Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IDITAROD RACE REPORT #2; Byline Yukon King
Quote | Reply
Yukon King here, lead dog in three prior Iditarod's, with todays RRRRace RRRReport. Make no mistake, we epitomize the endurance athlete--we pee on your Ironman Races! Bred, trained, special diets, and if we show promise, sometimes they don't cut our nuts off! Yes, I know these races seem a little hard on the humans, special clothes, hats, gloves, diets, etc. just to survive, and, yes, sometimes we dogs make a miscalculation and they wind up getting rolled-over down an embankment with a few broken bones, or drowned in a frigid pond, but you can tell by the look on their faces that they love it. In fact, they are bred for it--many of these humans are second and third generation mushers.

Anyhowl--(get it???)--here are some more pictures taken as the race unfolds.

Here Blind musher Rachael Scordis leaves the Willow Restart line as the last musher to leave. This is not a joke, and I must admit I am not exactly sure how this works.

Here are some of my buddies. It might look like they are a little disorganized, but they are just playing "Cats-in-the-Cradle". Drives the human's heart rate up about 20 beats, then we form up and off we go!

Here are a couple of my buddies with one of the Women Mushers--Got room in the Hottie Thread?

Sometimes we show our appreciation and offer encouragement--

That's all for now. See you tomorrow!
Last edited by: Monk: Mar 8, 05 11:04
Quote Reply
Re: IDITAROD RACE REPORT #2; Byline Yukon King [Monk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the report, King. I used to own a really great sled dog, so I have a soft spot in my heart for these things.

Mush!

Quote | Reply
OK. I followed up on Rachel. I believe that her vision is 20/200, or that may have been the best it ever was. I didn't belabor it, point is, she is legally blind. Here is how it works, as required by the Iditarod Board (or whatever it is called):

"Rachael would be allowed run the 1,200 mile continuous race and its qualifiers with a visual interpreter who, driving a second dog team and communicating via two-way radio, would ride ahead of Rachael to warn her of obstacles such as low hanging branches, broken ice and even moose on the trail. These are obstacles that a normally sighted musher would be able to see."

She is pretty neat. Here is her website:

http://www.rachaelmushing.com/

Doesn't measure up to sleeping in a bathtub for 60 hours while an autopilot flies you around the world on a jet engine, and meanwhile you have a headache for part of the way, but impressive nonetheless.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the update...
btw, Rachel S.'s visual interpreter is a former pro wrestler, Paul Ellering. He is actually an Iditarod veteran. Still, driving a dog team can be tricky and very physical, even when you can see the trail. But apparently she has been sled racing since she was 3 yrs old (info from the Cabelas iditarod website).
Quote Reply
Re: IDITAROD RACE REPORT #2; Byline Yukon King [dogrunr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Thanks for the update...

Don't thank me, thank Yukon King. I am just posting his report for him. Otherwise, howl you know what's happening?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I believe 20/200 is about the equivalent of Marla Runyan.
Quote Reply