Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
How to spice up fruit salad?
Quote | Reply
Okay, I'm really getting into this fruit and veggie diet. Does anyone have some good way to spice up fruit salad, while keeping it relatively healthy? Right now I chop up apple, banana, grapes, some blueberries, and my personal fave.........chopped mango. For breakfast I mix with cottage cheese. Afternoon snack - I just eat the fruit.

Looking for some good tips.........things that can be added or your own personal concoction, I'm going to need some variety.

People I've loved, I have no regrets
Some I remember, some I forget
Some of them living, some of them dead
All I want is to be home ".....Foo Fighters, Home

Quote Reply
Re: How to spice up fruit salad? [FooFighterFan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kiwi fruit and fresh pineapple sharpens it up a treat.

"How bad can it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was going to propose Mango, but you already included it. I will recommend adding raisins, and perhaps different types of nuts.

---------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
replace cc with lo fat organic yogurt. put in blender (vanilla PRO powder optional). top with nuts, raisins, oatmeal. eat w/ bowl and spoon = more filling.

watch your body fat closely on this gordo-type diet. its not for everyone, as he will tell you himself. i tried it and quickly dropped to unhealthily low body fat and got a cold. now i include moderate CHO like bagels and rice. mmmm... bagels.
Quote Reply
Re: How to spice up fruit salad? [Pluto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]I was going to propose Mango, but you already included it. I will recommend adding raisins, and perhaps different types of nuts.[/reply]

I'll second the nuts. Very important.

http://www.optruth.org/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Add a spash of vanilla extract (I like the pure stuff) and/or cinnamon. You will have to play with the amounts to suit your taste.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
marshmallows are vegetables, right?

The Dude abides.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
try a dash of cayenne powder so that you get the heat/sweet thing going--this is especially good on fresh cut pineapple. also, nonfat plain yogurt would bring a new deminsion, as would vanilla extract or cinnamon powder on top. adding some nuts in the mix would also make it interesting.

shit, I just read everyone elses...guess I didn't have anything new to add!
Last edited by: kittycat: Feb 23, 05 13:18
Quote Reply
Re: How to spice up fruit salad? [xen355] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
well by most nutritionist info apples are pretty low on the nutrition scale - blueberries are very high though. so are cranberries, mango, papaya.

i vote for anything fresh, local and seasonal. blueberries etc. in january scare me because they come from south america somewhere where pesticide standards are way lower than the US. strawberries are just starting from calif, in a few months (june) will be first cherries, peaches, apricots.

also- nuts are wonferfullly healthy- almonds have calsium, vitamin e etc. also add wheat germ or ground flax seed.
__

don't just do something..... sit there
Quote Reply
Re: How to spice up fruit salad? [kittycat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
adding some nuts in the mix would also make it interesting.
That statement is so true, in almost any context.

"Why do they keep inventing new ways to celebrate mediocrity" -
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Toss it. You can't beat a tossed salad.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nuts. Dried fruit, like dried cranberries or apricot are nice too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
try chopped mint or other herb with alot of aroma, squeeze of lemon or lime (or grate some zest) a splash of vinegar (such as balsamic with a salad that includes berries) splash of sherry (particularly good with berries) a stalk of lemon grass. Change the fruit salad to accompany a meat dish by adding a dash of fish sauce, chopped mint and a crushed dry red chilli

Quote | Reply
tabasco
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I sometimes add honey or fresh squeezed OJ/tangerine juice to the fruit salad. Almonds and dried cranberries are good as well...

----------

“You can't coach desire.” --Dathan Ritzenhein
http://xtreme4.com/ -- an extreme ride for extreme change: go green
Last edited by: audentia: Feb 23, 05 14:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
...or even better file powder and little zatarains cab boil.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What about some dates? Dates are good...dried figs and apricots too, maybe.
Quote Reply
Re: How to spice up fruit salad? [Aaron] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Put it between a cheeseburger...

just a thought...

B.

-------------------------------------------------
http://www.teamorganicnyc.com
Sponsored by: TBA
Quote Reply
Re: How to spice up fruit salad? [njmtbbg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll one up you.

Chocolate. It comes from a bushy bean plant and is therefore a vegetable. Plus, dark chocolate has as many antioxidants as a serving of grape juice or wine. Very good for the heart.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try including a veggie: grated carrots, sweetpeas, sweet corn. Or mix with lettuce.

I often put chopped fruit onto a green leaf salad. For example: Lettuce, chopped apples, balsamic vinegar, salt, olive oil.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't try to mix fruit with anything else. Fruits digest quicker than other kinds of foods whereas cottage cheese takes longer than most other foods. Eat them together and the your body decides to digest at the cottage cheese pace. The fruit ferments. If interested, read up on the art of food combining.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
VOdka!

What's wrong with you people?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I put black pepper on my fruit salad every day. It probably seems weird, but I guess I put quite a bit on just about everything I eat.

also.... ...Cottage cheese, any meat from the night/day before, peanut butter, almond butter, yogurt, walnuts, almonds, hazelnuts, wheat germ, occasionnally granola or other cereals, various dried fruits, sesame seed sticks, pumpkin seeds. I throw anything and everything into the mix (though not necessarily all at once).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Put 2 oranges, 1 apple, 1/2 cup of almonds and a little vanilla extract in a blender until it becomes a paste. It makes a good alternative to cottage cheese. Try a little honey if you need a bit more sweetness...
Quote Reply
Re: How to spice up fruit salad? [kittycat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]try a dash of cayenne powder so that you get the heat/sweet thing going--this is especially good on fresh cut pineapple. also, nonfat plain yogurt would bring a new deminsion, as would vanilla extract or cinnamon powder on top. adding some nuts in the mix would also make it interesting.

shit, I just read everyone elses...guess I didn't have anything new to add![/reply]

Definitely, Agree.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply

Prev Next