Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How to change Stem on Trek Speed Concept
Quote | Reply
Hello Everyone,

Can anyone provide step to step procedure on how to change the stem on Trek Speed concept?

My Trek Sc is Generation 2, Series 9, Ultegra Di2

I currently have the High near stem and want to change Mid near stem.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: How to change Stem on Trek Speed Concept [Camper] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can do most things in my sc, but this one I gave the bike mechanic to do. It’s fiddly
Quote Reply
Re: How to change Stem on Trek Speed Concept [IamSpartacus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is easy to do, especially since you are getting shorter, not longer in terms of the cabling. Only cable that will have to be redone is the front brake. This is good practice for if you have to travel & disassemble the front end. A torque wrench will be needed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Take care when seating the new stem, it’s easy to assemble it skewed with a gap appearing between it and the fork.

A little suggestion: How old are the brake cables? - it’s a good opportunity to replace them while you’re at it. Personally I suggest Dura Ace, but other cables are available.

Developing aero, fit and other fun stuff at Red is Faster
Quote Reply
Re: How to change Stem on Trek Speed Concept [SkippyKitten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SkippyKitten wrote:
Take care when seating the new stem, it’s easy to assemble it skewed with a gap appearing between it and the fork.

A little suggestion: How old are the brake cables? - it’s a good opportunity to replace them while you’re at it. Personally I suggest Dura Ace, but other cables are available.

The “gap” had been discussed on the SC thread, and I thought it was determined that there is a spacer placed on purpose, which creates the gap...someone said it’s okay to have the spacer in or out...so I’d like clarification. My new SC has the “gap”, and I thought it was okay...please follow up on your post.

Not everything is as it seems -Mr. Miyagi
Quote Reply
Re: How to change Stem on Trek Speed Concept [chxddstri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The spacer is a recent running change afaik. I believe this is mainly to protect the fork paint.

What I’m talking about is incorrect assembly leading to a noticeable angle between stem and fork when vieved from the side. I never resolved the exact cause, but it is most likely the steerer becoming slightly misaligned. The SC I worked on where this was an issue took a while to fix. Thankfully I was doing a full strip down and clean anyway.

Developing aero, fit and other fun stuff at Red is Faster
Quote Reply