Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Hub recommendations?
Quote | Reply
I purchased some of the remaining Flo 30 rim stock, and ended up with 2 24-hole rims. Like an idiot, I though that the number of holes didn't really matter, that all hubs come in all different hole counts.

I was wrong. Most hubs don't come in 24 hole. My LBS recommends Hope RS4s, and they're undoubtedly good hubs, but before last week I had never heard of this brand (this also shows my ignorance on the topic). They want approx $500 Canadian for the pair, which seems steep for a pair of rims I picked up for $40 each.

So, I have questions:
1. Is that the price I'm looking at for decent hubs for wheels for a an 2x11 Ultegra 6800 bike that will be gently used by my wife for touring 'round the countryside?
2. If it is, are those Hopes any good? He also mentioned DT-Swiss 350s (similar price), but those are out of stock in 24-hole and only come in the end of April
3. Any suggestions for something more budget-friendly? Chain Reaction had a pair of Miches for $150, but when I looked again they were gone in 24-hole. (And I prefer not to order online from the US or the UK because I haven't been friends with Revenue Canada recently)

Halp?

Citizen of the world, former drunkard. Resident Traumatic Brain Injury advocate.
Quote Reply
Re: Hub recommendations? [Richard Blaine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can you order from the US? BikeHubStore has great prices on Bitex hubs. You can get Novatech from BDOP in Taiwan. There is also ebay.

$150 or less will get you a good set of hubs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you're ok with 10 speed you can find an Ultegra 24h hub for $30-40. Great hub. Pair that with any bitex front hub.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hope hubs are very good, actually. But $500 CDN is a bit much. I would look into DT Swiss 350s, they are bombproof.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DT Swiss 240 is the hub that sets the bar for everyone. Best hub out there in my mind.

DT Swiss 350 is a similar hub as the 240 which is made in Taiwan to keep cost down and a different engagement for the Star ratchet, although it can be upgraded to the 240 type ratchet.

Hope is an up and coming hub and I think on par with these DT Swiss hubs. It will most likely be my new set of wheels, but mainly because Hope is the only company that makes an SCS hub for Specialized bikes.

Shimano Ultegra and Dura-Ace hubs will serve you well. Great durability.

Can’t go wrong with any of these choices.
Quote Reply