Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Hydration set-up on the bike
Quote | Reply
What is your ideal hydration / nutrition set-up on the bike?
  1. Number of bottles and where on the bike? (between the arms, frame, behind saddle)
  2. What do you put in each bottle?
  3. What and when do you typically refill?
  4. Any differences between full / half distance or just half the amounts?

Of course feel free to add anything but would be nice to see what are everyone's preferences and what is mostly used / done!
Quote Reply
Re: Hydration set-up on the bike [Laurens4790] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Laurens4790 wrote:
  1. Number of bottles and where on the bike? (between the arms, frame, behind saddle)

Of course feel free to add anything but would be nice to see what are everyone's preferences and what is mostly used / done!

As little as possible tbh. For halfs: 1 bottle BTA, will throw it and take a new one in an aid station. That is about it, and i can have all my nutrition in the top tube box.
For ful IM: 1 bottle BTA (sportsdrink), 1 bottle Behind the saddle with water, especially for hotter IMs it is nice to have an extra bottle!

If i had a new and more integrated bike. I would probably go for an integrated BTA bottle (like on the canyon bikes, and then a behind the saddle holder mostly for the empty bottle if i can not fill and drop within aid station.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Laurens4790 wrote:

What I, on my bike, find the ideal set-up:

Full distance:
  1. 2 bottles --> 1 aero in the frame, filled with gel/water mix (4x gel), 1 BTA of 750ml between the arms
  2. aero bottle --> gels/water mixture, BTA, just water
  3. aero bottle is not refilled, it is used for carbohydrates, full distance for me is about 14x gel (4 in aero bottle, 6-8 in bento box, 4 in my small back pocket (i will consume these first). BTA is refilled on every aidstation in hot race (above 20 degrees celsius). Every now and than I take a water bottle and a energy-drink bottle. The energy drink bottle is dumped in the same trash zone after 5-6 gulps
  4. yes, see below
  5. I have 1 BTS cage, which holds a can with spare inner tubs and co canister
Half distance:
  1. 2 bottles --> 1 aero in the frame, filled with gel/water mix (2x gel), 1 BTA of 750ml between the arms
  3. aero bottle is not refilled, it is used for carbohydrates, but not as 'strong' as on a full. Half distance for me is about 6x gel (2 in aero bottle, 4-5 in bento box. BTA is refilled on every other aidstation (or more when realllly hot). Might take a bottle of energy drink instead of water (-1 gel)
  4. yes, see below
  5. I still have 1 BTS cage, which holds a can with spare inner tubs and co canister
1/4 or Olympic distance:
  1. 2 bottles --> 1 aero in the frame, filled with gel/water mix (2x gel), 1 BTA, ideal with straw, no need to refill.
  3. aero bottle is not refilled, it is used for carbohydrates. OD for me is about 4x gel (3 in aero bottle, 1-2 in bento box. No refilling needed.
  4. yes, see below
  5. I still have 1 BTS cage, which holds a can with spare inner tubs and co canister, but race is over, just to finish the race and make it a training day
Ocasional Time Trial
  1. 2 bottles --> 1 aero in the frame, but empty. Just there because it might be faster than no botle (and faster that just the cage). 1BTA to fill the gap between my arm. Not using an liqued when time is less than 30 minutes. Might put a BTA with straw there for longer TT.
  2. aero bottle --> empty, unless realllly long TT (next year I do a 130km TT)
  3. No refilling
  4. I remove the BTS for short TT. For longer I might keep it there, just as a security I can get back home if I flat.

Disclaimer: the bike matters. For my bike, with no integrated storage, this is ideal. It is a bit risky with basically 1 BTA. If I miss a bottle at a aidstation I might be without water for 20km (normal interval for aidstations). That has never happend tough.
Last edited by: Cnasta: Sep 27, 19 2:03
Quote Reply
Re: Hydration set-up on the bike [Cnasta] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wauw, this is really detailed. Thanks!

Any reason you use an aero frame bottle and not one/two bottles behind the saddle?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Laurens4790 wrote:
Wauw, this is really detailed. Thanks!

Any reason you use an aero frame bottle and not one/two bottles behind the saddle?

I believe it is fast. And a BTS bottle is hard to reach and even hard to put back in. And the BTS holds my spares and I really dislike 2x BTS. Looks chunky and can't be aero. At least, def worse than 1x aero bottle (which might even make a bike faster, but normally not slower I believe).
Quote Reply
Re: Hydration set-up on the bike [Cnasta] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What gels do you use? So it’s just 4 gels mixed with water?
Quote Reply
Re: Hydration set-up on the bike [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mickison wrote:
What gels do you use? So it’s just 4 gels mixed with water?

Normally I just use what is on a discount (but I'll test is during training), but I have my favourites. Of course, you should check whether they have enough fuell for you needs. I normally have something like this:

SiS gel --> taste ok, quite liqued, but not too much. Nice package/format for holding 1 in your hands during the run (less to stuff in my back pocket when I leave T1 (and less bulky on my back, which I dislike) so I can start running fast(er) quicker.
GU --> not liqued at all. Very dense. Package is really small, so I can fit them in my bento box easily. Might even tape one top of the bento when I'm short on space. I need water to consume this gel. Not good for the run (for me). Have them with caffeine, which is nice on the end of the ride (for me).
Sanas --> just between Sis and GU in terms of consistancy (liquedness --> is that a word?? Visocisty? whatever, you get the point). Can get it in without water, but normaly I take a sip afterwards. Need to drink anyway.
Xenofit --> cheap and really liqued. Package is a bit too big to stash in my bento or take on the run. I normally put 4 or 5 of these in my aero bottle. Also take this in a training or a short race (will fit 1 or 2 in my bento). No need to take it with water. In my aero bottle I mix it with water, but only because that's easy. It could work if you just fill the bottle with this stuff and take less gels on you bike (in bento/pockets/whatever).

Hope that helps :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BTA for water
Two bts: one for calorie bottle, one for water (for spraying armcoolers/helmet and as backup if I miss a refill at an aid station).

I see a lot of pros going with water up front, one bts for energy drink handups, and gels/bars in the bentos. Some switch the water and gatorade positions.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My ideal hydration set up is three bottles for every race, even a sprint. Because I need everyone to know I'm a long course athlete even though I'm condescending to ride a mere sprint, and I'm so strong who cares about all that extra weight and aero drag. And I use a Rube Goldberg front hydration system that leaks like crazy because my handling skills are so bad I can't learn to drink out of a BTA bottle while staying in aero. And I reach behind my saddle to get my spare bottle, weaving around like crazy, then refill my front hydration system while riding, weaving around and endangering everyone around me and giving up all the supposed aero advantage, but who cares as I will then have that nice convenient straw in front of me to drink out of until the bottle runs out and I repeat the whole process...

OK, snark aside, here's my setup. I run three bottle cages on my bike, a BTA bottle, a down tube bottle cage, and a rear bottle cage (yes, despite my rant above...) The down tube bottle cage is for training, and in case I need to temporarily put a bottle there briefly in a race. The only time I ever load my bike with three bottles is on a long training ride. The down tube cage is a lowly steel one for minimal aero drag as it's almost always empty in a race (although I'll admit to taking the DT bottle cage off for some important races, LOL). I gave up on concentrated solutions as too much risk of stomach upset and primarily use gels with a small amount of solid food.
Sprint: One BTA bottle, partly filled.
Olympic: One BTA bottle (many folks drink way too much). If hot enough to require a second bottle, an extra behind the seat bottle. When the front is empty, I swap with the behind the seat bottle. I try to do the swap on a moderate uphill where the aero penalty is reduced. I've practiced enough to do this move quickly and safely. Never on a fast section. I only drink out of the BTA bottle, the behind the seat bottle is too inconvenient and requires getting out of aero.
Half: One BTA bottle and one behind the seat bottle. I swap as per the Olympic. If it's hot enough to require a third bottle I get that off the course. I no longer do fulls but if I did I'd use this setup.

I personally find it quite easy to drink out of the BTA bottle while staying in aero, this setup is just one of those "Keep it simple stupid" things.
Quote Reply
Re: Hydration set-up on the bike [tttiltheend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Apologies for stupid question what does BTA and BTS stand for?
Quote Reply
Re: Hydration set-up on the bike [Gherkin12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gherkin12 wrote:

Between the arms

Behind the seat
Quote Reply
Re: Hydration set-up on the bike [tttiltheend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tttiltheend wrote:
My ideal hydration set up is three bottles for every race, even a sprint. Because I need everyone to know I'm a long course athlete even though I'm condescending to ride a mere sprint, and I'm so strong who cares about all that extra weight and aero drag. And I use a Rube Goldberg front hydration system that leaks like crazy because my handling skills are so bad I can't learn to drink out of a BTA bottle while staying in aero. And I reach behind my saddle to get my spare bottle, weaving around like crazy, then refill my front hydration system while riding, weaving around and endangering everyone around me and giving up all the supposed aero advantage, but who cares as I will then have that nice convenient straw in front of me to drink out of until the bottle runs out and I repeat the whole process...

OK, snark aside, here's my setup. I run three bottle cages on my bike, a BTA bottle, a down tube bottle cage, and a rear bottle cage (yes, despite my rant above...) The down tube bottle cage is for training, and in case I need to temporarily put a bottle there briefly in a race. The only time I ever load my bike with three bottles is on a long training ride. The down tube cage is a lowly steel one for minimal aero drag as it's almost always empty in a race (although I'll admit to taking the DT bottle cage off for some important races, LOL). I gave up on concentrated solutions as too much risk of stomach upset and primarily use gels with a small amount of solid food.
Sprint: One BTA bottle, partly filled.
Olympic: One BTA bottle (many folks drink way too much). If hot enough to require a second bottle, an extra behind the seat bottle. When the front is empty, I swap with the behind the seat bottle. I try to do the swap on a moderate uphill where the aero penalty is reduced. I've practiced enough to do this move quickly and safely. Never on a fast section. I only drink out of the BTA bottle, the behind the seat bottle is too inconvenient and requires getting out of aero.
Half: One BTA bottle and one behind the seat bottle. I swap as per the Olympic. If it's hot enough to require a third bottle I get that off the course. I no longer do fulls but if I did I'd use this setup.

I personally find it quite easy to drink out of the BTA bottle while staying in aero, this setup is just one of those "Keep it simple stupid" things.

this sounds like the setup I'm moving towards. after about 4 years of using a profile design fc25 I've decided I hate drinking through the damn straw. I'd rather just have a regular bottle BTA. I've also grown tired of managing my pre-mixed nutrition for half/full distance and want to move to taking things off the course.

sprints I don't bother taking a bottle.
Olympic. I take one bottle.
half/full is what I want to change. I may start out with one BTA pre-mixed bottle then take whatever the course has. I'll have to work on drinking from bottle while in aero for flat courses but anything with hills I feel like I can sit up for 2 seconds going up a hill and tank a drink or stretch. I think GTN had a video talking about at what speed the benefits of aero position are minimal making that a good time to sit up.
Quote Reply
Re: Hydration set-up on the bike [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MrTri123 wrote:
Gherkin12 wrote:

Between the arms

Behind the seat

Thank you
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I run a Speedfil F1 - https://speedfil.com/hydration-systems/f1 on Olympic, 70.3, and 140.6 races. (Basically I didn't like the BTA above my bars as I felt I couldn't shift well on climbs. I had a bad habit on climbs of reaching across my body to shift as a result of some arm surgery leaving my arms with significantly different capabilities and I never fixed it after the 3 years of rebuilding it)

Olympic just that (3/4 full) with Infinit or water and with gels.

For 70.3, one BTS, prefill if I'm picky about tailwind/infinit, empty if I'm liking the race provided drinks.

For 140.6 I go full F1, then two BTS, one concentrated and the other empty for picking up water.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I typically need 1 bottle per hour. In each bottle I have eFuel (3.5 scoops = 250 cal). For hot races I add a scoop of base salt. For REALLY hot races, 2 scoops. eFuel has been awesome for me (and eGel on the run) so I’m really not interested in trying to manage on-course nutrition.

For a 1hr race I have a FC35 BTA. I replaced the 2 gaskets on top because it was leaking and now it’s 100x better and doesn’t leak at all.

I have a dual BTS cages that I’ll use to refill the BTA as needed. 70.3 I can get through without stopping. I trained for a full last year and got injured, my plan was to carry my 2 bottles + BTA, and have 3 fresh bottles waiting at special needs to swap out and go, and ditch my empties.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a bottle between my bars and one behind my seat. I'll take the one off the back for anything under a 70.3.

When racing I toss the one in the front, grab the one from the rear. I can (generally) to this without coming out of aero.
Quote Reply