Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: How wealthy are Triathletes? And how wise? [aravilare] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aravilare wrote:
TLT wrote:
tomk407 wrote:
I get they have may have the money, with the average income for triathletes in six figures

Where did this figure come from? I know a lot of triathletes but none of them come close to 6 figure salaries. Iā€™ve just bought my first Tri bike and paid out around 8k, thatā€™s not because I have that money to burn, I just saw little point in getting a cheaper bike I wouldnā€™t be happy with and end up switching it again in a year or two... and end up with 17 bikes lol. Most people spend quite big on houses and cars so they look cool for the neighbours, whereas my car is a banger as I have no interest in them. Just about where you prioritise your spending really šŸ¤·šŸ»ā€ā™‚ļø

https://www.teamusa.org/...tisport/demographics: median income is $126k.

Pretty shocked at that finding Iā€™ll be honest, are US wages high in general? To be on 100k+ in the UK you have to be in a very high end job. Iā€™d also imagine that since 2009 the average triathlete has changed quite a lot with the better access to the sport.

Edit - just read that study and the $126k figure is household income not just their personal income. Safe to assume a fair proportion of them are married/ have partners so thatā€™s a pretty skewed figure that they are using. But at least it kind of makes more sense.

@the.lazy.triathlete

https://www.strava.com/athletes/18691068
Last edited by: TLT: Jan 17, 20 5:50
Quote Reply
Re: How wealthy are Triathletes? And how wise? [Chemist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
a random stranger on the internet is ranting about how others should spend their money and Iā€™m the dā€”-? Thanks for undescoring my point.
Quote Reply
Re: How wealthy are Triathletes? And how wise? [Chemist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chemist wrote:
DFW_Tri wrote:
Got it. So, 15-20 bikes in 17 years? Who is missing then point? This thread is precious!!

Since it is between him and his wife that breaks down to a new bike every two years. And if that is the only bike he is riding for those two years he is probably putting a decent amount of mileage on it. Plus he said he buys used and in the $2000 range

He is comparing this to some people on here that buy themselves a new >$6000 bike each year. If you do that math on that, the difference in a money spent on bike per person per year is $5000. Seems like significant enough difference for you not to be a dick in your response when heā€™s simply asking a question
No, I think you're definitely one of those missing the point.

If you start a thread to talk about, essentially, about others spending a lot of money perhaps unwisely or flippantly on bikes and then reveal that you (and/or your spouse) are buying bikes at a rate far above what's necessary to remain competitive, without realising you're in the same category, there is irony.....
Quote Reply
Re: How wealthy are Triathletes? And how wise? [aravilare] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aravilare wrote:
TLT wrote:
tomk407 wrote:
I get they have may have the money, with the average income for triathletes in six figures

Where did this figure come from? I

See, that's only USAT members

If that included me, it would drop down to $125 or $124K maybe, depending on the size of the sample, and rounding

When D'Wife & I were first married, we lived in an apartment complex that rented to pro athletes who had just come to Philly, while they were looking for a "real" home

One of my neighbors was Eagles DB Mark McMillian

Not a tall dude, much like myself. He had some friends from the Eagles come over from time to time: Charlie Garner and Vaughn Hebron ... also challenged in the "Must be this tall to ride" category

Anyway, sometimes we four would play basketball at our complex's court. Four guys, average height: 5'7", average salary: $3M ... when I wasn't playing; average salary: $4M

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: How wealthy are Triathletes? And how wise? [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MI_Mumps wrote:
Guitars? Thatā€™s easy! Acoustic, electric, backup electric for shows, electric in open D with higher action for slide playing, maybe another electric in open G. Oh, a 12-string? Acoustic or electric? Donā€™t even get me started on pickups...youā€™re really gonna play a bunch of country stuff with humbuckers instead of single-coil Telecaster pickups?

Let alone basses. Or dobros. Or lap steels.

You can most definitely go as deep as you want on just about any hobby!

This is my neighbor, he has guitars strewn about the house. Some downstairs in the office, some up in the bonus room, random amps so he can play anywhere in the house. But at least with guitars, if you buy right, they CAN maintain their value, or even increase, unlike a bike which is going down only.

As for the bikes, it isn't just rich people, I bought my Madone off a firefighter. Everyone has their hobbies, and you tend to spend your disposable income on things that make you happy. For me, I really enjoy riding good bikes (not great, that doesn't do it). My 9 year old Madone is a BLAST to ride, spirited, quick, light. I don't need a new one, because I like that one. I will happily take a 2-3 year old bike off someone that want's to upgrade to the latest and greatest. I don't need the newest bike to shave the last 2% off my time, I have plenty of low hanging fruit in the engine that needs to be pruned first.
Quote Reply
Re: How wealthy are Triathletes? And how wise? [tomk407] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tomk407 wrote:
I get they have may have the money, with the average income for triathletes in six figures, but how does it make any sense? I guess I kind of answered my own questions.

Where are you getting that the average income for a triathlete is in the 6 figures?
But I do agree that there are many other hobbies that are way more expensive that Tri. I came from another hobby of racing drag cars, and let me tell you.... that hobby is expensive as hell.

- Jordan

My Strava
Quote Reply
Re: How wealthy are Triathletes? And how wise? [Masnart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Masnart wrote:
tomk407 wrote:
I get they have may have the money, with the average income for triathletes in six figures, but how does it make any sense? I guess I kind of answered my own questions.

Where are you getting that the average income for a triathlete is in the 6 figures?
But I do agree that there are many other hobbies that are way more expensive that Tri. I came from another hobby of racing drag cars, and let me tell you.... that hobby is expensive as hell.

Maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I thought Ironman said the median income of IM athletes was $160k......at the pre race banquets, they'd give info about people who race IM. Now, I know that only involves IM athletes, and not all of triathlon, but I found it interesting (and it counts as a source)
Quote Reply
Re: How wealthy are Triathletes? And how wise? [EyeRunMD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
EyeRunMD wrote:
Masnart wrote:
tomk407 wrote:

Maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I thought Ironman said the median income of IM athletes was $160k......at the pre race banquets, they'd give info about people who race IM. Now, I know that only involves IM athletes, and not all of triathlon, but I found it interesting (and it counts as a source)

Interesting. I didn't know about that. And 160 is way different than even 100. Crazy

- Jordan

My Strava
Quote Reply
Re: How wealthy are Triathletes? And how wise? [TLT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TLT wrote:
aravilare wrote:
TLT wrote:
tomk407 wrote:

Where did this figure come from? I know a lot of triathletes but none of them come close to 6 figure salaries. Iā€™ve just bought my first Tri bike and paid out around 8k, thatā€™s not because I have that money to burn, I just saw little point in getting a cheaper bike I wouldnā€™t be happy with and end up switching it again in a year or two... and end up with 17 bikes lol. Most people spend quite big on houses and cars so they look cool for the neighbours, whereas my car is a banger as I have no interest in them. Just about where you prioritise your spending really šŸ¤·šŸ»ā€ā™‚ļø

Pretty shocked at that finding Iā€™ll be honest, are US wages high in general? To be on 100k+ in the UK you have to be in a very high end job. Iā€™d also imagine that since 2009 the average triathlete has changed quite a lot with the better access to the sport.

Edit - just read that study and the $126k figure is household income not just their personal income. Safe to assume a fair proportion of them are married/ have partners so thatā€™s a pretty skewed figure that they are using. But at least it kind of makes more sense.

I don't know what average wages are in the US but I do know a lot of folks who make good six figure incomes, performing a variety of jobs:

administrators (for some) medical practices
Nurse practitioners
Physician assistants
Nurse anesthetists
Engineers
Lawyers
Computers (IT, software engineer, etc...)
Insurance agents
Medical device salesman

Notice, I did not mention physicians or CEOs because I wanted to point out more common jobs in the community. So, yes there are a lot of six figure opportunities if you seek them out (choose wisely, career wise)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The only one on that list that surprised me was the nurse practitioner. But sure enough, here in Texas the median is 106k.

Median wage in the US is 30k. Median US household income is 60k. in rough figures.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Iā€™m not saying there isnā€™t high paid jobs in the community, Iā€™m saying they are most definitely the minority and not typical. For each of those professions youā€™ve listed there will be many people earning sub 100k in them all. They also tend to work a lot more hours. Iā€™m sure they are far more common in the bigger cities. Iā€™d imagine some very high end salaries are really bumping up that ā€˜averageā€™ triathlete income.

@the.lazy.triathlete

Quote Reply
Re: How wealthy are Triathletes? And how wise? [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well most nurses are now classified as non-exempt, so greater than 40 hours in a week (or 8 hours/day in some states) gets them to an OT rate. Holiday and overnight rate offer another pay differential. It can start to add up rather quickly. Having worked with many clients, and seen many types of wages for many jobs/industries, for me, the most surprising was seeing car mechanics pulling in greater than $150k/year (some closer to $200k)....and this was not work on high-end cars.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
The only one on that list that surprised me was the nurse practitioner. But sure enough, here in Texas the median is 106k.

Median wage in the US is 30k. Median US household income is 60k. in rough figures.

I know a lot of nurse practitioners and physician assistants, especially because a lot of them used to be regular RNs before obtaining their advanced degrees. They would talk to me about their job offers so I know there's a good number that make $110-130k/year. Most have very good hours too.

A friend has a brother in law who's a PA for a neurosurgery group. He makes close to $250k per year but he works for it

Several really good friends who work as insurance agents. Takes a while to get established, but once they do, it seems to be a really good gig. Make $100-$200k (or more) and make your own hours. My friends seem to be able to go for a ride or run whenever they like.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The report breaks down the ranges and percentiles.

Income
Average income: $126,000

12.9% have incomes under $50K 14.5% have incomes $50-74,999
16% have incomes $75-$99,999
23.4% have incomes $100-$149,999
12.1% have incomes $150-$199,999
8.4% have incomes $200-$299,999
5.5% have incomes over $300K

Many of the professions he listed have medians WELL above the 100k mark. Nurse practioner was the lowest with a median at 106k, with a range of 98 to 123....in Texas. Also, many of those professions are exempt, and not paid by the hour. So working OT doesn't net any more money.

At the beginning of the report they declare it as median... Above the use the word average. Median is the mid-point where half of the population is less and half is more. It is much less sensative to skew like you describe.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes I noticed they switched from median in their summary to average in their main report. They also call it household income so Iā€™m assuming partner salaries are also taken into account, which makes the figure more reasonable. I also didnā€™t mean overtime bonuses is why they earn more, just that higher end jobs which tend to have more responsibility etc tend to over run the standard 37 hour working week, which doesnā€™t suit everyone, particularly those who train a lot.

I quickly googled nurse practitioner and the first result says ā€œ The average salary for a Nurse Practitioner is Ā£36,779 per year in the United Kingdom.ā€ So Iā€™m guessing itā€™s a different position over the water. Not that Ā£37k a year is a bad wage either, maybe itā€™s a regional thing? I mean I know in Wales where I live an average income of 100k is rare, whether thatā€™s personal or whole household. But triathletes are far from rare here!

@the.lazy.triathlete

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah. I have no idea how to compare data across the pond. But the report was published in US stats, and $126k is roughly 80th percentile for household income here. Obviously, things vary pretty widely across the country with the coastal metroplexes being higher than most of the interior.
Quote Reply
Re: How wealthy are Triathletes? And how wise? [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
aravilare wrote:
TLT wrote:
tomk407 wrote:

If that included me, it would drop down to $125 or $124K maybe, depending on the size of the sample, and rounding

When D'Wife & I were first married, we lived in an apartment complex that rented to pro athletes who had just come to Philly, while they were looking for a "real" home

Not a tall dude, much like myself. He had some friends from the Eagles come over from time to time: Charlie Garner and Vaughn Hebron ... also challenged in the "Must be this tall to ride" category

Anyway, sometimes we four would play basketball at our complex's court. Four guys, average height: 5'7", average salary: $3M ... when I wasn't playing; average salary: $4M

That's like the example a teacher friend of mine gave in explaining how statistics can be skewed: There's a bar in a working class neighborhood in Seattle, with a few dozen construction workers hanging out drinking. Average annual income is $40k. Then Bill Gates walks in, average annual income is now $1 million...

"I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 10, and I don't know why!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tomk407 wrote:
How wealthy are Triathletes? And how wise?

Wealthy: enough to buy a personal lap pool

Wise: enough to put a wave dampening system in it

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Re: How wealthy are Triathletes? And how wise? [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MI_Mumps wrote:
Guitars? Thatā€™s easy! Acoustic, electric, backup electric for shows, electric in open D with higher action for slide playing, maybe another electric in open G. Oh, a 12-string? Acoustic or electric? Donā€™t even get me started on pickups...youā€™re really gonna play a bunch of country stuff with humbuckers instead of single-coil Telecaster pickups?

Let alone basses. Or dobros. Or lap steels.

You can most definitely go as deep as you want on just about any hobby!

Worst of the worst are tuning cars, fishing, high end audios and collecting watches.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No one has any opinions nor data on the "wise" part?

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: How wealthy are Triathletes? And how wise? [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
aravilare wrote:
TLT wrote:
tomk407 wrote:

It works like that for the mean. The number quoted previously was the median.

btw, median household (not individual) income in US is $63k.
Quote Reply
Re: How wealthy are Triathletes? And how wise? [guadzilla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
guadzilla wrote:
HardlyTrying wrote:
guadzilla wrote:
FlashBazbo wrote:

It's a grim life if one does not indulge in some area or the other.

Wow. It's a "grim life" if you're not rich enough to indulge in at least one expensive hobby. Wow.

(don't click. don't click. you know better. it's only going to make you angry. don't click... I clicked)

What language are you speaking, where "indulge" means "rich enough for one expensive hobby"? It sure as sh*t isnt English.

Sorry. The conversation at that point had been entirely about money. You quoted a post listing the prices of motorcycles and responded with a post about $8000 watch parts you collect.

I incorrectly assumed were were still talking about money since that was the only context at the time. My bad. Sorry.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is also influenced by upbringing and culture. I grew up in austere environment and very uneasy with spending money. Even though Iā€™m very comfortable in upper echelons of the USAT stats quoted above, I cannot make myself spending almost anything. I have an entry level 5-year old carbon frame and also amazed how people with significantly lower incomes and kids spending 3-4x on bikes!!!

But well, I wouldnā€™t go as far as judging those people. Severe austerity is also unwise. Iā€™ll probably die with a cheap bike and a very large bank account :)
Quote Reply
Re: How wealthy are Triathletes? And how wise? [Warbird] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Warbird wrote:
RandMart wrote:
aravilare wrote:
TLT wrote:
tomk407 wrote:

That's like the example a teacher friend of mine gave in explaining how statistics can be skewed: There's a bar in a working class neighborhood in Seattle, with a few dozen construction workers hanging out drinking. Average annual income is $40k. Then Bill Gates walks in, average annual income is now $1 million...

When did median mean mean?
Quote Reply
Re: How wealthy are Triathletes? And how wise? [Warbird] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Warbird wrote:

Math seems off - but ok.

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Last edited by: plant_based: Jan 17, 20 13:51
Quote Reply

Prev Next