Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How to fix a tacoed wheel
Quote | Reply
This was in my daily fitness tip email. I personally like the "slam it against the ground"

A tacoed wheel has been bent into a taco-shell shape after some sort of crash. You unfortunately have no choice but to rebuild it with new spokes and a new rim. However, you at least can bang it back into some semblance of shape to ride back home or toward the nearest repair shop. To fix the wheel:
  1. Remove your wheel by unscrewing the quick release bolt or loosening the nut. Don't slam the quick release mechanism against the ground.
  2. Hold the wheel parallel to the ground with the bend facing downward.
  3. Grip the wheel on either side of the bend and lift it up over your head.
  4. Bring the bent part of the wheel back down, smacking it hard against the ground.
  5. Repeat until the wheel looks fairly straight.

Be careful not to injure your hands as you do this. Also, if you're trying to repair a back wheel, try to not hit the cogwheel against the ground. The cogwheel is the fragile cluster of sprockets attached to the rear hub, which the chain goes through.

Once the wheel is somewhat fixed, you can ride on it, but you'll have to get it rebuilt eventually. You could buy spokes and a rim, to make the new wheel yourself, but if you're not good with tools or unfamiliar with bike mechanics, it's best to have a bike shop build you a new wheel.
Quote Reply
Re: How to fix a tacoed wheel [Tri-ing in TO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LOL- I've generally found that trying to fix broken things by slamming them against the ground inevitably results in bodily injury- either during the "repair" process or while using the "repaired" part afterwards.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can hear the bike mech now. . . "Now let me get this straight, sir. . . You pretzeled your wheel jumping off a 20 foot ravine into large granite boulders, managed to survive the subsequent head smack on the handlebars and boulders, and decided to fix your wheel how?????? By removing the quick release and jamming the hub axle on the deck so that you could force the rim into some semblance of straight? Riiiiiiiiight. Uh. . .sir, if you don't mind my asking. . .did it EVER occur to you that there were bearings attached to that axle? Yeah, I really hate to break this to ya, but I'm afraid you're gonna need an entire new wheel. . . What's that? . . . No, I don't think WD40 or Raceday is going to free up those jammed bearings. But you might try swallowing some to loosen up that jammed brain housing group you've got there. . . Huh?. . . Well you do that, sir. I'm sure Proturberance Cycling will refund your money on that wheel. You're right. No way it should have had such a catastrophic failure. G'day, sir. . . <door slams> MORON!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You don't need to smack it. If you remove the QR skewer, then set the whole weel on the gound, then push steadily against the high points, you will pop it back into shape. It does not take that much pressure to do this.
Quote Reply
How to fix a taco wheel [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Start with some ground beef, next add some lettuce and cheese, and maybe some salsa, depending on taste. A taco not good for much other than food.

-

I don't work here, I just live here
Quote Reply