast and durable.
Last edited by: t-t-n: Sep 3, 03 18:52
Quote Reply
Re: IF you could only have 1 set of wheels... [t-t-n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know--I've had a pair of 404 clinchers for the last two years--11000 miles last year and 7400 so far this year and never had a problem--great to race on and great to train on.....

RC

Randy Christofferson(http://www.rcmioga.blogspot.com

Insert Doubt. Erase Hope. Crush Dreams.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I didn't say funds are a concern, I said I would have trouble justifying race only wheels. ( at least that's what I meant to say :) )
It just doesn't seem cost effective to have $1500 worth of wheels hanging on the wall except for 5-10 days a year.
I guess I am thinking, if are going to get nice stuff, you might as well use it and get your moneys worth!

I realize that one might want 'extra' wheels for specific race conditions ( like a disk ), but for someone like me ( who will never be in the top 10 ), is having only one set of (really!) nice general purpose wheels a reasonable idea.

BTW. Thanks for all the great comments. When I started this thread, I didn't think I'd nearly this response.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would train and race on clinchers as I already do: I train with my stock Ritchey DS wheels that came on my Cervelo One and race on clincher Hed H3 and Renn Disc.

If I had to decide for only one wheel I probably choose the HED Alps (clincher).

Felix

http://www.weilenmann.ch.vu
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mn-leaf.

....."but for someone like me ( who will never be in the top 10 ), is having only one set of (really!) nice general purpose wheels a reasonable idea. "........

say brother, i agree with you here. i think it depends on how a fellow describes "general purpose" or even " everyday". to me, that means stuff you put on and forget about. ride them in the dark, dodging 'possums and hitting potholes. ride them in groups, with rocks and sticks kicking up from the gutter and pinging off them. ride them in the spring, thru the road salt and grime and cold rain. ride them on weekend roadies, where you jam them into a buddies hatchback under his bike and maybe another guy's and the pedals bounce around on them. ride them in traffic, on the brakes and bunny hopping curbs as needed. maybe you do not do these things - if you do i will still say that doing all that on a set of 404's is crazy. if you just break out on nice days for a fine romp and you just want to see the phone poles go past nice and fast then have at 'er, bud!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
t-t-n -

I see your point. But it makes me wonder what the difference is between nice wheels and the super nice frames, seatposts, carbon aerobars, etc that people don't hesitate to ride every day? Don't they get dinged, splashed, banged and crashed too?
So should everyone have a Cervelo One for training and a P3 for racing? ( Although, I'm sure Gerard would appreciate this! :) )
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mn-leaf. in this i do see a difference. a fancy frame does not care if you ride in grime and salt and rain in the gutter for 50 miles in march. wash it when you get home and it is as good as new. titanuim spokes threaded into alloy nipples in the grimy spray do care. a nice frame does not care if you miss your buddy at the front of the paceline signalling a pothole, or he kicks up a bunch of stones and maybe a stick at 28 mph. a featherweight carbon rim 45 mm tall does care, as it takes the hit and ding and chip and so does one of the 16 spokes which just jammed that stick into the seatstays. a really nice frame does not care if you are on the brakes everyday dodging cars and doing umpteen hill repeats with a T-junction stop at the bottom of each one. the thin machined and bonded braking surface on a set of race wheels never really had that in mind. etc. there is a difference in things that are made nice, and things that are made nice AND pared down to their essential elements for speed. consider - if you were gonna buy these wheels from e-bay what would you want to know most of all ? probably whether or not the dude beat on them everyday, correct ?? :) anyway bud, that is the way i use stuff, and see it. have fun either way. :)
Last edited by: t-t-n: Sep 4, 03 6:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What would be a better wheel set if one wanted to spend the money to race/train on them? The Zipp 404 or the HED Alps in clincher. Which would hold up better?

Thanks,

Quote Reply

Prev Next