Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How to swim slowly, politely
Quote | Reply
I'm entered in the Half Ironman California. They do wave starts, every 4 minutes or so. Last year, I had a rush of people passing me every 4 minutes (some by me, some over me). The obvious solution is to swim faster. While I work on that, does anyone have a suggestion on how to stay out of people's way?

I used to swim way on the outside line, but in the last year I've been staying more in the middle, drafting off anyone I could. Both locations seem to be in the way of faster swimmers. I know that some bumps and thumps are part of the game, and that's fine. If I was in the wave in front of you, what would you have me do?

Mr Ed
Triathlete with one horsepower
Quote Reply
Re: How to swim slowly, politely [MrEd13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't really think that there is an easy solution to your problem. This is just like when you're driving and a whole bunch of people come up behind you going 85. No matter what you do, or where you go, you're in the way.

While it sounds courteous of you to find some way to sacrifice your swim to allow others to pass, I think you have no obligation to do so. I would rather say that the onus is on those passing to go around you.

Let me get out of fairyland now. I'm pretty slow in the water myself, so I'm used to getting hammered when the older guys and women go by. When I see them coming, it is just a wall of arms thrashing. I just try to brace myself for when they come by and avoid getting kicked in the face.

On the rare occasion that I pass people, I usually come up behind them to draft then swing out to their left. They don't need to do anything.

------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As one of the people generally doing the passing, I don't want you to do anything different. Hold your line, keep your stroke as normal as possible. Don't flail your arms out to the sides making it harder to pass. Please, please don't start doing the breaststroke.
Quote Reply
Re: How to swim slowly, politely [tom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have to agree, the best approach is to keep swimming a straight line, no matter where you are. The guys / girls coming behind will figure out where to go much easier, since they'll be able to predict where you will be. Don't stop suddenly if you feel someone brush your toes. Any contact will be accidental, and probably not very hard.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First off, MrEd13, tha is very considerate of you. Most people don't seem to give it a second thought.

I guess the solution is to get out of the faster swimmers way (as you proposed) by going to the outside. Of course, you already know the long-term solution is to get faster in the water, but that takes time you may or may not have.

I think staying out of the "fray" and then jumping back in on the tail end of things starts to makes sense. Good thought. I just let myself get pummeled.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't elbow your way to the front of the pack at the start. Stay in the middle or back depending on your ability. I find that in road races, I spend most of the first mile barging my way around slow people (esp. 10-12 y/o kids) who somehow felt they had to have their toe on the line at the sound of the gun.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As others have said- swim as straight as you can at as consistent of a pace as you can, and avoid the breast stroke and side stroke kicking. If you're drafting, draft off the back, not off the side. Having to go around one line of swimmers- not bad. Having to go around a whole aquatic peleton- annoying.

If you swim to the far outside, you're going to have to cut back towards the exit at the end, and it's harder for me to go around someone who had ended up going rather sideways to get to the exit rather than me moving two feet over to get around someone swimming a straighter line.
Quote Reply
Re: How to swim slowly, politely [FLA Jill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"...avoid the breast stroke and side stroke kicking.."

Amen, amen, and amen! Nothing makes me madder than swing out to pass someone (usually from a previous wave) only to get kicked in the head by a breaststroke kick. I will kick back!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks to all you fish out there for the thoughtful responses. It's good to know what you're thinking. If things go well, I'll see you on the run!

Mr Ed
Triathlete with one horsepower
Quote Reply