Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How to deal with exercise induced asthma from fall allergies?
Quote | Reply
Damn this sucks. This fall has been the worst for allergies. From about the third week of August until the first frost I am not really able to run. I can still bike ok but when I run I get some serious asthma after only the first mile or so. Yesterday after a mile I had to turn around and take Albuterol in order to breathe. This only happens in the fall and it all but shuts my training down. Anyone else have this problem? Has anyone found a way to minimize this? Any new remedies from your docs you can recommend?

thx.

----
Don't hold back
Quote Reply
Re: How to deal with exercise induced asthma from fall allergies? [jtaylor1024] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yup happens to me also, infact in the spring I also suffer the same thing. What I do is to prepare for it by taking steriod inhalers, usually doubliing the normal dose for two weeks preceeding tha change in season. This was recommended to me by a sports med doctor who is very experienced with sports induced ashthma. I dont recall what I used but it was Pfizer product, best bet is to find a doc who is on top of asthma care, actually finding a doc that knows a thing or two about asthma is very important if you suffer from it.

Another thing I do is to take warm up really seriously, I start real slow and double the lenght of warm up before taking on the main workout. I have also induced an attack in warm up (controlled environment), recover and then start again. Funny thing this seems to work quite well.

Re: How to deal with exercise induced asthma from fall allergies? [SimpleS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the advice. I just hate taking medicine of any kind so I have always waited to take the inhaler until I couldn't breathe (i.e., i absolutely had to). I have done a bunch of reading today on the topic and it looks pretty common to take the inhaler beforehand (with some side effects). I think I'll run that by my doc and give it a shot.

Come on first snowfall!!

----
Don't hold back
Quote Reply
Re: How to deal with exercise induced asthma from fall allergies? [jtaylor1024] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds like you're on to it--take 2 puffs (albuterol) 10-15min BEFORE exercise. That's what my doc has prescribed and it works fine for me. I still carry my inhaler when training just in case the pre-puffs were ineffective. Foradi (formoterol) may be another option if the aforementioned technique doesn't work for you. I used it for a while with great success, until I switched to a daily Advair dose. So now I'm on daily Advair + albuterol puffs as needed for exercise. Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Note I dont take the steriod at any other time of year, but it does work. It does not work like salbutamol/ventolin which gives instant relief and it needs to be taken for a few weeks consistently to have effect, hence why you take it before the weather changes (before you need it to work) Also I use the ventolin before I work out during this period, again before I need it. I find once it starts the only thing that will help is to stop working out until it passes, even ventolin provides little relief once it starts.

Definitely go see your doc and if he waffles go find another one who knows more about treating asthma in real life situations.

Quote | Reply
The other replies focused on the asthma. How about the allergies? Do you take any thing for them? Have you gone through a desensitization program? Obviously not a quick or short term solution, but desensitization was effective with me. No more asthma crisis, exercise induced or not. All I am left with are 2 allergy seasons: a stronger one in May, for which I take Zyrtec, and a milder one right now, for which I don't do anything.
Quote Reply
Re: How to deal with exercise induced asthma from fall allergies? [Trirunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I went to an allergist when I was young and he said that I am allergic to almost everything. However, the only time I get any symptoms is in the presence of weeds like ragweed (fall). I guess that puts me over the edge. The only thing that seems to work for the symptoms is the old knock you out antihistamines like Benedryl. I tried Claritin this year to no avail. Haven't tried Zyrtec… Maybe it is worth a shot.

----
Don't hold back
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, you may want to try Zyrtec. I tried Claritin before but found that I had better results with Zyrtec (even though I believe they are supposed to be very similar). Don't expect that it will cure you, but I find that it reduces my symptoms by about 30%. In the spring, I will take that over no help at all.

As a side note, I personally don't understand when people complain about the side effects from allergy medication, as the allergies themselves make me 10 times more sleepy than the drugs!
Quote Reply
Re: How to deal with exercise induced asthma from fall allergies? [Trirunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yeah good point, and cranky too GODDAMMIT!

----
Don't hold back
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Forgot about one thing...if your allergies bother you in your sleep, buy one of these HEPA filters and run it in your bedroom. Or, find a clean room near you and go spend 1 hour in it. Instant relief guaranteed!

http://www.costco.com/...av=&cat=&s=1
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would agree with Simple S. on the Steroid inhlaer--I prefer Pulmicort. Some people do well with Montelukast (Singulair). I repeat --SOME. Nasal steroids and/or antihistamines may be of some help.

The inhaled steroids actually begin to work in 1-2 days, but take 1-3 weeks to reach max effect.

Prewheezing can help. If you have time, warm up until you just begin to feel a twinge in your lungs and throat. (I also would take your albuterol at this point.) Rest until it passes (15-20 minutes) then go for it.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Re: How to deal with exercise induced asthma from fall allergies? [docfuel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thx for the advice. Heh heh, that is going to be a good one to explain to my training buddies...

"What are you doing JT?", friend says.

"Oh, just prewheezing.", JT. :-)

----
Don't hold back
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds weird! Works great. I always do it before a race.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply