Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
I'm eating everything in sight!!
Quote | Reply
Does anyone have a recommendation for a safe appetite suppressant? Not only am I hungry all the time but this darn holiday season is killing me! My office has baked goods and candies everywhere... Seriously though, any suggestions?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: I'm eating everything in sight!! [Tri girl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tape The Biggest Loser and watch it 3 times a day. That should be enough to supress anyone's appetite.

Seriously though, you have 2 options. Keep a load of healthy food in your desk to graze on or seriously crank up your training. If the fire is hot enough it WILL burn Big Macs.

----------------------------------------------------------
"A society is defined not only by what it creates, but by what it refuses to destroy."
John Sawhill
Last edited by: MattinSF: Dec 15, 04 13:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tri girl,

join the club. i have a terrible sweet tooth and all of the chocolates, etc. around work are killing me! I finally have my wife trained to hide the hallowe'en candy until Oct. 31st but this time of year it is everywhere. just today i am trying a new strategy. i chopped up a big bowl of carrots and any time i have the munchies i am grabbing a few of these instead. it's not perfect but so far it is helping.

best of luck,

robert
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is off season tri girl. Enjoy Christmas time. It only comes once a year. Plenty of time to lose weight come January.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Appestat over at hammergel.com works for me sometimes, like holidays and during cold snaps, or when I'm at work surrounded by all sorts of holidays snacks (EVIL!)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Keep good foods in sight and never be hungry. Thats what works for me. In my office drawer there is always:

Couscous (fast instant meal with raisins, nuts and cinnamon when I am really hungry - Just put in a cup add boiling water - wait 3 minutes - eat)

raisins

nuts

cinnamon

Teebags

dried and fresh Fruits

Protein bar (Maxim Banana)

Powerbar (Vanilla Crisp)

When I am hungry, I eat. People know, that offering me choclates and stuff wont work, guess they think I am weird, but on the other hand, people who do triathlons (isn't that something with shooting ;-) ) are weird anyway.

When I need to snack, I will have dried fruits or nuts or a protein bar. Not optimal, but much better than the "Usual" office treats. In our country almost everyday somebody buys sweets (usually deepfried sugar balls of some kind) for the group, so saying no is not an option but a necessity. People accept that, if they are REALLY hungry, they even might ask for a powerbar :-)

In order to never run out of the good stuff, I always buy bulk. 3 kilos of apples, if I am down to one, buy the next bag (Free for everybody to take, so I dont have them alone). 24 boxes of my bars, 1kilo bags of dried fruit, 4 500g bags of couscous ...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I swear...thye fat asses at work should come with you on a race and do one along side you...perhaps that would change their own behaviors.

anyway, (sorry for the rant, but the people who bring in office junkfood are my pet peeve), if you don't have a good blen of protein for a protein shake, get some tonight. Also, get a couple of shakers (or hell take a blender to work) and have 2 shakes a day--one mid morning and one mid afternoon...this will help you to not eat the crap.

nuts, a cooler with cottage cheese and pineapple, string mozerella cheese, and baby arrots are excellent substitutes for the shit. ranch dip with your carrots will also give you alot of gratification.

remember, the way not to eat any of the crap is not to start. it's an outright war...you have to be prepared, or the fat slobs will get you down.

BE STRONG! YOU CAN DO IT!!!

kittycat
Quote Reply
Re: I'm eating everything in sight!! [MattinSF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm strangely fascinated by The Biggest Loser. I think the objective is good, but I'm not sure some of these obese people should be loading up on exercise like they are. I keep thinking one of them is going to drop dead or end up seriously injured.
Quote Reply
Re: I'm eating everything in sight!! [AmyMI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I also find the Biggest Loser to be like a train wreck, it is awful but I have to see it. A friend of mine and I ride our bikes on the trainer while we watch it every week...

Quote Reply
Re: I'm eating everything in sight!! [kittycat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, I'm glad I don't work near/with you!

"fat asses at work"
"the fat slobs will get you down"

"but the people who bring in office junkfood are my pet peeve" Do they hold a gun to people's head force feeding people?

At my office, the department celebrates birthdays with cake (except mine since they know that I won't eat it and they asked what I'd like). They also bring in doughnuts and other stuff, but they now also bring in some healthier stuff since I've been in the department. Same with the receptionists who order lunch--all my lunches are of the healthy variety.

clm, with a fatter ass than I'd like, but I still race and the ass is way less fat than last year this time

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
By New Year's day I'll be 7 lbs heavier than at the end of tri season. Then the rest of the winter I'll fight to maintain that. One year I started tri season 10 lbs heavier than the end of the previous year but was back down again at the end of that season.

It's a fact of life. I enjoy X-mas munchies and rhum/eggnog. Won't give them up for the sake of a few lbs over the holiday.
Quote Reply
Re: I'm eating everything in sight!! [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all of the suggestions. I was really hoping to use the off season to increase lean muscle, decrease body fat, etc... My lack of will power is really frustrating me!

I'm wondering if sleep deprevation also plays a part here, or if it is really irrelevant. Does anyone have facts on that??

By the way- I just picked up a pack of gum at lunch. Not very professional - but it has kept me from grazing for the past hour. :o)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pseudoephedrine (Sudafed). Safe? Mostly, so long as you don't take more than the recommended dosage. Might make you feel a little speedy, but at least you'll clean parts of your house that haven't been cleaned for 10 years.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
black coffee--tastes like crap, but it works
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't worry, I just ate a freakin' DOUBLE whopper with cheese, fries, and a strawberry milkshake. I don't know what happened, all of a sudden I was just eating. Anyway, when I'm trying to be good I drink a meal replacement shake, it usually does a good job.

Somewhat related: Have you seen "Super Size me"? Go rent it. It's a great movie to keep you away from fast food...

"How vain it is to sit down to write when you have not stood up to live."
-H.D.Thoreau
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Make a deal with yourself. Want to eat a cookie/cake/chocolate? No problem. Here, drink this liter of water first. Maybe add a couple sticks of celery to that and/or a superhigh fiber bagel. Definitely helps a lot. If it doesn't, make it TWO liters. Eventually you get to the point where that first cookie is fine, but stacked on top of all that water, you're full then.

Too f@ckin depressed from various injuries to care about having a signature line.

Sponsored by Blue Shield PPO.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just had a mchicken with super size fries and two chocolate brownies, after teaching a killer spin class. YUMM!!!

I have a saying around this time of year. IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT HAPPENS BETWEEN CHRISTMAS AND NEW YEARS, IT MATTERS WHAT HAPPENS BETWEEN NEW YEARS AND CHRISTMAS.

Have fun, enjoy the holidays, keep a modicum of control and it won't be that bad come january.

Ian MacLean
http://www.imfit.ca
Success comes when fear of failure goes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri girl,

I, too, usually add a few pounds during the "off season".

However, I've never felt the "urge to eat everything in sight" except after endurance events. My wife did, however, when she became pregnant with our son. This is a common urge experienced by many pregnant women.

Maybe you should check to rule this possibility out unless it is already out of the question.

We found out right away and then it was a quest to properly "nourish" the baby through each stage of development. It was actually fun from an educational point of view.

At least you wouldn't be "poisoning" your future child with "junk" food and stunting their development because you didn't know you were pregnant. The first trimester is particularly important for this reason.

If you were pregnant, an appetite suppressant would be the last thing you would want to ingest.

Just something to think about and not intended to offend or presume.

Ben Cline

Better to aspire to Greatness and fail, than to not challenge one's self at all, and succeed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am exactly like you. I have been making efforts though.. I want to decrease my pecentage body fat.. So with the help from my post last week, I am doing better.. Here is something that always works for me.. WRITE down everything you eat for a week or two... when comes time to eat that chocolate, sometimes just the thought of writing that down kills..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Look at your coworkers.. Most people just can't sample a little, they have to pile up the plate. Of course they say your naturally skinny but they don't see the 3+ hours of exercise we do to stay "naturally skinny". Happy Hollidays and Merry Christmas.. ooopss can we still say Christmas in the U.S.???
Quote Reply
Re: I'm eating everything in sight!! [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
"but the people who bring in office junkfood are my pet peeve" Do they hold a gun to people's head force feeding people?

I have impure thoughts in strip clubs, too--even though no one holds a gun to my head. When it is in your face, it is harder to be disciplined. Eight of the 12 women in our office are over two hundred pounds each. They are the ones who bring in the food. Misery enjoys company. I like to eat clean. I don't have any crap at my house. Its an office, not a cafeteria. Keep the crap at your desk. Sometimes you look down the hallway and there will be foru or five of them going in one direction or another, and you think "This is a special kind of hell". Very nice people, and its not that I want to work at the Playboy Mansion, but this is truly the other extreme.

One way to trick yourself, TriGirl, is not to say "no", but to say "I think I'll have some of that later, but not right now"--once you get out of there, the impulse goes away, and you won the little battle. After lots of little battles, your discipline gets better. Dsscipline is a habit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I'm wondering if sleep deprevation also plays a part here, or if it is really irrelevant. Does anyone have facts on that??

Yes, personally I've found that sleep deprivation makes a significant impact in the quality of food I desire. Seems there may be a study or two out there that support this relationship.

Alicia

Yes, I too am on Facebook. And LinkedIn. And Twitter. Which begs the question - do I exist in the physical world? Do I?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Tri Girl,

Here's the secret, live to eat well all week but have a day specified in the week that you can cheat, such as I eat and train all week but I look forward to sundays with the fellas eating whatever and drinking watever while watching football. It breaks up the boorish week and most of all IT GIVES YOU SOMETHING TO LOOK FORWARD TO EVERY WEEK, plus ones body responds better to junk food, its better to shock it than stay faithfull with all the good crap, its just my experience and my 2 cents worth, not that it means anything but IT WORKS FOR ME AND IT MAY NOT WORK FOR YOU.

-

I have horrible back problems but I have zero problems staying in an aero position for 180k. Why? Because I ride steep and because I train regularly in that position. Simple as that.....Gerard
Last edited by: Heavy D: Dec 16, 04 5:35
Quote Reply
Re: I'm eating everything in sight!! [Heavy D] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
IT WORKS FOR ME AND IT MAY NOT WORK FOR YOU.
Yeah--very individual. In my case, I just need to get the taste out of my mouth (no crude jokes please) and keep it out.
Quote Reply
Re: I'm eating everything in sight!! [Monk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Quote:

One way to trick yourself, TriGirl, is not to say "no", but to say "I think I'll have some of that later, but not right now"--once you get out of there, the impulse goes away, and you won the little battle. After lots of little battles, your discipline gets better. Dsscipline is a habit.

I agree...say you'll have some later. The impulse won't go away but the rest of the office vultures will surely eat the stuff you're craving by the time your willpower caves. ;) Well, at least that's what happens in my office.

Yesterday I discovered Whoopie Pies. They look like double stuf oreos on steroids. They aren't common in Chicago (probably b/c they aren't deep fried or come with a side of cheese) but someone from back East made them. They looked fantastic so I reluctantly backed away. She brought two dozen of them (24) in at 1 pm and one(1!) was left at 1:30. There are 10 people on my floor. Anyway, I split that one with my co-worker. Good thing b/c I surely could have eaten all 24. Bad thing b/c they were h-e-a-v-e-n.

This post is making me hungry. ;)
Quote Reply

Prev Next